Why would anyone come to this country in this century?

My analysis is Absolutely Subjective, I speak Spanish, like European type culture and ethnicity, enjoy local weather , etc. I have spent time in Thailand and must say the language and the culture are impossible to assimilate and participate, the hot humid weather as well is not my favorite. If the cost of living wasn't such a critical factor, I would select the South of France or Spain.
Yeah, it is that climate that usually ushers me out of Thailand.

This is an interesting thread. With all of the cost of living talk, I'd like to ask the other expats, are you mainly here just because of the cost of living? I've now been here over 3 months and can form a reasonable opinion about BA. I won't say Argentina as a whole because most of my experience is in BA.

I'll start with the direct answer and then provide details. Would I consider living in Argentina permanently? The answer is no. This response is more about how I am as opposed to how Argentina is. It's no secret that this country is more European than Latin. The thing is that, with the exception of Spain, France, Germany, and England, I find the rest of Europe to be utterly boring. It is a cultural thing. I prefer the openness and semi craziness of people from the rest of the countries in the Americas.

I've also never experienced a country that cares so little about your privacy. I've lied about 700 times so far about my identity because of nonsense like having to provide an ID number because you can afford to buy something that costs more than 75 bucks.

With that said, by no means is it a struggle for me to remain here. I do enjoy myself a lot since I obviously take advantage of the positives like being able to live like Bill Gates little brother and easy access to the 11 Mercosur countries. In the end though, I don't need to factor in the cost of living as a main factor to be somewhere. Unless I was going to move to Singapore....

You forgot Tango.
I would argue the health care as well. Better than many in the world, but does not compare with The UK NHS. I often find myself defending the health care here when I am at home, but having watched two people die while the ambulance is stuck in traffic and one while two adjacent buildings have defibrillators that they will not lend out, I would not want to have a heart attack here.
Seriously, bro? Tango? On a list of major quality of life factors?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you were being ironic.

I'm here because my job brought me here. once this is up, I'm going elsewhere.

This is an interesting thread. With all of the cost of living talk, I'd like to ask the other expats, are you mainly here just because of the cost of living? I've now been here over 3 months and can form a reasonable opinion about BA. I won't say Argentina as a whole because most of my experience is in BA.

I'll start with the direct answer and then provide details. Would I consider living in Argentina permanently? The answer is no. This response is more about how I am as opposed to how Argentina is. It's no secret that this country is more European than Latin. The thing is that, with the exception of Spain, France, Germany, and England, I find the rest of Europe to be utterly boring. It is a cultural thing. I prefer the foropenness and semi craziness of people from the rest of the countries in the Americas.

I've also never experienced a country that cares so little about your privacy. I've lied about 700 times so far about my identity because of nonsense like having to provide an ID number because you can afford to buy something that costs more than 75 bucks.

With that said, by no means is it a struggle for me to remain here. I do enjoy myself a lot since I obviously take advantage of the positives like being able to live like Bill Gates little brother and easy access to the 11 Mercosur countries. In the end though, I don't need to factor in the cost of living as a main factor to be somewhere. Unless I was going to move to Singapore....

As I mentioned earlier, for me the choice of Argentina is a summatory of eight factors . The analysis is absolutely Subjective and depends on individual preferences, therefore for some the cost of living factor may not be relevant . Possibly for most retired expats COL is a key factor.

Argentina is a myriad of many experiences depending where you live . Ones experiences in Palermo Soho , Mendoza, Rosario, La Plata . Tucuman , Salta, Chivilcoy , San Carlos de Bariloche are all very different .

I now live in San Carlos de Bariloche and the experience is completely different for me than my life was in Palermo Soho . In all aspects life here feels like another country but with some familiarites that are Argentina . The local people are very different to Porteños who are actually more open and friendly to outsiders than Barilochenses . The positive about the culture here is that people are truer to their word and crime is much lower than Buenos Aires .

San Carlos de Bariloche is currently booming and its a very interesting time to be here now . For those lucky enough to have a property here in this city its a huge blessing now as there is absolutely no apartments for long term rentals available . Most people have their apartments with airbnb here and the rentals are much higher than Buenos Aires . This city for rentals and services is 50% higher than Capital Federal now . The amount of argentinians who want to live here has created this not foreigners who make up no more than 3% of the population here . The photos below are from my rented apartment that I believe has one of the best views of the world . They were taken all from my living room

The benefits of living in San Carlos de Bariloche are the mountains and the wondrous treks . The scenery is exceptional here and on top of Cerro Campinario. Cerro Otto . Cerro Frey the views are amongst the best of the planet . It never ceases to amaze me the wondrous light of Patagonia a bright light unique to the southern hemisphere . The sunrises are sunsets here are outstanding with a stunning array of colours that I have never seen anywhere else in the world . This is what makes life very special here. Its not for everyone of course as the nighlife and city are very chilled but it has a surprising amount of great restaurants and imho the best cafes in Argentina that serve all varieties of coffee and flavours . The icecream and chocolate shops are superb as well but be aware you can pile on the pounds very easily in Bariloche

Attachments

• 00L0L_5FCAR7D6PKez_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    00L0L_5FCAR7D6PKez_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 00909_f4xhmyhmMgjz_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    00909_f4xhmyhmMgjz_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 01010_fK0v6rN9VpRz_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    01010_fK0v6rN9VpRz_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 01616_6Dg457qSOPUz_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    01616_6Dg457qSOPUz_0kE09i_600x450.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, for me the choice of Argentina is a summatory of eight factors . The analysis is absolutely Subjective and depends on individual preferences, therefore for some the cost of living factor may not be relevant . Possibly for most retired expats COL is a key factor.
I think with COL this place makes more sense for Europeans, especially Eastern Europeans. It's very similar in culture. I think for Americans, we'll the typical American, it's a giant change. It's a big difference visiting somewhere and living there, as we all know. But I understand that everyone is different and every American isn't the typical gung-ho free spirit crazy person. So it is a good thing for many to be here. The truth is that it's very hard to get everything you want in a country. And being born American is even worse if you want to leave because it's practically the only country that taxes it's citizens who don't live or earn income there. So us Americans are always trying to figure out how to not get double taxed. That point is moot though for everyone working remotely from a different country since they face double taxation as well... unless the country they make money from is tax free.

I think with COL this place makes more sense for Europeans, especially Eastern Europeans. It's very similar in culture. I think for Americans, we'll the typical American, it's a giant change. It's a big difference visiting somewhere and living there, as we all know. But I understand that everyone is different and every American isn't the typical gung-ho free spirit crazy person. So it is a good thing for many to be here. The truth is that it's very hard to get everything you want in a country. And being born American is even worse if you want to leave because it's practically the only country that taxes it's citizens who don't live or earn income there. So us Americans are always trying to figure out how to not get double taxed. That point is moot though for everyone working remotely from a different country since they face double taxation as well... unless the country they make money from is tax free.
The Land of the Big PX has a lot of comforts you won't find much of anywhere else. When I came home from my first time overseas in '79, I was so happy to be back in the USA I could have cried. Then again, the US was a far different place in 1979 than it is today.

Please explain what is it about Argentina that makes you want to flee from it ?
flee is not an accurate description. i just don't want to live forever with the constant economic issues/constraints and headaches this country brings. i've been here 5 years already, that's about enough for me.

Back