Will pizza oust steak as Argentina's favourite dish?

El Duderino

Registered
Steak's days as the favourite dish for Argentines when they eat out could be numbered.

Its main rival, the pizza, is mounting a strong challenge to be the most popular gastronomic option in the capital, Buenos Aires.

According to a recent study done by the Buenos Aires city government, the number of pizza restaurants is growing so fast that they could overtake the amount of steak houses in the next two years.

There are currently 650 pizzerias in the capital and 780 steak houses, or "parrillas" as they are known locally.

"We found a growing interest from investors and business people in the pizza segment of the dining out market. So we believe that they will keep multiplying all over the city," says Monica Kapusta, a city official who was involved in the research.

There is already evidence of this in most streets of the Argentine capital.

Stroll down any busy High Street and you are likely to see more options for pizza than steak.

This may come as a surprise for the three million foreign tourists who come to Buenos Aires every year, many seeking to try for themselves the renowned Argentine beef.

After all, Argentina has the biggest annual beef consumption per capita in the world, with an average of 55.7kg (128lbs).

But pizzas do not lag far behind.

Official statistics show that some 14 million pizzas are consumed annually in Buenos Aires, in a market that is valued at some $250m (£160m) per year.

According to city officials, this puts Argentina in the top three pizza-eating countries in the world, behind the US and Italy.

Origins
The pizza arrived in Argentina in the 19th Century with the waves of Italian immigrants.

The Italians first settled in La Boca neighbourhood in Buenos Aires, and almost immediately pizzerias started to appear.

But over the years, the Argentine pizza began to differ from its Italian original.

One big difference is its thickness.

In Buenos Aires most pizzas will be up to 2.5cm (1in) thick, almost double its thin ancestor from Naples, where pizzas are said to have originated.

"The Argentine pizza also has much more cheese than the one made in Italy," says Carlos Rivero, a pizza chef with 16 years' experience.

But there is also one main reason, according to market analysts, that might explain why is the pizza becoming so popular: its cost.

Money talks
The average steak - the popular "bife de chorizo"- can cost some $12.50 in an average restaurant in Buenos Aires.

A pizza with four slices, enough for one person, will probably cost half that.

"People might be increasingly opting for pizza when they go out because they are simply seeking to save some money, as steak houses are more expensive," says Ximena Diaz Alarcon, a researcher from market and trends consultancy Trendsity.

"I do not think this is reflecting a massive cultural change or shift in consumption patterns in households, where beef is still the staple food of choice," she adds.

Argentina has one of the highest inflation rates in the Americas. The official figure is almost 10% per year, but analysts says it is running at double that.

Farmers say that the beef's increased cost in recent years explains the sharp drop in its consumption over the last decade.

In 2000, Argentines ate 64.4kg per habitant per year, whilst in 2010 that was down to 55.7kg.

A key factor has been a significant reduction in the number of cattle, as some farmers have found it more lucrative to use their land for other, highly sought commodities like soybean.

Also, farmers say that government restrictions on beef exports - which attempt to keep a leash on internal prices, have led to a lack of incentive in production.

"But when families at home seek to replace the expensive beef they would not start eating pizza, they would just buy cheaper cuts," says Ms Diaz Alarcon.

Owners of pizza restaurants in Buenos Aires are living in what they say are "happy days".

"The pizza was never so popular. We have had a big boost in demand in recent years," says Rodolfo Palmieri, manager of Piola, a popular pizzeria in Buenos Aires.

If the current trend continues, it might just be that visitors to Buenos Aires will start hearing beforehand more about its pizzas than its steaks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16082489

Found this article interesting. I met a snobby Argentine the other night who told me that Argentina pizza is like Italian pizza. That was probably the stupidest thing I've heard all week.

Argentina has one of the highest inflation rates in the Americas. The official figure is almost 10% per year, but analysts says it is running at double that.

lol, try triple or quadruple.

I know, I know. Blah blah blah inflation blah blah the food here sucks.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I don't eat meat but my husband went to the same local parilla with his friends every couple of weeks for about 5 years. In the past six months they've switched grills 4 or 5 times as the quality just keeps going down hill. I think pizza is going the same way though. I've never been a big fan of it here but for the past year, everytime I've eaten pizza out (including the nicer places), I've had horrible stomach cramps and even vomiting afterwards. I think it's because more restaurants are substituting mozzarella for that god-awful, oily Cremon-type cheese in order to save money.

Carbohydrates are the leading cause of obesity and Pizza Argentinian style is guaranteed to make you pile on the pounds.
If you look at Argentinans from 20 years ago when then ate nearly twice per capita the amount of grass fed meat per person obesity was rare . The caveman diet really works as our bodies were not designed to consume processed foods laden with fructose, hormones , and dangerous chemicals.

Pizza in Argentina is pretty bad but i'd like to know where the $12.50 bife de chorizo's are or is that in dollars?

According to NaturalNews.com, the U.S. (EEUU) Congress wants to classify pizza as a vegetable !!! Honest. Read it.
I ran into a friend at Disco Quintana, this morning. She was very disappointed. She couldn't find her favorite brand of meat and was told that the company went bankrupt.

scotttswan said:
Pizza in Argentina is pretty bad but i'd like to know where the $12.50 bife de chorizo's are or is that in dollars?
Probably dollars

perry said:
Carbohydrates are the leading cause of obesity and Pizza Argentinian style is guaranteed to make you pile on the pounds.
If you look at Argentinans from 20 years ago when then ate nearly twice per capita the amount of grass fed meat per person obesity was rare . The caveman diet really works as our bodies were not designed to consume processed foods laden with fructose, hormones , and dangerous chemicals.

Good luck finding grass fed beef today. It is quickly disappearing in Argentina. More's the pity.

Duderino,
Gotta cut you short there, cos you're talking a load of old cods ! I have been living here for more than 20 years and both beef (parilla, asado) and pizza are ingrained parts of the local cuisine. There is absolutely no way that the beef will be overtaken by pizza, just that fewer people can afford to go out to eat beef. The asado is in any case more of a traditional family meal, just as Sunday Lunch in the UK, fact is the amounts of beef consumed here are record breaking. You should check your facts, I could easily look it up but dont want to embarass you dude, especially as it looks like you aint getting enuff beef mate, later

pizza in argentina is bad; i cant believe they consider it to be good.

"it's italian" some people say. they have never been in Italy, for sure.

and i agree, pizza will never take over beef, ever... (i dont eat beef, but i bet beef is better)

There is some good pizza here. It just takes awhile to find it... Personally, Romario, La Guitarrita and Siamo Nel Forno as some of my favorites.

Back