Will the election increase expatrism?

Quoting "Napoleon": ". . . . these are the people who can afford to travel here in the first place. . . ."
Which is one reason why (it seems) ex-Democrats outnumber ex-Republicans among ex-Americans in Buenos Aires (or, perhaps, in Argentina in general).

lol - Napolean, you're talking about tourists - not expats. Big difference in coming for vacation vs moving here.
My unscientific survey of all the expats I know, it would be about 80% dems, 20% repubs.

Remind me which part of Carilo or Bariloche you live in.
Thanks

Fair enough, i have no idea of the expat community outside BsAs. Perhaps there are thousands of Republicans living in Bariloche.
But I have a question back - how many people you're talking about that actually "live" year-round in Bariloche, etc. Because to me, when we're talking about "expats", I'm not talking about the people that come here for 3 months for polo season or 3 months for ski season. I'm talking about people that move here and stay here.
I'd still be willing to bet just about anything, we're not going to see a huge influx of Republicans fleeing to Argentina to LIVE if Obama wins.
I also don't think we're going to see a huge flux of Democrats either if McCain wins.

PS - Pretty sure a lot of residents of those Blue States (you know like NY & California) can afford to live here ;)

I would estimate the number of Americans living in Bariloche full time/year round to be around. I am shocked that the number is so low. BTW, Out of the 10 or so I actually know, I would say the are overwhelming Democrat. But I think almost any mountain town would be so.
Napolean, I gotta strongly disagree on your assessment. I believe Republicans have way too much national pride to ever leave the States.

"soulskier" said:
Napolean, I gotta strongly disagree on your assessment. I believe Republicans have way too much national pride to ever leave the States.
You may be right. I'm not going to stand at EZE and take a survey over the next 5 months... because I don't really care. But...
I do know that living in a country were you can be waited on hand and foot and you can shoot birds until you run out of shells (because there is no limit) is close to heaven for some people. And if they are at the right age, they might want to get out for a while. I doubt it, but could be.
I will say that there's not going to be a huge influx of Ds because someone who is much more middle of the road than Bush on MANY issues gets elected. McCain is the farthest thing from "4 more years" that the Republicans have in their party.

"Napoleon" said:
I will say that there's not going to be a huge influx of Ds because someone who is much more middle of the road than Bush on MANY issues gets elected. McCain is the farthest thing from "4 more years" that the Republicans have in their party.
You obviously haven't chatted with too many democrats and heard their opinions, I think you would be surprised.

Well, Soulskier asked me to join this thread, so herewith...I am not a wealthy (or even near-wealthy) NY democrat. The notion of a Sarah Palin presidency (it will come to that) frightens the be-Jeebus out of me. She is a serial liar (Bridge to Nowhere) & crony-sponsor supreme(
So when there was a vacancy at the top of the State
Division of Agriculture, [Palin] appointed a high school classmate,
Franci Havemeister, to the $95,000-a-year directorship. A former real
estate agent, Ms. Havemeister cited her childhood love of cows as one
of her qualifications for running the roughly $2 million agency.)She is also a Christianist 'end-timer' -- Book of Revelations, Rapture-ready gal who can conceivably be President!!?? This is a situation that should cause anyone with a brain to REALLY PONDER the consequences. I myself am under no delusions as to the moral supremacy vis a vis the US vs. Argentina.I'd really prefer not to exile/expat myself (I've a good life here) but the situation here in the US does make one reflect on something else, somewhere.

The sad issue for me is making THAT life changing decision. You see, I have about four years left in the service. Personally, I'm tired of playing the war games. I've been to the 'sandbox' 6 times. I know I stand to make good money when I retire, hence wanting to move to BA, but part of me just wants to call it quits. It's not just me though. Many of my military buddies are on the verge of leaving too. It's not that we aren't patriotic, we're just sick of the States and all the 'Politricks.' I used to live in Naples, Italy, and that was a corrupt city. But I never worried about money and working all the time. The lifestyle was so different over in Europe. I also know that there's problems EVERYWHERE you go, but I think after living in Europe for almost 10 years, that I'm tired of the States. Therefore I will most likely pack up my things and make that exodus. So many foreigners want to see the States, and that's understandable, but I wish people in the States can see the rest of the world too. It's such a beautiful place...you just have idiots that want to destroy it... I'm Darrell, and I approve this message.

Back