Word of the Day:

@emilyr: ¡qué poronga! may be used in a similar way as ¡qué trucho!, specially when talking about objects or situations, not about people! For example: ¡qué poronga este televisor!
Notice that porongo has nothing to do with that. Beware: Not all people in BA know what a porongo is and may missunderstand you.
@HenryNisental und Alzinho: as far as I know, ¿qué horas son? is not correct. It should be: ¿qué hora es?

malbec said:
@HenryNisental und Alzinho: as far as I know, ¿qué horas son? is not correct. It should be: ¿qué hora es?

I think that's a rhyming invention of Manu Chao, unless anyone else knows differently.

¿qué horas son? mi corazón runs through La Primavera (and other tracks) on the Próxima Estación Esperanza album.

Unfortunately once heard, the rhyme is very addictive and I often find I'm saying it to myself as I glance at my reloj.

Like being unable to resist saying how come you taste so good? when I open a pack of Brown Sugar :)
Oh: is that only me then? :eek:

Just wanted to add one of my favorite Spanish words to say, albóndigas!
albóndigas = meatballs.

Ni en pedo! (nae chance, no way) has taken my bf a long way.
It's one of the first colloquial expressions he learnt from me when he arrived along with the also very useful Dale, daleeee! (come on, come on) and Para joder (just because but very emphatically, suggesting that the person who does it may also be enjoying being annoying by doing so hahaha) eg: the neverending demonstrations and protests blocking roads on the news day after day :D

JoeKelly711 said:
Just wanted to add one of my favorite Spanish words to say, albóndigas!
albóndigas = meatballs.

Favorite words.
My favorite word is "azafata". It sounds so funny & I like saying it. Too bad there just aren't enough opportunities to use it on a day to day basis. Although: mi prima es azafata.

Alzinho said:
That's not a very nice thing to say about her!

;)

Poor thing! She's not at all! But thanks for showing me that this word is much more useful than I originally thought.

Here is a new one to learn: CANA
Cana: white hair, but also it may mean
police (la cana)
a sin (tirarse una cana al aire)
prison or jail (estuve en cana!)

Alzinho said:
That's not a very nice thing to say about her!

;)

hahahahaha oh man that one killed me. Thanks. It reminds me of when I took some alfajores home to my family and pronounced the word the English way without the final "e" and said, "Hey Mom, I brought you some alfajors." :) Fittingly, my mom now requests simply 'jors.

Some additions to the thread:

• I remember asking my Spanish teacher two years ago if "que hora son" was correct and she gave me a 100% no answer. I work with a lot of volunteers who generally have intermediate Spanish and they are ALWAYS arguing with me over this one, saying they have SEEN it in dictionaries somewhere. No one has ever been able to find this dictionary entry again. Additionally, I work with volunteers who work with children, and either 1) "Que hora son" is a common child error or 2) the volunteers have succeeded in teaching the children these bad speaking habits before I have been able to instill good grammar in the volunteers.

• Many of my favorite Spanish words have already been covered, including porquería, pavada, macana (which is a mother-in-law friendly way to say "que cagada"), and all time fave boludez, but I also enjoy some of the good words used to cover up for the bad words (I try not to have too much of a potty mouth, ever since I was scolded by a señora for saying boludo at a sit-down dinner). My faves: Que miércoles and la pucha que te parió, which usually just is "la pucha...!" because everyone knows how that one ends. :cool: Another one I hear often enough and that I know is quite bad is "para el orto." As in, after a particularly bad showing in a game, "that player jugó para el orto." Orto literally means asshole or rectum and translates to "really fucking bad." And oh! Another one I like, which is kind of similar, is "cara de culo" (or "cara de orto" if you want to be extra-vulgar), as in, "esa chica está con cara de culo," which does NOT mean she is ugly as one might think, but that she has her bitch-face on and must be in a really bad mood. I play polo here with a bunch of men and I occasionally get frustrated by their macho disregard and lack of respect for my sportiness and horse-savvy, in which moments and I am lightly made fun of and told, "no se juega el polo con cara de culo." Which is true.

Back