Would you move a family to Argentina...?

demokritos said:
Don't most apartments here have their own water tanks? Or is that only houses and PHs?

You need electric power to fill them, that's one of the reasons why I mentioned the 10 days blackout at the heart of the city.

Guys, I will avoid launching into further horror stories but as you can see I enjoy being here and ,at the best of my abilities, bridge our practical and cultural differences and help whenever I can,

DavieW said:
No. I do have a sense of humour though, which clearly puts me one up on you!

All people like you, who live in a fool's paradise, think they have got one up on all others, they encounter. I don't blame you. I genuinely feel sorry for you for your lack of awareness.

Now you can continue rolling on the floor, laughing and enjoying your sense of humor, as long as it lasts.

earlyretirement said:
It's not true however, that no one knew the crash was coming back in 2001. Many people were "in the know" before the crash and I personally know quite a few locals that knew something like that was coming.

You are right, few knew and most chose to ignore the impending disaster.

A large amount of the population chose to reelect the President hoping that it would allow them to continue to live beyond their means and using credit. They put the rope around their necks themselves and voted let's take another step in the same direction while hoping for the best.

Does this sound familiar? 54% anyone?

When the Ks took power there was no way but up. Yet Nestor did not beat Menem. He got reelected because he could not lose.
Now fear and lack of a remotedly capable opposition wins the elections for them.

Ceviche said:
All people like you, who live in a fool's paradise, think they have got one up on all others, they encounter. I don't blame you. I genuinely feel sorry for you for your lack of awareness.

Ceviche....you have completely lost the plot mate!
At no point have a I criticized anything you've said - go back and check - and yet you continue to be condescending. I don't know if you've got a beef with me over something I've said on another thread, but you're just making yourself look silly now. Or maybe your English just isn't good enough to understand my replies - in which case, I'm sorry to have confused you.

Here's an example:
After you listed what you claim everyone should do to protect their future (have various properties in different countries and a supply of gold), I replied with
DavieW said:
Yeah, that really helps Ceviche....now, can you lend me the USD500,000 I'll need to buy all these properties and gold?

;-)

Now, even if your English isn't good enough to understand the humour behind the words, the universality of the ";-)" should have alerted you to the levity of the reply.

Chill out dude.

DavieW said:
Or maybe your English just isn't good enough to understand my replies

Ok. Off to hire one of the English teachers on this forum to teach me English language.

Thanks for enlightening me and making me understand , what a poor grasp, I have of English language.

Now you can continue rolling on the floor laughing at my points.

Ceviche out ... of this discussion.

Hey Señor Ceviche, guat cain of a gringo ar iu? Iur inglich is puur, kant iu si? :p

DavieW said:
Ceviche....you have completely lost the plot mate!
At no point have a I criticized anything you've said - go back and check - and yet you continue to be condescending. I don't know if you've got a beef with me over something I've said on another thread, but you're just making yourself look silly now. Or maybe your English just isn't good enough to understand my replies - in which case, I'm sorry to have confused you.

Here's an example:
After you listed what you claim everyone should do to protect their future (have various properties in different countries and a supply of gold), I replied with

Now, even if your English isn't good enough to understand the humour behind the words, the universality of the ";-)" should have alerted you to the levity of the reply.

Chill out dude.

I think you both should call a truce. Sometimes it's difficult to tell on the internet when people are joking around or being sarcastic and people get offended. To me it's clear that Davie was just joking around and didn't mean any offense.

You hear a comment like "have another apartment ready in another country" and you might make a joking comment. So that is natural. And Ceviche it sounds like you took great offense because maybe others joked in the past that it's impossible and you get more easily bruised.

But not worth arguing over a simple misunderstanding. The internet is great but at times it causes people to argue over simple arguments from misunderstandings about their post.

Not worth getting offended or argue over a simple joke. IMHO. These message boards are about learning, growing and finding out about stuff you might not have if you didn't read it.

So forget about the joke and let's move on.

earlyretirement said:
Yes. And a LARGE amount of the population were paid to vote for CFK as well. Politics as usual in Argentina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyPC0SD0PGw

The sad thing is that this isnt just restricted to federal elections, happens in the provincia as well. My girlfriends brother (who lives in Tucuman) was telling me how one of his colleagues is a Puntero.

Iznogud said:
You need electric power to fill them, that's one of the reasons why I mentioned the 10 days blackout at the heart of the city.
Right, and presumably the mains get shut off in real disaster situations*– I'm just pointing it out because I can't see how it would be preferable to buy 10-gallon jugs of water, or whatever people are thinking, rather than relying on their 1000L water tanks + heavy rationing in a 10-day blackout situation. In a 5-person household, that'd be 20liters of water/day/person. Sorry to derail the thread, I was just curious as to why people would want to stock up on bottled water (canned goods obviously make a lot of sense, on the other hand).

Back