Xmas Rental Nightmare - Advice Please - Where To From Here ?

Yeah - I think you're right Garry - he really does seem genuine and genuinely P...d off that is lady is such an idiot - he has made it very clear he is going to do his best to make it as easy as possible for us and like I said I suspect he has an apartment in the building that she probably doesn't know about (maybe in the name of one of his partners or the company or whatever) and if its just a matter of doing a few dozen trips in the elevator with the basics and if there is a phone line and wifi in that apartment as well - well, compared to all the other options this is still the best one I think :) Sorry to all if I am looking like a bit of a drama queen but this is NOT a good time of the year to be looking at getting kicked out of your apartment and I guess I went straight into knee jerk reaction mode and was ready to go on the warpath - I work long hours online and on the phone and now with my online trading and the rest of it and I just DON'T need (and can't handle) the disruption...

If they have another apt in the building, it should work out Just bring the clothes, etc and look at it as a little "staycation" for a month. It is not a fun time to be moving and I totally get your initial frustration. But it sounds like this guy is doing the best to make it work so fingers crossed all goes smoothly!

PPS As you can probably all ''read between the lines'' (don't want to drop names here of course) the guy - the husband - who would be about 80 or so now (but doesn't look it) is a very famous lawyer here and I think was one of their supreme court judges in the old days or something and is ''very connected'' (feedback from several people) and I get the feeling that whilst it seem he has taken a genuine liking to me and personally wants to ''hang onto us'' as tenants - well I get the feeling (and its been hinted) that he is one of those people here you definitely do NOT want to make an enemy out of... Of course - the apartment (the one we are in) is in her name - its ''her baby'' - between the two of them they own many apartments and properties and substantial lands in other places up north etc - however he has promised to talk to her and come up with a solution/compromise as soon as possible...

OK, Juan-cito.
Bottom line guys - based on this update I am giving you all - how would YOU play it ? :) And yes, I have BEEN very tempted to start swinging my 350 year old (but still razor sharp lol) katana - but its been years since I was heavily into Iaido/Iai-jutsu/Batto-jutsu and if I damaged the edge taking out the landlady and the apartment it would cost a fortune to send back to Japan for a fresh polish (nah, just kidding...:)
========================================================================================
So you must be working as Kendo master there in Argentina.? Where is your Dojo located? Stayed long in Japan, polishing your Kendo skill? 350 Y/O Katanas, that I have got to see ! Can I re-polish your Katana for free when I get there? Of course, you already know that the Katana blade needs polishing and conditioning from time to time...BTW, on your "temporary moving out" you should get the new contract drawn and must stipulate that you two are "temp vacating" for a few weeks...Dealin' with a lawyer, you never know..

Just a quick tip for those who want to avoid the problems faced, even by me in my early tango BA years, go to a good agent to rent a property. I use Buenos Aires Stay and have done for many years now. The agency has changed hands and my dear Andrew and Laura are long gone, but talk to Phillip Sparks (English owner) based in Montevideo - www.buenosairesstay.com - [email protected].

Many tango people I know and that I have recommended use this agency for years and years, they always get it right or get it sorted. Things do go wrong in apartments like they do at home, but when left to their own devices (without an agent to help negotiate) and with the prospect of spending a few dollars more, our normally wonderful and delightful hosts can tend to morph into something quite different!

I own a rental property here (commercial) and have never written a lease with increases of more than 20% per year. I also made a deal with the current tenant when she rented the property for her to do some repairs on her own in exchange for a couple of months rent free up front. I have never once had a late rent payment, expensas paid on time each and every month, and the property is kept in good shape. Even though I have a management company collect the rent and manage any issues that come up (they are pretty useless actually) I still go into the business from time to time to say hi and recommend the place to others. A bit of common sense and goodwill go a long way in business relationships. Of course here most landlords treat tenants like cash machines and don't give any thought to rewarding a "good customer" and trying to hold on to them for the long term. We all want to maximize profits, but it's not intelligent to be abusive with these things as they always come back to haunt you. I feel really sorry for this tenant and think the landlord is a total DORK!!

If they have another apartment in the same building, the famous doctor should stay there. As a famous lawyer he should know that forgetting is not a good legal excuse.
Unless you have pot plants or lots of drugs on the premise (sounds like you don´t) sit tight.
And be careful about "he´s a famous lawyer" "he´s a famous doctor". . . in my experience there is a lot of bluffing in this, and the portero who knows everyones secrets can have more power than these clowns.

If they have another apartment in the same building, the famous doctor should stay there. As a famous lawyer he should know that forgetting is not a good legal excuse.
Unless you have pot plants or lots of drugs on the premise (sounds like you don´t) sit tight.
And be careful about "he´s a famous lawyer" "he´s a famous doctor". . . in my experience there is a lot of bluffing in this, and the portero who knows everyones secrets can have more power than these clowns.

Agree!! Seems to make more sense to just have the doctor stay in the other apartment, if said aparment exists and is comparable.

its ridiculous that a lawyer would give an excuse that weak. He forgot? That sounds like a personal problem to me. Whatever you do moving forward, GET IT IN WRITING.

I'd be pretty wary about giving these guys any money upfront - whether or not you think the husband is a good guy he's still willing to join his wife in screwing you over this time around, what's to say he won't join her in screwing you over next time too?

As for his wife not being aware of his other apartments - well, if he is willing to be that dishonest with his own wife what makes you think he wouldn't be dishonest with you, someone he barely knows?

Agreed. And even so...how are all these "famous" people helping YOU out?

Back