xxx....and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say D-line is least BUT nasty things can happen at any time any-line.!

Alzinho said:
16 being the number of times I have now been robbed since coming to Argentina 3 years ago

Sorry to hear you were robbed...again

Can you give some insight into the other situations when you were.....Are you going to the wrong places or just unlucky?

And you know what's worse than being robbed?

Condescending know-alls telling you what you're doing wrong!

I'm 50+ years old, have been traveling around the world for 30+ years and have lived on 4 different continents FFS! I'm not a greenhorn kid on his first trip away from home.

I have a nice watch and a nice mobile phone, but I also have a crap watch and mobile phone for traveling around the city - they're the ones I had with me. I was waiting for a text message to tell me where to get off the subte to go and meet my ex and pick up my son - I had to read it. And when doing so I held on to the phone with both hands and therefore avoided having it stolen, despite the best efforts of my assailant.

And where's the advice on how to prevent someone from entering your house and burgling it (3 of the 16 robberies), or stealing your luggage from the hold of a long-distance bus journey (2 of the 16), or when the police take you out of a cab and question you, threatening to plant drugs on you and put a bullet through your head before asking for a 'tip' to let you go back to your hotel?

Besides: "never use a phone", "never go out with cards", "never talk to people in the street"?
What kind of a life is that? That's letting the bastards win! I don't want to hear any more excuses for unacceptable behaviour thank you very much. Face the facts - crime is rife in Argentina, and if you've got the face of a gringo you're considered fair game.

I'm taking all the sensible precautions I can - the only thing I'm doing wrong....is that I'm a foreigner.

andcwilly said:
what subte line were you on? which do you guys think is the most dangerous?

I was on Linea A.
I don't think the subte is 'dangerous' to be honest. I got pick-pocketed by a known and very well organized gang when I first came here 3 years ago and this was an attempted grab-and-run. I've never felt threatened or in danger on the subte really.

Alzinho said:
And you know what's worse than being robbed?

Condescending know-alls telling you what you're doing wrong!

If you don´t want to accept our advices maybe you shouldn´t tell us your bad experiences... ;)

I'm 50+ years old, have been traveling around the world for 30+ years and have lived on 4 different continents FFS!

And why did you choose Buenos Aires? If you choose a city with 14.000.000 of inhabitants and full villas you have more chances of getting robbed, mugged, etc! :rolleyes: I live in a amall town and it´s very peaceful here...

Besides: "never use a phone", "never go out with cards", "never talk to people in the street"?
What kind of a life is that?

The life you choose, I don´t want to live in Buenos Aires for that reason...

Face the facts - crime is rife in Argentina, and if you've got the face of a gringo you're considered fair game.

Wrong! crime is rife in Buenos Aires (a city with 14.000.000 of inhabitans and full of villas)... not in the entire Argentina.

And if you got the face of a gringo most of argentinians would think you´re just a white argentinian... the only way to recognize a gringo is hearing them speaking in their languages, or seeing them studying the map of Buenos Aires on the sidewalk or seeing them in touristic places...

Alzinho said:
What kind of a life is that? That's letting the bastards win! I don't want to hear any more excuses for unacceptable behaviour thank you very much. Face the facts - crime is rife in Argentina, and if you've got the face of a gringo you're considered fair game.

I'm taking all the sensible precautions I can - the only thing I'm doing wrong....is that I'm a foreigner.

how condescending! 99.9% of the crime committed in argentina is committed by argentines against argentines. Or you think people trying to grab your "expat treasures" on a subte somehow "counts more"?

you've been a victim of crime 16 times in a year. Whether you want to hear it or not, here is a little fact for you: you're certainly doing something wrong which you need to change. Or, yes, you'll continue to come back on this thread updating the 16 to a higher figure. Sixteen times in a year is ludicrous. The blame doesn't lie with the argentines (you know...the ones you are convinced are out to "get" rich white foreigners), it lies, at least in part, squarely with you.

still, once every 2 months!! My point stands...it's clear some of what's happened to him has been out of his control. It equally clear that some of what's happened to him has been very much in his control. The golden rules posted by someone above were actually a good example of the type of thing one must do in big old cities to reduce the risk. But he just dissed them. I await this thread's update in June.

When I said "Condescending know-alls telling you what you're doing wrong", what I really meant was "Condescending know-all (ie. almagestos) telling you what you're doing wrong".

Why are you on this forum for BA expats exactly? You're not an expat and you don't live in BA and all you do is whinge about foreigners and do your best to piss us off. You constantly and arrogantly make wrong assumptions and equally wrong accusations based on those wrong assumptions.

eg 1. I didn't 'choose' Buenos Aires - I'm stuck here for reasons beyond my control, which although talked about elsewhere on this forum, are quite frankly none of your business.
eg 2. 13 of those 16 robberies happened outside of Buenos Aires, in Peurto Iguazu, population - about 50.000.
eg 3. I don't speak anything other than Castellano when I'm out and about in the city, I don't need to study a map on the sidewalk and the only place remotely touristic I've visited since I've been here is the zoo with my 2 year old son.

Now, be a good boy (from your posts it's obvious that you're no more than 14 or 15 years old - my turn to make a wild an unsupported assumption) and go find a forum for Argentinians that don't like BA and just like to whinge at people for the sake of it.

kevinM said:
how condescending! 99.9% of the crime committed in argentina is committed by argentines against argentines. Or you think people trying to grab your "expat treasures" on a subte somehow "counts more"?

you've been a victim of crime 16 times in a year. Whether you want to hear it or not, here is a little fact for you: you're certainly doing something wrong which you need to change. Or, yes, you'll continue to come back on this thread updating the 16 to a higher figure. Sixteen times in a year is ludicrous. The blame doesn't lie with the argentines (you know...the ones you are convinced are out to "get" rich white foreigners), it lies, at least in part, squarely with you.

First of all kevin, you need to look up 'condescending' in a dictionary - it doesn't mean what you think it means. What you just posted above could probably be used in a dictionary to define condescending!

Secondly, who do you think you are to accuse me of being at fault? Based on what evidence exactly? Because I've been robbed....it's my fault - that's your logic? And where have I said or suggested that my things "count more"? You couldn't be more insulting or condescending if you tried! I've not reported anything about Argentinians being robbed by Argentinians because I'm me and I can only tell about what happened to me.

Thirdly, why have you brought race into this anyhow? I've never mentioned race or nationality. The police in Iguazu were pretty sure that at least 2 of the burglaries were carried out by a known Paraguayan gang and I was mugged in the street twice by Brasilians. And I reckon the guy who tried to mug me today was almost certainly Peruvian. The only perpetrators of crimes against me which I can be sure were Argentinian were the police.

Maybe the reason I've been a victim so often is because I'm actually out and about, having a life - you should try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back