xxx....and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya got me Almasgestos. You're phat, Argentina is perfect and the rest of the world sucks, particularly the US. In fact, there is absolutely nothing good about the US and everything in Argentina is blissfull. You are absolutely right to come on to an expat website and defend indefensible positions and criticize foreigners who speak the truth about a country that you can't see.

Thanks to ignore :)

Liam3494 said:
And far from wanting to get into this debate, that last post from almagestos is exactly why ElQueso feels that BAExpats should do as it says in the title.

Wonder what The American Soldiers feel about their desire to be out of Afghanistan....

And Food is important, and should be enjoyed, not endured, or rushed, although I do agree with some sentiments about US fast food which is hardly what we try and compare with on this site when we talk food (And Pizza is not what I describe as a fast food).

And just for the record, I go with the flow here, accepting it for what it is, a great place to live, but different to Dublin, as it is from Nairobi or Mumbai, but the red tape in this country will never cease to amaze me.

And why there´s american soldierns in Afganistan? If they´re there is ´cause their presence is bringing benefits to their country... Did you hear about the word "oil"? I think those soldiers are happy there...

There's Oil in Afghanistan ???? Really - Missed that one.......

Anyway, this thread has been hijacked enough, back to living here.....

SaraSara said:
As an Argentine, I'll put in my two cents here.

El Queso, it is not that we don't care about our food - we do, and we think it is just great...! You should hear Argentines complain about food in the US, and even in France and Italy. Why, there's no dulce de leche there...! Not a decent bife de chorizo...!

Actually Sarah, I have learned to love a good bife de chorizo, or perhaps an ojo de bife, eaten with some good chimichurri and salsa criolla mixed together. Aside from the quality of beef that is often showing up nowadays, I have really come to appreciate that uniquely Argentine manner of eating beef to be very enjoyable. Morcilla - never in my life thought I'd like blood sausage, but I do. Also, matambrito de cerdo is one of my favorites of all time. When it's cooked just right that particular cut of pork can be like eating thick, grilled bacon, though not nearly as salty as what we find in the States.

I like some of the guisos I've eaten here, but I'm not wild about them - because they don't have much flavor to me. I didn't like beans as a kid, and my mother would fix them a lot - but at least they were spiced up. Jalapeños go really good :) But that's my Texas prejudice coming through.

But BA isn't big on properly-cooked vegetables. I think most of the Italian food is really sub-par. There is more variety available in the last couple of years, but still not very much.

I understand that it's an acquired taste/the way you're raised kind of thing. I'm not trying to insult anyone when I say that the food is bland and often not well prepared here - that's the way I see it, given where I came from. Most of the places I've visited in the world have food that I consider tasty. I'm not an "American food" kind of guy.

But as to the thread's topic - I have never had any crime problems, personally. However, everyone in my family here has been robbed one or more times, in a variety of ways. Two people I know assualted seriously.

But I have to admit - 16 is really something. I don't know anyone who has been hit so many times :eek:

ElQueso said:
Ya got me Almasgestos. You're phat, Argentina is perfect and the rest of the world sucks, particularly the US. In fact, there is absolutely nothing good about the US and everything in Argentina is blissfull. You are absolutely right to come on to an expat website and defend indefensible positions and criticize foreigners who speak the truth about a country that you can't see.

Thanks to ignore :)

Do you think the argentinians needs the opinion and critics of the foreigners about the problems of our own country? xD

Our problems are ours, not yours, so your opinion and critics are unecessary, by the way... are you doing something to change the problems you´re complaining about?

Let me guess... you don´t need to do something to change that problems ´cause you´re not argentinian... right? lol

Liam3494 said:
There's Oil in Afghanistan ???? Really - Missed that one.......

Anyway, this thread has been hijacked enough, back to living here.....

Lol... why do you think all the "evil terrorists and enemies" of USA are situated in territories rich in oil?...

Pure casuality?

Nahh!! haha...

almagestos said:
And why there´s american soldierns in Afganistan? If they´re there is ´cause their presence is bringing benefits to their country... Did you hear about the word "oil"? I think those soldiers are happy there...

Please, almagestos...! That's embarrassing.

The only oil in Afghanistan is in the carters of all those trucks paid for by American taxpayers, moving stuff across the country and transporting "happy soldiers" that have been blown-up by land mines.

War can be SUCH fun...!

almagestos said:
You said that the crime rife in Argentina... I told you that you´re wrong talking in that way, the crime rife in Buenos Aires (one of the hugest cities in the world - 14.000.000 inhabitants) and I´m pretty sure the crime rife in all the huge cities of the world...
And what's your point? I live in Buenos Aires, so I'm talking about Buenos Aires. If I lived in New York I'd talk about New York.

almagestos said:
Argentina is a very peaceful country... the only place with that kind of problems is Buenos Aires...
And the 13 times I was robbed in Iguazu don't count then?

almagestos said:
And about the pizza of New York, Rome, Paris, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Katmandú, Atlantis and the Andromeda galaxy... whooooo cares? Is food after all and it will be excrement sooner or later, no matter if you eat pizza in the best restaurant of Paris, or in a poor house of Villa 31, you will pass a loaf in the same way... xD

So there´s more interesting things to talk about...

Además eso de que vas a respetar mi opinión sobre las pizzas si al menos comí pizza en no se cuantos países del mundo me sonó a refregada en la cara de que vos conocés muchos lugares y tal vez yo por ser argentino no...
I'm not the slightest bit interested in talking about pizza - I don't even eat it any more! YOU brought up pizza. And I mentioned other cities because the quality of anything is a relative measure - other people said that Buenos Aires pizza is rubbish compared to other places in the world and they have that opinion based on having tasted pizza in the other places. All I did was ask you if you also had experience of pizza in other places - if not, you have no right to an opinion on the relative quality of Buenos Aires pizza. I don't expect you to understand this because it's based on simple logic - something which you demonstrably lack.

almagestos said:
Bueno, así como alardéas por internet seguramente también te gusta mostrar tu hermoso reloj y celular a los pobretones que viajan en los subte no? tal vez por eso te robaron....
Now you're completely ignoring the facts and being deliberately inflammatory - a pretty poor imitation of an internet troll. FAIL.

Almagestos......I,m English,proud and have lived here in BA for almost SIX years.If I want to call the food bland,I will,If I want to knock your country I will,you or anyone else won,t stop me.If you don,t like what you read,BUTT OUT...

Going back to the thread, I know only a couple of people who have been robbed more than twice. Alzinho is well on his way to setting a record worth of the Guinness Book.

My spare tire was stolen twice - does that count? Both times from the car parked in front of my home, with the "Security" guard half a block away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back