xxx....and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al, sorry to hear about this latest mugging. You were telling me about the others and I was astounded. Sorry it has happened again. Ironically, we were also talking about how convenient it is to have phone service in the Subte. Convenient for us and convenient for the muggers I suppose.

Thanks for sharing. It's educational; for me at least.

Hit 'em straight and long on Friday.

-- Mark

wow can't believe what i'm reading!! alzinho 17 times? esllou has become a paranoid recluse and has published a list of " REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT LIVE IN BA. and the rest of you seem to just take it in stride. unbelievable. i live in asia and periodically monitor this forum for a laugh and to see how good i've got it. and this forum never disappoints in that regard. i especially enjoy the "forumwide treasure hunts" for items i take for granted here in buddha land. all this to learn the tango and complain about the terrible pizza made a served by descendants of italians. by the way. how's the coin situation? suerte! (ps let the sarcastic defending retorts begin-that's the real fun here!!!)

well, tbf, my list was actually a "List of things you can do that can allow you to continue living in BA" and "bricking yourself up in your apartment" was certainly not one of them. I've then watched, mouth agape, as this thread has added ten pages of random politicising, whinging, trolling and egg throwing. I have a lot of sympathy for Al who started it. I'd love to know what he thinks. :)

oh, and it seems at least half the posts in this thread are by those who don't even live here, so feel free to carry on that fine tradition.

bapak sounds like a worthy addition to this forum, which seems to attract more than its fair share of crackpots.:)

SaraSara said:
bapak sounds like a worthy addition to this forum, which seems to attract more than its fair share of crackpots.:)

...................:D

SaraSara said:

HEY, I resemble that remark!:D

esllou said:
well, tbf, my list was actually a "List of things you can do that can allow you to continue living in BA" and "bricking yourself up in your apartment" was certainly not one of them. I've then watched, mouth agape, as this thread has added ten pages of random politicising, whinging, trolling and egg throwing. I have a lot of sympathy for Al who started it. I'd love to know what he thinks. :)

The only issue I had with your list really esllou, was the use of the word 'never', which did kind of imply that you were advocating "bricking yourself up in your apartment" (not literally obviously, but you know what I mean!). You're absolutely right of course that there's a need for caution, especially if you're obviously a foreigner, but to say that you should never talk to anyone on the street seems a bit extreme, and that's no way to live your life - down that route lies madness.

esllou said:
oh, and it seems at least half the posts in this thread are by those who don't even live here, so feel free to carry on that fine tradition.

Although opinions of outsiders are always welcome, it's the judgemental and accusative nonsense, usually with no basis in fact, that's not welcome.

Alzinho said:
The only issue I had with your list really esllou, was the use of the word 'never', which did kind of imply that you were advocating "bricking yourself up in your apartment" (not literally obviously, but you know what I mean!). You're absolutely right of course that there's a need for caution, especially if you're obviously a foreigner, but to say that you should never talk to anyone on the street seems a bit extreme, and that's no way to live your life - down that route lies madness.

Although opinions of outsiders are always welcome, it's the judgemental and accusative nonsense, usually with no basis in fact, that's not welcome.

well I did acknowledge at the time that my "don't speak to strangers in the street" rule was going to ruffle a few feathers. :D

Put it this way, I'm not from here so I can't give anyone directions - I barely know where I'm going myself! I don't smoke so don't have a light or cigs to give to anyone.

I've been stopped by some very "dodgy" characters in my time here and the way I look at it is I'd rather lightly offend a couple of cigarette or change seekers than relive the experience of the guy who got violently robbed in recoleta a few months back. Anyone remember that thread? That started with him being stopped by a couple of guys looking for a smoke I seem to recall.

it's all about playing the percentages and I've lived in enough crime-ridden cities to have learnt that.

SaraSara said:

I have never used the Ignore feature on a forum before, but it's really becoming quite liberating. In the past two days I've placed three people on ignore, including this latest crackpot.

I am living for 5 years here in Buenos Aires and never had any problem in bus, subte or anywhere in any neighborhood. And I will use my smart phone as well at home as outside. I guess that there are some places like Constitucion or Boca where you should not go into at night like "I am a Gringo I want to be robbed".

But otherwise I will see that the different life here right now in fact of the high inflation over the last 2 years. In my first 3 years I have seen in total only 2 poor people living on the street without nothing (not a joke - real experiance). Now I can see like one or a group of them on each corner.

I don't speak only of best neighborhoods like Palermo or Recoleta. I am living in Almagro. I reflect my experiance through the whole city not only some rich neighborhoods where the problem is much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back