Yay - After 10 Years We're Planning On Leaving Argentina

You are just an evil capitalist trying to exploit Argentina. Good thing the glorious government thwarted your plans. Even better that you are leaving. Another foreign leech that our popular regime was able to defeat.

Very true! The popular regime has triumphed again. My poor kids, they'll be exposed to low levels of insecurity in Australia and I'll have to deal with horrible inflation levels (1.5%)... Imagine the grief i'm going to face in Australia buying electronic circuits from China and not facing with huge customs fees and corruption... just terrible :) I think the populist movement over here should teach Australian society a thing or two about endemic corruption, transparency and equality.

It seems you've reached a considered decision, and it seems a good one to me. Family and child security is certainly something that can't be ignored by anyone these days. I celebrated my 10th anniversary here last week and sure have seen a lot of changes. But iny case as a retired "global orphan" with no family left anywhere, my wonderful Argentine spouse and her big loving family seal the deal about staying for me. I can't imagine any reason I would ever feel seriously like leaving, at least not now. My view about returning to NYC, i.e. Manhattan, and trying to live on my present retirement income and being 72 is actually a bit scary. New Yawkers are usually pretty good on the street with older people, but not always, and I'm not sure I could re-enter the urban scene.

Cheers to you in your move, and additionally you need to remember that it's cold in August!

Peter in San Isidro

Good question and yes, there are 3 things - corruption, insecurity and financial controls.

I tried to import some electronic circuit boards I manufactured in china (USD $30) but they were held up by red tape and corruption. In the end I abandoned the goods and had a new batch sent to Australia where I collected them last trip. It was pure extortion... To release these goods I was told to use a despachante de adana ($350) plus pay storage fees ($150). In addition, a bribe was hinted to fast track the release. I told them to stick it and the circuits boards, useless to anybody else, will end up being disposed of by customs or returned to the manufacturer in China (I doubt it). In decided at that point that Argentinians deserve the Argentina they have :). I don't want my children to be raised in a culture where corruption, from the top down, is a national vocation.

I have another story about security and financial controls that tipped the scales so if you're interested, I'll tell the story.

Brazilian economist: "My fear is not that Brazil will turn into Greece, but that it will turn into a huge Argentina instead"

"My nightmare scenario is not Greece. My nightmare scenario is that we will spiral into a dysfunctional political dynamic, and become a huge Argentina. Argentina is arguably the most dramatic case of decadence of a country that has not been through a war since the Industrial Revolution."

Surely, this doesn't have anything to do with the rivalry between Brazil and Argentina does it?

hes right, Brazil just can not compare to Argentina.

You're right, there is no comparison. Brazil left Argentina behind a while ago.

EDIT: Here's a little anecdote for comparison. When I came down in June, everyone I know, plus people I barely know, asked me to bring things from the US: clothes, electronics, even dollars. I asked a Brazilian friend if he needed anything since I am going to Brazil on this trip and he said .... no, nothing. why do you ask?

Surely, this doesn't have anything to do with the rivalry between Brazil and Argentina does it?

Perhaps. But the fear of an "Argentinization" is very palpable. It has become a rally cry, where people point to Argentina and say "we are next" or "that is what awaits us".
This economist was not talking to an Argentina audience. It was a long debate what the economical and political outlook of the country are, and he brought up Argentina to emphasize how bleak things look. Because that is the overall perception that Brazilians have of Argentina: It is Venezuela "light", and the writing is on the wall that we are next.

Back