You Know You're In Argentina When.....

When sitting behind a school bus at the light and some kid inside throws his lunch bag of trash out the window.

Totally the parents fault.

33. When u put it under the mattress rather than dealing with banks.
34. When I don't know if it is true or not: that u have 2 justify to AFIP any withdrawal of large sums from your own account.
35. When the bank gives $5 for your dollar, while any hustler on the street gives u $10.
36. When it is illegal 2 exchange dollars, but gazillions of arboletos r in your face at Florida & Lavalle.
37. When bank objects 2 bringing in dollars to spend here. In 2007 finally I found one bank willing 2 open me accts as a tourist (one in peso, other in dollar). The rep was eager & offered something like 21% interest for 1 year plazo fijo. I rushed my Toronto bank to wire the branch. The money arrived in few days but went 2 another person in foreign accts. It took me almost a month 2 know that. Finally when I reached her she was so upset and demanded to return everything back to Toronto. I felt so bad for the guy (If she were his boss, she might have caused him trouble). 6 years later I know she done me a great favor.
38. When 21% interest here is less than 1% in Toronto (peso is eroding at a greater rate).

P.S. This thread should NOT be about what u don't like. Needless 2 say expats r here by choice. It is so obvious if u uproot yourself from home.

BAExpats forum is REAL experiences, not an abstract view like what u read in a 1000 page Lonely Planet. I think it is valuable.

When the same people who were maniacally pushing and shoving each other at the gate to be the first one on the plane (and push and shove to be the first ones off, the first ones at immigrations, the first ones at the baggage carousel) suddenly become the most gracious and helpful people you've ever met when they see you're travelling alone with a baby, oh a baby, oh es un santo, te ayuda, toma este, pasa adelante, necessitas algo, tenes prioridad etc.... (Just got home from horrific trip vancouver -- LAX -- panama -- buenos aires.)

Back