You Went Where??? A Survey Of The Least Visited Places.

isle of Jura . George Orwell wrote 1984 here.

500 people inhabit the island along with 5,000 sheep and an indeterminate number of red deer.

It also has a nice wee whisky distillery

I've been here too. Are you sure there's even 500 people on it? :lol:

Syria is an amazing country and the people are welcoming, should the situation ever improve I'd highly recommend, I did a 3mos trip through Turkey, Syria, Jordan, and the Sinai (I'd already done Luxor/Cairo etc on a previous trip). Syria is great. We went to Krak de Chevaliers, a crusader castle meant to house 2,000 and were the only ones there. Palmyra (which may be partly destroyed now) was spectacularly preserved, more interesting to me than Petra. On that trip I also visited three places that all claimed to be the birthplace of Abraham! I also spent 2 weeks in a Bedouin tent north of Dahab and a couple hours hike up the coast from the blue hole, it was fantastic, though this was all in May-Aug 2001 so may well have been completely overrun by Italians by now (then they would come in big tourist groups and true women were in bikini tops and short shorts no matter how traditionally Muslim the area they were visiting was).

We were there right before September 11th, and Al-Assad was still new in office and the Syrians had a lot of hope, though you could tell they were also wary to say anything but good things about him. But the people we met were so welcoming, it was a fantastic experience I will never forget and it pains me to think that so much of what we saw is probably gone (especially Aleppo and Homs)

least visited...well I've been to /lived in some micro towns that I loved mostly in northern Canada: Red Lake, ON, Sioux Lookout, ON , Squamish, BC , Churchill, MB . Besides that, on a much warmer note, Samana peninsula in Dominican Republic ROCKS, and of course there's my first home in Romania Parangu Mare.

Would love to spend the rest of my days in San Blas, Panama though. A pace that close to zero , a seafood / fruit only diet suits me just fine.

my philosphy in travel is
if i have the time,
if i have the money,
and the country is not in civil strife or if i feel it could be soon,
I GO!
I did that on my last west african trip just beofre the ebola breakout but right when al qaeda hit mali and i had to flee to save my life to burkina faso where i later caught malaria!
that's also why i went a few times to cuba before the american invasion as well as my annual trips to iran!

Katmi National Park in Alaska was my most remote destination....also a small Bedouin camp south of Tunis....that trip (when i was 21) is what hooked me on travel ...

Most remote for me are the Tobago Cays and Bequia in the Grenadines where I caught Chikungunya before it was cool.

Punta Arenas Pto Natales too I guess.
great thread btw, Esteban do you have a blog or written a book? It's amazing the many places you've been too.

Back