You Went Where??? A Survey Of The Least Visited Places.

Been to: Libya before the fall of Gaddafi, Myanmar
Want to: Iran, N Korea, Mali, Syria & Iraq (some day), Aremenia

Nancy and I, many years ago (1970's), lived in Ghana and traveled all around West Africa. We still want to go to East and South Africa someday maybe. Went from Ghana to Amsterdam, bought a VW (hippy) bus and drove to Nepal through West and Eastern Europe, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. Been to a bunch of other places since then but that was a trip! You should see the pictures.

T/

Washington is a great city, with spectacular parks and perhaps the world's best museums (that's arguable, but it's certainly in the conversation). Philadelphia is OK, but the accent is as bad as the Bronx.

The altitude at Mammoth is far lower than in much of the Argentine Andes. Easter Island's fairly expensive to get to, but not that expensive once you get there - even backpackers do well.

Punta Arenas still has great historic architecture, but it's fallen far behind Natales in terms of contemporary architecture, accommodations, gastronomy, and even museums - the conversion of the old frigorífico at nearby Bories into a hotel/museum is fantastic. That's not even to mention access to Torres del Paine and other outdoor attractions, some of them just minutes away from Natales.

Washington is a shithole, Philadelphia was nice enough though.

"strange / less traveled places":

Mammoth Mountains, USA. Nice wee place but i got lots of nose bleeds due to the altitude.
Easter Island, Chile. Expensive but well worth the visit.
Punta Arenas, Chile. Much nicer than Puerto Natales but further away from the walking etc.

I prefer to avoid the sun though as my pale Scottish skin isn't too keen on it.

I had a very active bolg several years ago but it took so much time , I had to give it up.
A book on my wildest experiences is hopefully not far off! Thanks for asking!

Gozo, the small island south of Malta.
Pagan, in Burma.
the mountains of Sumatra, the land of the Minangkabu, the matriarchal tribal society of houses with roofs like water buffalo horns.

Been to:

Mexico - Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez

Easter Island.. 3 days in 2008....awesome!!

All of Chile from Coquimbo, through Santiago de Chile down through Pucon, Villarica, Temuco Valdivia, Osorna and Puerto Montt..

Argentina: Mendoza, San Luis, San Juan, Catamarca, San Miguel de Tucuman <--( where I met my wife ) Salta, La Rioja, Cordoba, Santa Fe ( capital, not Rosario ) Entre Rios, Corrientes, Chaco, Missiones,
Buenos Aires Province - Mar del Plata, Villa Geselle, Nicochea, Miramar, Tandil, Chascomus, Balcarce, Coronel Pringles, Benito Juarez, Buenos Aires of course

Uruguay - Colonia de Sacramento, Frey Bentos, Paysandu, Salto, Montivideo.

Brazil - Uruguayana

• All countries on the Americas mainland, except Uruguay and Paraguay.
  • Climbed high mountains in Pakistan, Nepal, Tibet, Irian Jaya/(West)Papua, Antarctica, Tanzania, Uganda, Alaska, Russia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Peru, Mexico, Chile & Argentina.
  • Visited Kenya, Morocco, Tunesia, Zanzibar, Oman, UAE, India and some more.
  • Furthest North: 70 degrees North: Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, furthest South: 79 degrees South, Mount Vinson, Antarctica.

Missing a large part of Africa and Eastern Asia. Japan is #1 on countries to hopefully visit.

Returning from the Falklands to UK, in 1987, we spent a week on Ascension Island as guest of the commanding officer at USAF Wideawake (named for the wideawake terns that nest there). At night we went out to spot green turtles arriving to nest on the beach; in the daytime we went hiking on Green Mountain and explored ruins such as the water catchment the turtle ponds built by the Royal Marines when Ascension was Napoleon's transfer point to Saint Helena. Ascension is a desert island at sea level, but lush on the summit.

One regret I have was passing up the opportunity to go to South Georgia with the Royal Navy supply ship from the Falklands. It seemed expensive at the time, but in retrospect it was cheap. The problem was that they wouldn't guarantee they'd put you ashore - it depended on weather conditions. Also, my wife is prone to seasickness and worried about doing 800 miles of open ocean in the South Atlantic.

Hmm, not sure about strangest, it's pretty objective, but I've been to 25 countries now, and the interesting things I've seen are:

PRC: When I went to the Great Wall of China, I went to the section mainly visited by Chinese tourists, and in doing so I had my
picture taken by dozens of people, people staring, pointing, etc. It was very surreal, like being famous I suppose, except I'm
just a big white guy with a foot on most Westerners and a little more on the average Chinese man or woman.

ROK: I stayed at a hostel in Itaewon. This is one the most interesting neighborhoods I've been to ever. Within 50 yards of me
there were: Thai Ladyboys (what they called themselves) overing "full releases messages", women taking their children home
in full length burkas, a gay bath house, two guys making out behind a Turkish man selling doner, hoards of drunk westerners,
3 US Soldiers at the police station, and stores selling Haj tickets and West African cell phone plans.

Next year I'll be going to the UAE, Oman and Indonesian Islands of Java, Bali, Lombok and Komodo. I'd say Lombok, Komodo,
and Oman don't get many visitors.

Some places I wanted to go, but are too late/pretty much there: Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sonoran Desert, portions of Egypt/Libya/Algeria.

Back