5 Most Common Excuses Argentines Like To Use

:) Great topic, and as an Argie myself that lives abroad for more than ten year, I guess I may be able to clarify the reason behind. The real reason behind the excuses it simple, they just forgot about it. We Argentines don't plan anything further than two weeks. Why? I don't know, and I found very estrange actually having an invitation for sth that is happening in 5 weeks. I thought.. I have no idea what I'll be doing by that time, why on earth are they planning something that far away?
Well the truth is does make sense to plan, however, when dealing w/ us in Arg, you will need to remind / confirm sth is happening within two weeks. Yep, unfair, but true.

"Sorry, me mata la paja". That is my #1 one.

(except for work and for events i am ALREADY supposed to be at, of course!)

Yeah, but at least responding with the "paja" excuse is actually honest :)

I loved the one about the rain most of all. My girls (up to and including my wife) simply won't go out when it's raining. It has to be something pretty important to get them out in wet weather. Forget the umbrella idea - I suspect it has to do with wet shoes and legs (I just wear an older pair of shoes, and jeans dry fast - thank god I'm not a woman! :D ).

I give them a hard time about it all the time.

My wife has a friend whose "pressure" always gets "low" and has canceled on her so many times with that excuse that she doesn't invite her out any more.

I am exactly the opposite, lol. The only time I will refuse to go out when it rains is if I have JUST had my hair done with a treatment that requires to keep it dry. But I only do those once every 6 months or so, so not often enough.

And forget umbrellas, they are a hassle to carry around! However, I do like going out for a walk when it is storming and come home soaking wet to curl up in a towel and drink something hot. :3 So of course, going out when it is raining is not really a disadvantage in my eyes.

It may have to do with the side effects of rain. You will go around walking and suddenly find you can't get across the street because the area got flooded. Or you end up stepping on a loose tile (of which, let's be honest, there is plenty) and get all the muddy/dirty crap from it all over you and people with you.

There are also a lot of people who just plain don't like it for reasons foreign to me, but hey, more quiet walks in the rain to the likes of us, right?

i love walking in the rain. Its so romantic.

I am shocked people are so afraid of rain here.
try not to walk under any balcony in the rain. Sky might be falling on you, and the craps. :)

Back