8.3 Earthquake in Chile - Felt Here

mikew

Registered
Anybody else's apartment shake like hell a few minutes ago? I'm in Retiro and it scared the hell out of me.

Floods, then earthquakes...

I'm in the States and I didn't feel it here. But you felt it in RETIRO?!?!?

How old is your building? How tall is your building? What floor are you on?

mikew said:
Anybody else's apartment shake like hell a few minutes ago? I'm in Retiro and it scared the hell out of me.

Are you serious? I'm in Belgrano and slept like a baby..

It was also felt in Bariloche, but I didn't wake.

Jez,

Can you update on the situation there in Bariloche? I have a brother- and sister-in-law there and we can't get through on phones. The news here in NYC is very Tsunami related so we can't get much of a sense of the extent of the damage area. Thank you.

Napoleon - I'm on the 13th floor of an older apartment building. I was in bed playing video games, and all of a sudden, I'm feeling the bed moving. Originally, I think I'm motion sick from the game (it happens to me, but rarely), but I pause it and realize that, no, it's definitely not me. We feel the apartment shake, lightly, but definitely shake, for the next 5 minutes or so. Woke up my wife's parents the floor above us, too.

Achaval, no damage in Bariloche. Don't worry.

Some years ago there was an earthquake in the Andes and some people living on tall buildings reported the lights and other hanging objects started to move. And that earthquake was not as strong as the one yesterday.

Achaval said:
Jez,

Can you update on the situation there in Bariloche? I have a brother- and sister-in-law there and we can't get through on phones. The news here in NYC is very Tsunami related so we can't get much of a sense of the extent of the damage area. Thank you.

don't worry, no damage here. My girlfriends mum was without electricity for a while and her friend was out in the street till 5 in the morning encase of another tremor but here in Bariloche the electricity will go out if there is too much rain/wind or snow!

131 foot tidal wave hits Chilean islands. This is not a good year for disaster management groups.

Back