A question about citizenship, please

Saninmdz

Registered
Hello everybody here,

I have a question that needs to be clarified, please, and thanks widely in advance.
I am married to an Argentine woman and we are now living in Argentina (Mendoza) for two months. My wife went today to the Federal Court to ask about citizenship procedure (so that I apply in few coming months) and one employee working there told her that I need at least two years of residence. She tried to explain him the fact that to be married to an Argentine citizen gives me right to apply with no need of waiting the period of two years. The employee didnt care about this information and confirmed to her that two years is a must before any application. This makes me confused. Do I really have to wait the two years as he said? I mean, what are the options available for me now?
By the way, I already have my Argentinean ID (permanent residence).

Once again, thanks a lot for your help

Hello everybody here,

I have a question that needs to be clarified, please, and thanks widely in advance.
I am married to an Argentine woman and we are now living in Argentina (Mendoza) for two months. My wife went today to the Federal Court to ask about citizenship procedure (so that I apply in few coming months) and one employee working there told her that I need at least two years of residence. She tried to explain him the fact that to be married to an Argentine citizen gives me right to apply with no need of waiting the period of two years. The employee didnt care about this information and confirmed to her that two years is a must before any application. This makes me confused. Do I really have to wait the two years as he said? I mean, what are the options available for me now?
By the way, I already have my Argentinean ID (permanent residence).

Once again, thanks a lot for your help

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/obtener-la-ciudadania-argentina

Nikad, thanks for the link, as far as I undertstood, to be married to an Argentine makes you exempt from waiting the two years. It literally states:
(Tener 2 años de residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país, certificada por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones excepto si contrajo matrimonio con un ciudadano argentino nativo y/o tiene un hijo nativo). So, why did that employee deny it?

Nikad, thanks for the link, as far as I undertstood, to be married to an Argentine makes you exempt from waiting the two years. It literally states:
(Tener 2 años de residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país, certificada por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones excepto si contrajo matrimonio con un ciudadano argentino nativo y/o tiene un hijo nativo). So, why did that employee deny it?
They sometimes make mistakes, go and talk to a different person and see how it goes.

You are absolutely correct, the 2 year rule doe snot apply in your case. The same happened to me in CABA. I also went to ask and inform myself. The secretary who received me basically barked me out of the office when I tried to get a clarification.

I consulted a lawyer (he posts here on the forum) and he advised me not to go back and ask for any clarification but rather to assure that I have all the documents ready (translated and apostilled correctly) and go back and simply present the documents. I did exactly that. Unfortunately the same female employee was there, started barking at me, but for some reason another employee called me over and took my documents and reviewed them. Since everything was in order, I was given a number (this number will accompany you through the process) and was told to take my documents to a judge to whom I was assigned (you actually see the secretary). You do that right away. The secretary will then inform you how to proceed further. I also consulted a couple of other people who have done this before, and the process is long and bureaucratic. One of them did it by himself and it took him about 2.5 years to get his citizenship certificate. Another one is in the process, doing it all by herself. And the third one got tired with the waiting, hired a lawyer (so that on her behalf someone can push the papers to the front of the line so to speak) and had it done in about 9 months.

Please keep us posted of how it goes for you. You are perhaps the most recent case and your experience will serve others.

Idois, I really appreciate your reply! Thank you :)
The thing is that I am now worried that if I go back with my wife, we may meet again the same person and then he intentionally tries to do everything to refrain the process and make problems to us. He was rude with my wife the first time she went (yesterday) and as soon as she told him I am here for two months, he interrupted her saying that (two years is a must) and didn't even let her explain to him the idea.
I would be very thankful if some other helpful people here (beside you) provide me with the advises how to deal with this obstacle. And would it be a good idea to hire a lawyer in order to push my case ahead and how much could that cost?

Definitely! I highly recomend. His name on the forum is Bajo cero. Contact him via PM. he is the No 1 citizenship lawyer in the country.

In case automatic fill in doesn't provide it when you search for Dr. Christain Rubuiar (to send a PM), his username is Bajo_cero2.

PS: Hopefully, after reading your first post, he will leave a public reply so others can learn if the requirements for citizenship which are detailed on the website of Argentine migraciones are recognized as law by the federal courts.

Last edited:
One of them did it by himself and it took him about 2.5 years to get his citizenship certificate. Another one is in the process, doing it all by herself. And the third one got tired with the waiting, hired a lawyer (so that on her behalf someone can push the papers to the front of the line so to speak) and had it done in about 9 months.

When you talk about how long it took these folks, were they all spouses of Argentines, or just foreigners in general?

Back