Amazing how expensive BsArs is

can anybody explain me why is coffee (horrible taste by the way) so bloody expensive in BsARs? The same for bread, milk, tomatoes, yoghurt?

mariano-BCN;161881]
Nonsense, this may be the rent for a expat in the centre of Amsterdam but even in Amsterdam are the normal rents much lower. I pay 366 for a two rooms apartment and the most are between 350 and 800 euros.

Bullshit, free market appartments are between 1200 and 2000 euro in good areas.

Social housing is not available for anybody and it takes 6 to 10 years to even get a shot at renting something. Chances are it will be a lot more exensive as well

Train trip 100 km return ticket = 40 euro's
Then again: if you have a discount card it's half price.

40% and non-peak hours, again your talking B.S. Card is not free and for most non-regular users it's to expensive

Movies, coke, popcorn = 11 euro's
again: it depends. I go to a cinema and don't spend more than 6 euros.
etc etc

Ticket, coke, popcorn for 6 euro's. Keep dreaming

It depends absolutely if you're a established habitant or an expat living for a few months, then you pay the prices you're talking about.
And for sure: Argentina is disgusting expensive.

So now your comparing a local/native/resident of Amersterdam to an expat in BA, you must see yourself how stupid that is

mariano-BCN said:
can anybody explain me why is coffee (horrible taste by the way) so bloody expensive in BsARs? The same for bread, milk, tomatoes, yoghurt?

coffee, it is imported from Brazil and the horrible taste is because it is prepared accordingly to Argentine taste (around 90% of the coffee consumers in the country) that is different from say American (dirty water for me) or Italian (my favorite)

bread, milk, tomatoes, yoghurt... here they come without the subsidies paid to farmers in the State (around $20 billion per year paid to the farmers as "farm income stabilization") or Europe (around $80 billion per year paid to the farmers thanks to the "Common Agricultural Policy). And any case, compared to Paris (where I live half of the time), all those products (except for yoghurt) are cheaper in Argentina.

Here you go... a quick answer (could elaborate more on the coffee value chain) to your pressing questions.

mariano-BCN said:

Seems like a good reason to live in a place where those things are cheaps

Have eggs recently shot up?

I was buying 30 eggs for AR$16.50 pesos (maybe then AR$17) before I went back to the States in mid-March and I just bought them today and they were AR$25.

Then again, it was the lady at the verdularia who I don't trust, so maybe she changed the price because she thought I would pay it. I actually bought 30 eggs about 7 to 10 days ago, but I'm not sure where (meaning which verduleria).

Let me know if those have recently shot up.

PS- My life in the States on vacation is vastly different as well. I'm not a bit of a tit like rrptownley, but I rented a car and drove 330 kms just for a rehearsal dinner & wedding and then zipped back. I bounced up to NYC and went to nice house parties, nice restaurants, amazing cheese shops, & worked out (for free on a guest/recruitment pass) at a gym so nice that it's probably only matched by the Hilton Hotel fitness center... but bigger.

A friend loans me his 5-series BMW so that I can run errands and neither of us thinks twice about it. Tagging along with the reunion class the year above me, after dinner I was the designated driver as we went to the Ritz-Carlton for drinks (where some of the people were staying). I'm still broke there, but my friends have a lot more money, so for a week or two, everyone buys my everything. And the produce... and the various types of beer... well, let's just say things look, smell, and taste different than they do at the supermarkets here.

But the EGGS?... what about the EGGS?

Napoleon said:
Have eggs recently shot up?

I was buying 30 eggs for AR$16.50 pesos (maybe then AR$17) before I went back to the States in mid-March and I just bought them today and they were AR$25.

But the EGGS?... what about the EGGS?

Eggs have increased in price, but I get the cardboard tray of 30 Eggs for about $18 pesos.

Not to bash anybody, however most expats live in high rent districts, where businesses pay very high rents for their stores as well they know (or think) people have lots of disposable income. I live in Congreso and when I compare the prices to where I work in Palermo it's astounding. Here are some examples: Facturas: Congreso $1,50 each - Palermo $2,50 each. Empanadas: Congreso $4,00 each - Palermo $6,00 each. Sliced cheese: Congreso $4,00 per 100grams - Palermo $7,50 per 100grams. Whole pizza: Congreso $28,00 - Palermo $45,00, and so on and so on. If you do a lot of shopping it's worth it for you to shop in another neighborhood if you live in Recoleta or Palermo. Try going to Congreso, Balvanera, Chacarita, and you will be pleasantly surprised. Same stuff, as much as 50% less in price. Have fun.

fifs2 said:
Oh do you mean wheaten bread? Just back from Ireland and had it for breakfast this morning...yum!

Nope, spelt is a completely different grain... it's the low-gluten cousin of wheat. It's my favorite; I highly recommend it if you can find it!!!

Poduce better in NYC? You're not shopping at the right places. In season poduce here is fantastic if you shop at Quinta Fresca or one of the good markets like Caballito, San Telmo or Belgrano. As good as in California, which is saying a lot. And much cheaper.

Zissou said:
And even then - bag of green grapes at Disco for 11 pesos? In Canada, that could very easily be $9-11. .

are you talking per kilo Zissou?

starlucia said:
Nope, spelt is a completely different grain... it's the low-gluten cousin of wheat. It's my favorite; I highly recommend it if you can find it!!!

And do they sell it in Ireland (my home country) as spelt? I'm never too old to learn ...I had 3 days and no rain...hope your Irish weather was equally untypical...

Back