American Food

ssr said:
Wait, overcooked beef in the US? Eh?

Yeah why not.

That just makes argentine style beef pretty much equivalent to charcoal briquettes.

Best beef in the world, but only if not cooked by an argentine.

I like medium rare and when I ask, it's always cooked that way.

Really,

I like rare/mediium rare and when i ask for anything I always get the same shit. Which is medium welll

The first time I got real non overcooked meat at a restaurant here was when I asked for ¨Crudo¨"and then set it back because it came out medium. On the second try it still wasnt anywhere close to crudo but it was at the very least a nice rare to mediumrare

And that was a nicer restaurant, normal parillas no f-n way.

Edit: really medium rare?

Like this: http://www.bunrab.com/dailyfeed/dailyfeed_images_08-02Feb/df08_02_06_steak.jpg ?

I would faint in surprise if I got that here after asking for med/rare. I might faint in suprise if I got that asking for my normal order which is ¨muy muy muy jugoso¨

PhilipDT said:
Really,

I like rare/mediium rare and when i ask for anything I always get the same shit. Which is medium welll

The first time I got real non overcooked meat at a restaurant here was when I asked for ¨Crudo¨"and then set it back because it came out medium. On the second try it still wasnt anywhere close to crudo but it was at the very least a nice rare to mediumrare

And that was a nicer restaurant, normal parillas no f-n way.

Edit: really medium rare?

Like this: http://www.bunrab.com/dailyfeed/dailyfeed_images_08-02Feb/df08_02_06_steak.jpg ?

I would faint in surprise if I got that here after asking for med/rare. I might faint in suprise if I got that asking for my normal order which is ¨muy muy muy jugoso¨

I think the problem is that the parrilla is just too hot. Try asking for "vuelta y vuelta" and see if that works.

razal said:
Gringa is on the corner of Dorrego y Costa Rica in Palermo Hollywood - you can check out my write up about it if you like: http://pickupthefork.com/2010/10/06/brunch-with-the-gringa/

Other good American style restaurants - Kansas, Trixie and Sugar. AND then of course US chains like Hard Rock Cafe, Hooters and TGI Fridays.

TGI Fridays just SUCKS!! drinks are weak and food has no taste at all!!
It is a waste of time and money at one place

The best burger I've tried recently is at Tucson. Forget the kosher branch on Salguero where everything is terrible. Go to the new outlet in the far end of the Hipódromo or the one on the ground floor of DOT. Mind you it's not up to what you expect from your favorite bar in New York, but it would be recognized as a hamburger in North America.
Warning - per some ancient law, no alcohol is served during sporting events, including horse races. So if you want a martini or even a beer with your burger, do not go when there's a race on. But the bar opens as soon as the last horse leaves the track.
A burger that wouldn't be recognized as such in the US, and that I like anyway, is at Gardiner on the Costanera. It's definitely an Argentine re-interpretation, and the waiters tend to advise against ordering it, but it's actually quite good.

It would be great if the restaurant reviews here came with a "what to order and what to avoid at all costs" section because I find that quality of dishes varies massively at most places. For example, I went to Sugar for breakfast a few weeks ago. I ordered the waffles with maple syrup and when they arrived (a decade later), I was told that there was no maple syrup and was offered honey! The waffles were also made with something that tasted like sponge cake mix and not waffle mix and came with a massive side of over-sweet cream. My husbands bacon and eggs was just as pitiful. Just as we left, however, we saw the table next to us receive a massive plate of delicious looking wings and fries.
I find Le Ble's brunch to be good but it does not outweigh the horrendous service. Plus, they've started skimping on the amount of coffee you get (cups are generally 2/3 filled). Theres a colombian cafe that opened recently on Jorge Newberry and while the coffee is delicious, the breakfasts are pretty lame.
It would be great to find a good all-rounder. I've heard home hotel brunch is good but have had so many bad experiences, I'm reluctant to brunch out anymore!

Rickjoe said:
TGI Fridays just SUCKS!! drinks are weak and food has no taste at all!!
It is a waste of time and money at one place

I couldn't agree more. The service at TGIF here is horrendous and the food is terrible. I will not ever go back there again.

Can someone explain why it's so hard to find a good burger in this town? It's not rocket science.

That's a good question. I guess the first problem is that people here like to put eggs and ham and such on them! :)

I made some nice, (not too) thick burgers last night for my sister-in-law and a friend of hers. Butter-toasted buns, cheddar cheese, the whole nine yards. Her friend stayed the night and this morning I fixed french toast with chorizos (cut in half and fried) for their before school meal. My sister-in-law's friend was just beside herself with pleasure as she scarfed the meals down.

I don't know why :)D), but we get a lot of requests from her friends to spend the night here and/or eat dinner with us. Last time, I fixed fried chicken fingers (US-style, not the milanesa like here) with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and buttered corn. It was for a study group of her and six of her friends. They ate so much they couldn't study after eating...

Back