American Food

ElQueso said:
I made some nice, (not too) thick burgers last night ... Butter-toasted buns, cheddar cheese, the whole nine yards ... french toast with chorizos (cut in half and fried) ... fried chicken fingers (US-style, not the milanesa like here) with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and buttered corn

How's 8:30?

BTW - if anyone likes to try to duplicate American-style bacon here, you can come close with panceta. Get it thick sliced so you don't end up with paper-thin strips. Cut the skin off if the extra hardness bothers you when eating it (I do).

Buy some liquid smoke (if you can't find it in the local super, expensive there anyway, barrio Chino has places that sell quantities for half the price of most supers here). Fill a plastic container with water and liquid smoke (you'll have to work out the proportions - I know about how much to add), add salt if you like it, maybe even some black pepper. Stick the panceta strips in the solution, cover it, and stick in the fridge for at least 12 hours, maybe a day even better. Take the strips out and let them dry out, then store them for use.

It doesn't come out quite like bacon in the States, panceta here isn't as fatty as bacon in the States, so that makes a difference in how they cook. But the taste is pretty good...

BienTeVeo said:
Can someone explain why it's so hard to find a good burger in this town? It's not rocket science.
Actually, it's not all that easy. Argentine beef is much leaner than US beef, and the natural, grass-fed flavor is different than standard US beef. I once used a high-end organic cut of lean beef in the US and had similar problems.

The first time I tried to grind beef into hamburger here, the patties fell apart for lack of fat. I then had a carnicero add some fat to the grinder (he thought I was nuts), but the results had an odd, fatty flavor. I've also tried grinding panceta into a fairly fatty cut of beef, but I still don't get anything like I do with US beef.

Anyone have a sure-fire approach?

I went a-googling for "best cut of beef for burgers" and came up with a mixture of chuck and sirloin. Now we have to translate that into argentine cuts. Any butchers out there?

GoodQuestion said:
Yesterday, I went for the 2nd time to a restaurant called Gringa's (take off on Gringo's).

Revision: Just realized that people might want to know where these places are:
Gringa: Costa Rica 6094
Sugar: Costa Rica 4619
Casa Bar: Rodriguez Pena 1150

GRINGAS IS CURRENTLY CLOSED :(

I went to Gringa's 3 weeks ago on a Sat morning and it was closed - looked like they were renovating. I walked by last week and it was still closed......There's a place a block away called Oui Oui which has Eggs Benedict but guess what they were out of fubbing eggs when I got there, que pena!

I buy carne picada ground from "paleta." It's a pretty common stew beef. It has a decent amount of fat and the truth is, it tastes just like any hamburger I've ever eaten in the US (as far as I can remember!). Get the paleta from a trusted carnicero so it doesn't have a lot of gristle and such mixed with it.

ElQueso said:
I buy carne picada ground from "paleta." It's a pretty common stew beef. It has a decent amount of fat and the truth is, it tastes just like any hamburger I've ever eaten in the US (as far as I can remember!). Get the paleta from a trusted carnicero so it doesn't have a lot of gristle and such mixed with it.

Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back.

ElQueso said:

I'd actually like to make a traditional meatloaf one night for an Argentine who has never had it... any ideas on whether carne picada is the type of meat I should be buying?

starlucia said:
I'd actually like to make a traditional meatloaf one night for an Argentine who has never had it... any ideas on whether carne picada is the type of meat I should be buying?

It is. It just means ground beef. The difference is the fat content - what kind of beef are you going to grind up to make it. For meatloaf I don't think it makes too much difference whether it's fatty or not as far as things holding together because of the eggs, and/or water, and/or cheese, breadcrumbs and/or oats (depending on the "traditional recipe :) ).

I think you'd be fine just grabbing "carne picada" from the super market to make a meatloaf - I have.

BTW - my traditional meatloaf recipe combines 2/3 ground beef with 1/3 ground pork sausage. You can use chorizos for this - just cut the "skin" and unpeel it, then mix it with the ground beef. Not quite as good as Jimmy Dean ground pork sausage, but...

El Queso -

Reporting back. I went right out last night a bought some ground paleta. Why defer gratification? It worked very well for burgers. Thanks for the tip.

Now, about the pickles.... Does anyone here know of an equivalent to good old dill pickles?

Back