An Ex-Expat's Observations from the US

Napoleon said:
Home is difficult to define.

A couple, that I'm really good friends with, moved to Seoul from Texas for 2 years last ~July. They've taken their two kids and are totally exposing them to as much as possible. The couple (not the kids) just left the cold snowy winter weather of Seoul for a week in Maui. They hit the beach, they hit ziplines, they hit whatever. They relaxed, probably drank too much, and then probably also had some "quiet time".

Upon returning, as the plane was landing in Seoul (oh, they are rather tall white people), the wife said to her husband- "It's good to be home."

They aren't Korean, are definitely returning to the States in 18 more months, and their "energies" are in the US as well, most notably Texas & California. (Talking about "energy" is very California, I understand.) But they still feel like Korea is "home" at the moment.

There's no need to judge where people find themselves in life. (Unless it's San Telmo or certain parts of Palermo, because they're delusional.) I could live here the rest of my life, or something could happen that could change all that in the blink of an eye. If you can afford it, life is easier in the States than here. Probably easier than almost anywhere in the world. Some people run out of will/fight and don't want every day to be a challenge.

Just a little tired, and don't blame people for wanting conveniences & respect in their lives.
Generally speaking, I agree, no need to be overly judgemental about where people choose to live. But to say that the USA is an easy place to live...... not so for many, and even if you have lots of money, in the USA, given your circumstances, that money can vanish in a heartbeat, so to speak. There are tons of formerly "monied" people in the USA, scraping to make ends meet, who might have wished they had taken what money they used to have and headed elsewhere.

Lee said:
Clearly you were just marking time until you moved back to the USA while you were in Argentina.

Not so actually. Had a super exciting project we believe 110% in not materialized, we would still be living in Argentina.

There are as many valid reasons that people choose to stay in or return to their country of birth as there are reasons to be an expat. Good luck with the new project.

Oh and the comment about being addicted to blackberry, etc - it is 100% the same here. Well, not so much bberry due to price point but every time I'm out with my younger Argentine friends, they spend the entire evening texting, answering phone calls, making phone calls, etc. Doesn't matter what is going on - in the middle of dinner, drinks, a party, sex - they will pick up the phone. That's not specific to the US.

Hey Soul:::::
Good to hear from and about ya. Enjoy this phase as they are all just a prelude to the next. Good vibes and success.

soulskier said:
A few more

-Being able to pay with a debit card and actually get cash back

-Lots of TV commercials about food and drugs

-Spicy food

Soulskier, You know how you used to meet a new babe (I'm talking from a guys POV obviously) the beginning of the relationship was ALWAYS the most positive/hottest part? Well, that's were you're at with the USA. You forgot to mention -

#1 The massive violence and crime EVERYWHERE !!

#2 The TOTALLY f*cked up so called "HEALTH CARE SYSTEM" that Blue Shield/Blue Cross of California said needs to jack up premiums by, for some, 59% (third increase in one year - Government is impotent, can't stop sh*t). These A**Hole's - CEO's of Health Insurance Companies - are the biggest immoral, greedy crooks in the world. DON'T GET SICK, DON'T GET HURT, you can't afford it....

#3 A Country full of stupid, ignorant people in the twilight years of it's power and influence - enjoy the ride on the gigantic Downward Spiral into poverty and darkness (but we still have TONS of nukes sitting around everywhere - Yippie !!!! ain't ALL BAD - lol)

#4 Assassination attempts on politicians, killing little girls in the process - opps (well, I doubt the f*cking nut cared, and believe me, these nuts are EVERYWHERE)

#5 Top 2% of the richest Americans own something like half of all the wealth - real balanced.

#6 Welcome back to the land of guns and bibles my friend - honeymoon should be over VERY soon, keep us informed. Dudester

Doesn't the dudester actually live in the US:confused:

Dude (pun intended) - if you hate it so much, stop sucking on the teat and leave the US. There are lots of countries out there. But I'll break it to you now - none are perfect.:rolleyes:

Dudester said:
Soulskier, You know how you used to meet a new babe (I'm talking from a guys POV obviously - assuming you're a guy) the beginning of the relationship was ALWAYS the best/hottest part? Well, that's were you're at with the USA. You forgot to mention -

#1 The massive violence and crime EVERYWHERE !!

#2 The TOTALLY f*cked up so called "HEALTH CARE SYSTEM" that Blue Shield/Blue Cross of California said needs to jack up premiums by, for some, 59% (third increase in one year - Government is impotent, can't stop sh*t). These A**Hole's - CEO's of Health Insurance Companies - are the biggest immoral, greedy crooks in the world. DON'T GET SICK, DON'T GET HURT, you can't afford it....

#3 A Country full of stupid, ignorant people in the twilight years of it's power and influence - enjoy the ride on the gigantic Downward Spiral into poverty and darkness (but we still have TONS of nukes sitting around everywhere - Yippie !!!! ain't ALL BAD - lol)

#4 Assassination attempts on politicians, killing little girls in the process - opps (well, I doubt the f*cking nut cared, and believe me, these nuts are EVERYWHERE)

#5 Top 2% of the richest Americans own something like half of all the wealth - real balanced.

#6 Welcome back to the land of guns and bibles my friend - honeymoon should be over VERY soon, keep us informed. Dudester

Thanks for your balanced viewed.

citygirl said:
Oh and the comment about being addicted to blackberry, etc - it is 100% the same here...

Consider it a global phenomenon, people all over the world walking around with heads bowed into their gadget. Doesn't matter what is happening in front of them, whatever is going on electronically is more important.
People driving, smoking a cigarette and texting at the same time -- I don't want to think about it.

I do think it peculiar that in BsAs, where people tend to eye each other suspiciously, there are so many people walking around with headphones, thus reducing their awareness of what is around them.

Back