Another Mass Shooting In The Us...

Hi GS:
It is not a fact she could have done something. This is only assumption and an opinion not a fact.
The fact is an entire Police Department COULD NOT and DID NOT do something facing ONE evil gun.
Guns kill, indiscriminately regardless who is the good guy or the bad guy.

Actually, that not true. They did do something. They killed him. That would be a fact.

Guns don't kill indiscriminately. If that were the case I would be terrified of my pistols and shotguns. Sorry, but you are applying a rational, reasoning trait to an inanimate object. Someone needs to point and pull the trigger and that is the discrimination.

I appreciate your real world examples full of practical and realistic details. I do think the way to improve things is to work on understanding these situations by discussing practical models that can be tested by looking logically at evidence of what works and what doesn't.
*snip*
As a simplistic counter-example to your recipe, following your restaurant shooting example, a surviving 1/3 of the diners being armed leave to find some people nearby to shoot. At a minimum the restaurant model needs to show how exponential growth of violence proceeds to be labelled real.

I agree. I do understand the concept of scale.

And, after hundreds and hundreds of hours of tactical urban training and civilian action shooting training I don't think the answer is to arm everybody. That would just be stupid.

You and I agree 100%.

GS:
Appreciate your time.
I just wanted to know first hand the true feelings of the other side of the debate on this divisive issue.
No we don`t agree on any thing.

It`s time to sincerely wish you best and agree to disagree.

In a small city there are say 100,000 people. If most of them carry weapons then the probability that a small number will be armed when having a bad day and losing their tempers with random strangers become real. In a sizeable population social dynamics are not what happens in a restaurant where each person can see the antagonist - the 50-person restaurant is not an adequate model of how people act in large scale. One of the factors affecting scale is that as a model is scaled up it has to model resource limits, that are typically not present in small scale situations. Large scale models also have to deal with closed-world assumptions that can often be left out in small models. People intuitively understand that these problems of scale are critical. The growth of events in social populations is not linear, it is typically exponential; including the comunication of fear and fear responses. As a simplistic counter-example to your recipe, following your restaurant shooting example, a surviving 1/3 of the diners being armed leave to find some people nearby to shoot. At a minimum the restaurant model needs to show how exponential growth of violence proceeds to be labelled real.

Why would 1/3 of the surviving and armed diners leave the restaurant to find some people nearby to shoot? How can you assume that the violence that took place in the restaurant would grow exponentially after the first incident? Would any of the armed the survivors of restaurant shooting have had such a bad day that they would then lose their tempers and become violent? Is model an example of how things could ever work in the real world? it doesn't make sense to me. Please elaborate.

GS:

Appreciate your time.
I just wanted to know how do you feel about this divisive issue.
No we don`t agree on any thing.

It`s time to sincerely wish you best and agree to disagree.

Me, too. Nothing personal against anyone who has a different view. And, I'm not an NRA flag-waver - I don't have any emotion about it. I just don't think legislation will do anything to stop mass shootings for the reasons I've listed above, at least not in the US.

After giving some thought to the recent arguments about how limited gun rights don't prevent violence and how everyone should have the right to carry a gun in order to prevent gun violence. My roommate said that's like saying we should infect everyone with HIV so we don't have to worry about it spreading.

After giving some thought to the recent arguments about how limited gun rights don't prevent violence and how everyone should have the right to carry a gun in order to prevent gun violence. My roommate said that's like saying we should infect everyone with HIV so we don't have to worry about it spreading.
Yeah or make every bar a gay bar so next time the shooter won't know where to go :p

From a Texan friend of mine:

""Open Carry Clowns are struggling with feelings of inadequacy and mean to wear an "Equalizer" in the form of a large, intimidating weapon in order to create in others, a fear equivalent to the one that they live with everyday as a result of their deep feelings of inadequacy. Further, their own fear results in a strong sense of paranoia - an unfounded feeling that others mean to harm them - which they attempt to assuage through a constant replaying of a "Hero" Fantasy in which they assert their manhood, strength and courage by "saving" one person or many from an armed intruder or maniac. Not only is this an improbable fantasy, it is a wildly improbable outcome - as shown by the total impotence of the armed Open Carry Clowns in Dallas, to say nothing of their rapid flight.

Nonetheless, the combination of deep feelings of inadequacy accompanied by a desire to intimidate by displaying a large weapon, paranoia and the "Hero" Fantasy are the common denominators in the Psyches of the Open Carriers. The manufacturers of weapons employ market researchers who have delved the psychological motivations of gun owners. Understand that this does not mean that ALL owners of guns suffer from these feelings. Rather, it is the Open Carriers, walking in public with obscenely large weapons prominently displayed in public places where most people feel perfectly safe except for these over-compensating ninnies carrying weapons."

I've had a few conversations with him on this subject and he tells me the majority of the 'open carry clowns' he knows are pathetic individuals and some of them he treats professionally (he's a medic) should never be anywhere near any type of weapon.
"

Back