Another Mass Shooting In The Us...

If you don't like guns, go to a state, or a country, or what-have-you, where they don't allow guns or have more control over the guns - and there's not a constitution that guarantees certain rights. If you find the US too open in the "best" of places for guns - go somewhere else!

Exactly to the point.

That is the real debate. (The debate is not about technical jargon and classification of guns and gun skills, knives, bombs, legislation, 2nd amendment ... all but distractions).

There is NO WAY the 2 sides of the gun real debate will ever see eye to eye.

I don't think it bloody matters what legislation is passed. If someone wants to aquire a firearm and ammo of any kind they will find the means.

I don't suppose gang members are applying for permits are they? If some teenager can get ahold of a weapon or explosive materials, then I'm sure anyone motivated enough would be able to as well. This is yet another soapbox for the left-leaning to plant their morality flag onto. You can change all the laws you want - That will not stop violence from happening even if they have to come at you and papercut you to death.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

​Those of you who defend the second amendment ... what do you think the first half of the amendment is there for? Has it no qualifying or restricting purpose? Does it not provide context for the second half? Is the entire meaning of the amendment the same with or without the first half?

Bob

Further to the Second Amendment, the practical translation of the quote is that the people have a right to defend themselves against a tyrannous government.

One needs to fully understand the cultural history of the United States to fully comprehend the meaning. A read of the Declaration of Independence is also very helpful and insightful on this issue.

Original Intent and Purpose of the Second Amendment

Introduction
The Second Amendment:
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.
The original intent and purpose of the Second Amendment was to preserve and guarantee, not grant, the pre-existing right of individuals to keep and bear arms. Although the amendment emphasizes the need for a militia, membership in any militia, let alone a well-regulated one, was not intended to serve as a prerequisite for exercising the right to keep arms.

The Second Amendment preserves and guarantees an individual right for a collective purpose. That does not transform the right into a "collective right." The militia clause was a declaration of purpose, and preserving the people's right to keep and bear arms was the method the framers chose to, in-part, ensure the continuation of a well-regulated militia.

There is no contrary evidence from the writings of the Founding Fathers, early American legal commentators, or pre-twentieth century Supreme Court decisions, indicating that the Second Amendment was intended to apply solely to active militia members.

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndpur.html

(The debate is not about technical jargon and classification of guns and gun skills, knives, bombs, legislation, 2nd amendment, etc etc ... all but distractions).

There is NO WAY the 2 sides of the gun debate will ever see eye to eye.

Id like to Argue against your statement. But first, If you would first define "failed", and "work" so we can avoid a discussion in semantics.

After mass shooting reports some weep, others rush out to buy even more guns. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/10/us/gun-sales-terrorism-obama-restrictions.html? (Just one of many sources, so please don´t all rush to rubbish the NYT)

Used to be grief united us but it seems society is more polarised by ever. Good luck finding a solution for that.

What did the guys who wrote up the Constitution and fight for independence and all that"stuff" have to say about Americans owning guns?

I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians.” – George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment.

A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves.” – Richard Henry Lee.

“And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams.

“Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

“Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?” – Patrick Henry.

The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.” – Alexander Hamilton.

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them.” – George Mason.

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.” – Noah Webster.

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin.

A free people ought to be armed.” – George Washington.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” – George Washington. [That's one of my favorites of all time, and I whole-heartedly agree. I think Robert Heinlein paraphrased him by saying something like (my paraphrasing) "Guns make people polite" - El Queso]

Intent can also be shown when looking at the evolution of the text of the 2nd Amendment and the wording that State constitutions used as well.

The fact is, if people want to get rid of guns in the States, or control them even more tightly than they currently are, it's fine, do it - legally. Get Congress to create an amendment, have them vote 2/3 to pass it on for ratification, and then have 3/4 of the State legislatures in the country ratify it and you can have complete control of guns in the US.

Until then, maybe we are faced with people like this:

“We’ll go through the gate. If the gate’s closed, we’ll go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we’ll pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we’ll parachute in but we're going to get health care reform passed for the America people." - Ex-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi

I would add, when referring to doing something "for the American People" - whether they like it or not. Maybe barely half the country wanted "Obama Care" and it got shoved down ALL of our throats. Is that really Democracy?

I'd be happy to see the US break up. Not because I'm not a patriot - but rather because I am. To me, the US has lost its way in it's desire to control the world and even its own people's lives in a micromanaged hell that the founders of the US saw coming and still would turn cartwheels in their graves from frustration. As Khairy seems to be intimating, let the US break up into smaller groups who are more homogenous among themselves as far as their beliefs go and let's quit trying to force everyone into the same slot.

I've never even owned a gun in my life. My father was in the army and learned quite a bit about handling weapons. He had a .22 rifle that we would go out and shoot in the woods (he still has it for killing varmints on his property), I love the feeling of targeting something and hitting it (I target shoot, I don't really care for hunting), the feeling of the kick as you realize that you are harnessing a great amount of power, me, homo sapiens, a tool user, handling a piece of technology. I've never fired a pistol, much less owned one. But a good friend of mine in Texas has a permit to carry concealed. He is by far one of the least violent people I know on this planet. He carries it for defense. I don't agree with him, myself - I think it more likely to cause trouble, but I wouldn't force my way of thinking on him and there are certainly circumstances when it would be excellent to find one's self armed.

Neither myself, my father nor my good friend in Austin have ever gone on a rampage and killed anyone. No one we know has ever done so. I'm betting no one that we know that they know, know anyone who have. Heh. All the gum-flapping about the danger guns represent is so exaggerated by those who would control us and echoed by people who for some reason feel the need to make the world "perfect" - according to their image, perfectly safe, with no danger to anyone, ever. Or at least work toward that no matter the cost. Other motivations I really can't imagine.

We'll never get there. Or if we do, we won't be human any more. The relative peace a fraction of us feel, people born in relatively free countries, is a recent, fragile, and most likely temporal state. Earth will soon (time is relative) become only one little spot in the universe that hosts human beings. We will expand throughout the solar system at some point (if we don't destroy ourselves first) and probably even to the stars in some form. We will always fight. We will always have our flaws. They just won't be the same ones we have today.

Peace is not the natural state of life. Pretending otherwise is sticking one's head in the sand and ignoring reality. Be ready to defend your rights your own self if need be.

What did the guys who wrote up the Constitution and fight for independence and all that"stuff" have to say about Americans owning guns?

Intent can also be shown when looking at the evolution of the text of the 2nd Amendment and the wording that State constitutions used as well.

The fact is, if people want to get rid of guns in the States, or control them even more tightly than they currently are, it's fine, do it - legally. Get Congress to create an amendment, have them vote 2/3 to pass it on for ratification, and then have 3/4 of the State legislatures in the country ratify it and you can have complete control of guns in the US.

Until then, maybe we are faced with people like this:

I would add, when referring to doing something "for the American People" - whether they like it or not. Maybe barely half the country wanted "Obama Care" and it got shoved down ALL of our throats. Is that really Democracy?

I'd be happy to see the US break up. Not because I'm not a patriot - but rather because I am. To me, the US has lost its way in it's desire to control the world and even its own people's lives in a micromanaged hell that the founders of the US saw coming and still would turn cartwheels in their graves from frustration. As Khairy seems to be intimating, let the US break up into smaller groups who are more homogenous among themselves as far as their beliefs go and let's quit trying to force everyone into the same slot.

I've never even owned a gun in my life. My father was in the army and he had a .22 rifle that we would go out and shoot in the woods (he still has it for killing varmints on his property), I love the feeling of targeting something and hitting it (I target shoot, I don't really care for hunting), the feeling of the kick as you realize that you are harnessing a great amount of power, me, homo sapiens, a tool user, handling a piece of technology. I've never fired a pistol, much less owned one. But a good friend of mine in Texas has a permit to carry concealed. He is by far one of the least violent people I know on this planet. He carries it for defense. I don't agree with him, myself - I think it more likely to cause trouble, but I wouldn't force my way of thinking on him and there are certainly circumstances when it would be excellent to find one's self armed.

Neither myself, my father nor my good friend in Austin have ever gone on a rampage and killed anyone. No one we know has ever done so. I'm betting no one that we know that they know, know anyone who have. Heh. All the gum-flapping about the danger guns represent is so exaggerated by those who would control us and echoed by people who for some reason feel the need to make the world "perfect" - according to their image, perfectly safe, with no danger to anyone, ever. Or at least work toward that no matter the cost. Other motivations I really can't imagine.

We'll never get there. Or if we do, we won't be human any more. The relative peace a fraction of us feel, people born in relatively free countries, is a recent, fragile, and most likely temporal state. Earth will soon (time is relative) become only one little spot in the universe that hosts human beings. We will expand throughout the solar system at some point (if we don't destroy ourselves first) and probably even to the stars in some form. We will always fight. We will always have our flaws. They just won't be the same ones we have today.

Peace is not the natural state of life. Pretending otherwise is sticking one's head in the sand and ignoring reality. Be ready to defend your rights your own self if need be.

Somehow I still believe despite all the arguments in this thread that anyone who gets a power rush from shooting a gun needs to get their head checked. So what if the founding fathers believe in someone's right to carry a weapon? It's 2016 and the circumstances have changed. Although, I'm in awe of the 81 year old grandmother who shot the penis and testicles off her granddaughter's rapists with her legalized hand gun. You go grandma! Thank God for out right to carry a weapon.

http://www.miamiactualidad.com/2015/11/mujer-de-81-mato-a-los-violadores-de-su-nieta-y-de-que-forma-ahora-es-llamada-la-rambo-de-australia/

Back