Another Train Crash

because they have a less corrupted society. "saltearse el molinete" aka not paying the train is a tradition here, you have to go waaaaay back to the tango days to understand why happens. With the colectivos, however, is much more uncommon, and you have an expanded net of colectivos that works very well in my opinion. I complain about the smog and the noise, but I recognise the frequency its ok, even at night.
Transportation has been one of the nodal policies this government had to get out of the crisis, and with the exception of Once accident it had worked fine to the people.

I recall seeing people jumping the turnstiles in London and New York in the 1970s, but that would be unthinkable now. Why can't Argentina even catch up with Chile?

yes, risk is everywhere in a decadent, very corrupted and anomic (as oposed to altruistic) society as Argentina. As I said many times here, corruption in this country is cultural, it is from the verdulero to the bussinessman, it is Cristina but also Macri and Carrio, it is everywhere. Of course some has more risponsability than others, you cant compare not paying the train with avoiding taxes...

There were a bunch of people who took their last train ride to Once last year that would seriously disagree with you ... if they were still alive.

Yes, it was a tragedy, but people dont demand better trains, I mean, that was probably the cause of the accident, what is in need are controls, not new trains or infraestructure, the trains are ok, they still go fine.

nod
Help Wanted: Motorman, Sarmiento line

Qualifications: candidate must be willing to injure and maim innocent passengers. Known hazard of position, injury or death is highly probable. If interested, apply at local union office.

I am often sarcastic, but anyone who thinks this is funny should go for train ride...and hope for a safe arrival.

I don't joke about life and death...unless we are talking about dating an Argentine woman ;-)

Y'all are proving my point. Corrupt to the core. It is okay to be corrupt because everybody else is corrupt. I respect if this is your value system. But you can excuse corruption all you want, and even put a different label on it. That's why it IS so corrupt here. Everyone excuses it--justifies it.

I couldn't believe it when an Argentinian explained this to me. He hates it. Says his grandfather came here from Spain and was an honest man. I heard this so many places that I asked an Argentina woman in a management position here if it is true. She thought a minute and said, "Yes, it is." Then she told me the most popular song ever in Argentina said, translated to English, "If you don't lie and you don't steal, you are stupid."

Don't misunderstand. I love Argentina and the Argentina people. But corruption is corruption, whether Christiana does it, or the person who runs and gets on the train without paying. It's all the same. NO ONE who does that should criticize people who work their way up to politics and do it there as well. What do you think? They will suddenly become honest when they get that position? No! They will just have a bigger opportunity to steal. A thief is going to be a thief--on the train or in the Casa Rosada. I have learned in Argentina that corruption does not come from the top, it comes from the bottom. It will never stop unless someone decides to choose integrity.

One question: Who's Ted Cruz?

Y'all are proving my point. Corrupt to the core. It is okay to be corrupt because everybody else is corrupt. I respect if this is your value system. But you can excuse corruption all you want, and even put a different label on it. That's why it IS so corrupt here. Everyone excuses it--justifies it.

I couldn't believe it when an Argentinian explained this to me. He hates it. Says his grandfather came here from Spain and was an honest man. I heard this so many places that I asked an Argentina woman in a management position here if it is true. She thought a minute and said, "Yes, it is." Then she told me the most popular song ever in Argentina said, translated to English, "If you don't lie and you don't steal, you are stupid."

Don't misunderstand. I love Argentina and the Argentina people. But corruption is corruption, whether Christiana does it, or the person who runs and gets on the train without paying. It's all the same. NO ONE who does that should criticize people who work their way up to politics and do it there as well. What do you think? They will suddenly become honest when they get that position? No! They will just have a bigger opportunity to steal. A thief is going to be a thief--on the train or in the Casa Rosada. I have learned in Argentina that corruption does not come from the top, it comes from the bottom. It will never stop unless someone decides to choose integrity.

One question: Who's Ted Cruz?

I can only wish I didn't know who Ted Cruz is.

I could be wrong, but I think that integrity will never come to Argentina until someone begins. I decided it will begin with me and perhaps a few more of us who realize. I don't take advantage of the free stuff--although I do have subsidies with utilities, etc., ....

I am one of the 4% (idiots) who opted out of the subsidies. I think I pay a few thousands a month.

For Argentina, it will take a big big event to change. But I may be wrong. Colombia has changed, Mexico is trying. Both without a revolution...

Too much coincidence a train crash at Once just before elections. The motor-man stealing the hard-drive and the victims trying to lynch him indicate that the hypothesis that the brakes didn't work is weak.

Last time there was a lot of blabla but I was right. The motor man on the Castelar crash is going to be judged.

Ahhhh, I forgot, the judge arrested the motor-man in this accident too...

The political fight is so dirty and there is so much hate that I think that a sabotaje is possible. The extreme right and left in Argentina think that in between them there is air. But they are wrong, between them is the common people who dies or got injured.

I'm sorry but a lot of people living in this country NEED the subsidies otherwise they could not afford their basic needs. I don't know what you do for a living but if you ask anyone making less than 4000 pesos a month you can be assured they don't think of it as taking advantage and there are a lot of people who make less than that

Back