Anyone Else Experience An Attempted Robbery On Christmas?

where in Palermo wayne? I've lived there on and off for eight years and never had an incident. just curious

Unfortunately, for legal reasons, it would be best if all the specific details were not outlined in the forum. ... I wanted to post this as a sort of alert to anyone else from walking around in Palermo without having their guard up.

As a resident of Palermo, I would really like to hear the details, even via PM if necessary.

I saw in the local press that Palermo is the neighborhood in Capital where one is most likely to get robbed. La Boca might not be so bad after all.

If I were a robber, I'd go where the money is, simple. It's not like Malibu where the cops are overzealous e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yggQ3HbO0Wg

Been here 8 years and never been robbed, or even had it attempted. I have broken up one incident that looked like a robbery (woman being accosted by three callejeros in Plaza San Martin, grabbing at her large purse and yelling at her, while others stood on and watched) and just a few days ago another incident that could have been a young lady being accosted or robbed by callejeros (weren't cartoneros) that were right in front of my building going through the trash at about 2:00 am. There was a lady that was robbed on our street a week or so ago - she was yelling at the top of her head that she'd been robbed, I was in the dining room and looked out the balcony and saw a callejero running down the street toward the cemetery with a purse swinging in the wind.

We now have a full time police presence on our corner, don't know how long that will last.

Every member of my family (extended as well) has been robbed multiple times, in other places, but nothing recent. Nothing in the last couple of weeks even.

Edit: Almost forgot (I wasn't there, but good trustworthy friends were): About a week or so ago, maybe 10 days, my friends were sitting at Exedra (corner of Carlos Peligrini and Cordoba in Micro Centre) late afternoon and witnessed an attempted robbery of an older gentleman sitting at Exedra near the corner. A guy came running up and grabbed the man while he was sitting at the table, by the neck, forcing him to stand. He had waited until the traffic was stopped. he was trying to get the gentleman's watch off his wrist and struggling with the guy. The struggle actually took the two into the street. The other gentleman with whom the target was sitting got up and joined in the struggle. A second guy came up and tried to help the thief. by this time they were in the middle of Cordoba crosswalk and a motorcycle came up and the guy who came to help the original thief jumped on and the bike sped off. this left the original thief who, once he saw that his compatriots had abandoned him, looked around (presumably for another accomplice who was to take him away) and seeing no one coming to his rescue, let the target go and sped off across the street and into the crowds.

That was a pretty big one - middle of the day with a lot of people all around. Kind of surprised everyone...

http://www.diariopopular.com.ar/notas/169008-ola-robos-pirana-palermo-belgrano-y-recoleta

Been here 8 years and never been robbed, or even had it attempted. I have broken up one incident that looked like a robbery (woman being accosted by three callejeros in Plaza San Martin, grabbing at her large purse and yelling at her, while others stood on and watched) and just a few days ago another incident that could have been a young lady being accosted or robbed by callejeros (weren't cartoneros) that were right in front of my building going through the trash at about 2:00 am. There was a lady that was robbed on our street a week or so ago - she was yelling at the top of her head that she'd been robbed, I was in the dining room and looked out the balcony and saw a callejero running down the street toward the cemetery with a purse swinging in the wind.

We now have a full time police presence on our corner, don't know how long that will last.

Every member of my family (extended as well) has been robbed multiple times, in other places, but nothing recent. Nothing in the last couple of weeks even.

Edit: Almost forgot (I wasn't there, but good trustworthy friends were): About a week or so ago, maybe 10 days, my friends were sitting at Exedra (corner of Carlos Peligrini and Cordoba in Micro Centre) late afternoon and witnessed an attempted robbery of an older gentleman sitting at Exedra near the corner. A guy came running up and grabbed the man while he was sitting at the table, by the neck, forcing him to stand. He had waited until the traffic was stopped. he was trying to get the gentleman's watch off his wrist and struggling with the guy. The struggle actually took the two into the street. The other gentleman with whom the target was sitting got up and joined in the struggle. A second guy came up and tried to help the thief. by this time they were in the middle of Cordoba crosswalk and a motorcycle came up and the guy who came to help the original thief jumped on and the bike sped off. this left the original thief who, once he saw that his compatriots had abandoned him, looked around (presumably for another accomplice who was to take him away) and seeing no one coming to his rescue, let the target go and sped off across the street and into the crowds.

That was a pretty big one - middle of the day with a lot of people all around. Kind of surprised everyone...

Since 2007, I've seen several robberies around the Obelisco, usually against people taking photos with high-end cameras or people sitting outside cafes while shopping. In most of the instances, it the robberies appeared to target tourists.

In my original post, I was referring to 2 attempted robberies against me around Uriarte y Honduras. As a courtesy, I wanted to make other people aware that may be in that area. It could obviously happen any where in the city or anywhere in the world, but this was my experience.

Clarin reports today that Palermo has the highest incidence of Motorized bag snatchers followed by Recoleta....!! Palermo one incident every 2 hours

http://www.clarin.co...1274872541.html

Note Policemen seen outside restaurants playing with their cells , are doing overtime hired for protection by the Restaurants, They are not concerned at all with OTHER forms of crime...! :cool:

I'm guessing the OP is a prize fighter with hands registered as deadly weapons. He punched out the Moto Chorro leaving him in critical condition and now he's the subject of a country wide manhunt. And although he could have robbed the incapacitated Moto Chorro he simply said, as he cleaned his bloody knuckles on the perp's shirt, "No one gets robbed today" in the style of Dirty Harry

I'm guessing the OP is a prize fighter with hands registered as deadly weapons. He punched out the Moto Chorro leaving him in critical condition and now he's the subject of a country wide manhunt. And although he could have robbed the incapacitated Moto Chorro he simply said, as he cleaned his bloody knuckles on the perp's shirt, "No one gets robbed today".

It's great to know there are Trolls like Jooe on the forum who make jokes about people that almost get robbed. That's quite an underwhelming contribution to society. You get a pat on the back and a high five for that effort. I simply wanted to alert other people that may be in the area that there appeared to be a brief spike in attempted robberies. Although there was potential, in these 2 instances, nobody was physically hurt. As I mentioned in the earlier post, the police actually watched the attempted robbery, and they had the indecency to wait until everything was over to approach me and ask whether I was robbed and everything was okay. They saw everything and had ample oppotunity to write a detailed report. Try to show a little class next time.

I'm simply trying to ascertain how you convinced the "armed" Chorros to go away empty handed.

This is a skill that many BAexpats would find useful. But you said you couldn't say for legal reasons leading to my speculation.

Another theory is that you pulled out a 357 Magnum and said:

8ykvi6uhpdnhj7n1i0j3mpkwt.390x300x1.png

wayne, thanks for the info. I don't spend much time in Soho. probably the reason I haven't seen much. walk with purpose, stay alert visually, listen for approaching moto's, and don't display jewelry or electronics. its worked for me. would like to know if a fighting posture and loud words in English you fu@#ing a##hole works. thx

Back