Argentina isn't the cheapest

To make it short if you like a more "European Lifestyle" for less cash your choice is simple : Argentina.
If you feel comfortable in Asian cultures you have choices. If you love Caribbean lifestyles, you have choices..! We are talking of a few cents savings, say cost of livings 30 or 34% of NYC.

Add up everything in life......I'll bet that Argentina is the cheapest place....unless you can live without running water....It is cheaper than the Philippines, D.R., Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, C.R.
Cheaper than Thailand? I think there are cheaper places but not everyone enjoys the culture of those countries.

That may be so but I'll be that Bangkok was cheap a decade ago, twenty years ago, thirty years ago but I remember when BA was relatively expensive. Dining out was close to or equal to US prices during Menem. As I said, it's unpredictable,.
The problem is that Argentina is unpredictable. It was expensive for many things under Menem then became cheaper. Now it may become more expensive again. Countries like Thailand or Mexico are more consistent with COL.

I lived for 6 years in Thailand and 4 in Phnom Penh Cambodia...it all depends where you are in each county as rural Thailand or Cambodia is much cheaper than the big cities...that being said there are only two big cities in each of those countries and I lived in both of them.
Everything depends on your needs for an apartment...in Bangkok, Thailand I rented a New one bedroom apartment with pool and all the amenities, one block from the sky train in Prakanong for $200. It was beautiful! A meal on the street (where most of the good food is) was $1 and includes main dish, soup and a drink.
In more rural Thailand I paid $75 for a one bedroom apartment! In Phnom Penh Cambodia I had a luxurious 2 bedroom apartment that was huge for $200 but I also paid just $60 for a studio at first! A meal on the street was 50 cents!
Eventually, I built a house on half an acre near the beach in a small fishing village near Chumphon Thailand...cost 22k including the half acre of land lease for 30 years plus 30 more....2800 square feet of house, hahaha.

Yes, it's very cheap in Argentina. Even if Argentina ever could truly dollarize (I don't see that happening anytime soon). It won't be expensive like it was before.

I'm not sure if Argentina is cheaper than Bangkok. I was just there not long ago and it was very very very very cheap. If it weren't for the horrible hot and humid weather it would be great. I took a family of 5 to eat a delicious and fresh meal and it was only around $20 US. No where even in Buenos Aires you can eat that cheap. Some places like Terminal 21 upstairs in the food court where you had fabulous food that was really fresh we had meals for as low as $12 for the 5 of us.

Things like 1 hour massage in Bangkok (and much of Thailand) I was paying $6 US per hour. In Buenos Aires I pay $10 per hour at a comparable place.

In Buenos Aires at most places were were still spending on average about $70 US dollars for the 5 of us by the time you added up appetizers, main entre, drinks and dessert.

Some of these places this guy is saying are affordable, aren't really that affordable. Colombia isn't really cheap. And he mentions Cali which is a complete DUMP. No one would want to live there. Colombia things are expensive. Food isn't too cheap, electricty is expensive. He mentions Cartagena which is way overpriced. I find most cities in Colombia to be a dump.

Argentina is VERY cheap and the quality of life is amazing here. Especially Buenos Aires. NOT a place to live if you have to make money here but if RETIREMENT is where you want to live, I don't think it gets any better. I've been to over 575+ cities around the world. About 125 countries. Buenos Aires is amazing to retire to.
By the way, I was just reading this and I got Thai massages all the time for $5 an hour but I also paid as little as $1.60 in Bangkok at a Temple.

Back