Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oops let me clear that up
Dual citizenship is current citizenship of where you were born, in conjuction with the country that corresponds with either parent. Citizenship obtained just for the hell of it with no relation to that of either parent is not dual citizenship. They are two totally seprate entities. Now if you dont say anything no one will know, and who cares anyways for cying out loud!!

ferka07 said:
A US citizen ontaining another citizenship must turn in their US citizenship as their civic duty. But what the government doesn't know wont hurt them....wink;) There is your answer

This seems to come up quite a bit, but it's incorrect. The US government specifically does not care if you have citizenship of another country.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

"In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship." (emphasis added)

Absent that very important state of mind, the US doesn't care what other countries you become a citizen of.

About half the US soccer players playing in Europe are doing so based on dual citizenship, whether it's a European passport or a passport from a country that has an easier time gaining European work permits. (Africa & maybe countries in the Caribbean.)

My mother mentioned that you couldn't have two passports if you were/are a US citizen and after telling her that she didn't have a clue and obviously didn't follow sports, I proceeded to list off friends of hers and friends of mine who had dual citizenship.

I'm thinking that we're more informed of Argentine laws via BA Expats than many Americans are of American laws.

Lee said:
With the possible exception of Cuba perhaps.

Not even Cuban citizenship will cause you problems, unless you plan on taking up a "policy level position" in the Cuban government, or voluntarily taking up arms against the United States.

Here is a really good set of FAQs that clears up most questions:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

ferka07 said:
oops let me clear that up
Dual citizenship is current citizenship of where you were born, in conjuction with the country that corresponds with either parent. Citizenship obtained just for the hell of it with no relation to that of either parent is not dual citizenship. They are two totally seprate entities. Now if you dont say anything no one will know, and who cares anyways for cying out loud!!

I'm not going to get into this again. What you wrote is just wrong. Please research the issue before you comment.

As for not telling anyone, that is also a bad idea. There are times when you must swear under penalty of perjury that you have no alliance to any other country such as when you renew your passport. To swear to this when it is not true is a criminal offense. You must inform them that you do in fact hold an allegiance to another country and they will remove this part of any document you are signing. Committing perjury is a bad idea.

Lee said:
With the possible exception of Cuba perhaps.

Perhaps Iran & North Korea as well... But NDCJ's got the right idea.

PS, I already said all this a bunch of pages back....

mini said:
I'm not going to get into this again. What you wrote is just wrong. Please research the issue before you comment.

As for not telling anyone, that is also a bad idea. There are times when you must swear under penalty of perjury that you have no alliance to any other country such as when you renew your passport. To swear to this when it is not true is a criminal offense. You must inform them that you do in fact hold an allegiance to another country and they will remove this part of any document you are signing. Committing perjury is a bad idea.

You don´t lose automatically the US citizenship:

POTENTIALLY EXPATRIATING ACTS

Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Briefly stated, these acts include:
obtaining naturalization in a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (1) INA);
taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration to a foreign state or its political subdivisions (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);
entering or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities against the U.S. or serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);
accepting employment with a foreign government if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (b) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);
formally renouncing U.S. citizenship before a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer outside the United States (sec. 349 (a) (5) INA);
formally renouncing U.S. citizenship within the U.S. (but only under strict, narrow statutory conditions) (Sec. 349 (a) (6) INA);
conviction for an act of treason (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA).

ADMINISTRATIVE STANDARD OF EVIDENCE

As already noted, the actions listed above can cause loss of U.S. citizenship only if performed voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship. The Department has a uniform administrative standard of evidence based on the premise that U.S. citizens intend to retain United States citizenship when they obtain naturalization in a foreign state, subscribe to a declaration of allegiance to a foreign state, serve in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or accept non-policy level employment with a foreign government.

DISPOSITION OF CASES WHEN ADMINISTRATIVE PREMISE IS APPLICABLE

In light of the administrative premise discussed above, a person who:
is naturalized in a foreign country;
takes a routine oath of allegiance to a foreign state;
serves in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or
accepts non-policy level employment with a foreign government,

and in so doing wishes to retain U.S. citizenship need not submit prior to the commission of a potentially expatriating act a statement or evidence of his or her intent to retain U.S. citizenship since such an intent will be presumed.

When, as the result of an individual's inquiry or an individual's application for registration or a passport it comes to the attention of a U.S. consular officer that a U.S. citizen has performed an act made potentially expatriating by Sections 349(a)(1), 349(a)(2), 349(a)(3) or 349(a)(4) as described above, the consular officer will simply ask the applicant if there was intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship when performing the act. If the answer is no, the consular officer will certify that it was not the person's intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship and, consequently, find that the person has retained U.S. citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

Some counties where you lose your citizenship:
Japan
China
Germany (there is a procedure for dual citizenship)
Switzerland

Bajo_cero2 said:
You don´t lose automatically the US citizenship:

I never said you did. I've been saying the exact opposite. Seriously pay attention.
What I said in the post that you quoted is that you can't lie about it under oath. That's a crime.

PS, Switzerland allows dual citizenship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back