Argentine Movie Recommendations

Apasianados with Natalia Verbeke (whol is drop dead gorgeous) the story about a hot girl who wants her friends boyfriend to be the surrogate father of her baby.

Cautivo is excellent good BsAs scenes

Dolores de Casada story of a middle age couple with a daughter.

Some Spanish movies from spain

Mal uva story of a retired hitman called on to do one more job to save his vineyard. More comic than a drama

The perfect crime (crimen imperfecto) with Guilermo Toledo comic story of a clothing salesman who whacks his boss and must marry the ugly women who witnessed him doing it. The scene where she brings him home to meet the family is priceless.

My favorite Argentine movie is "No Sos Vos, Soy Yo." It's comedy about a guy who goes through a sudden divorce after his unfaithful wife admits to cheating on him long distance, and he suffers a lot of "growing pains" trying to get back onto the dating scene with hilarious setbacks, but with a happy ending (of course :))

I also started watching "Un Novio Para Mi Mujer" but haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, but so far, so good!

One of my favorite movies:
Leonera by Pablo Trapero (women's jail, kind of documentary through fiction, very strong and beatiful at the same time) Here is a post (in spanish) where I wrote about it that has the trailer and a little more info: http://extracine.com/2009/12/pelicula-indispensable-leonera-de-pablo-trapero

Something lighter:
El viento se llevó lo que (Its about a town in Patagonia where the young people have language problems because they only watch broken movies. A kind of social magic story. I saw it many years ago but I remember it very sweet and fun)

If you want hard comedy: Esperando la carroza, itś incredible how they scream all the time and you cant get tired of it.

So many... we should make a home festival :p

"Tiempo de revancha " excellent thriller, as well as all Adolfo Aristarain movies.
"Esperando la carroza" comedy
"la tregua"

If you should run out of Argentinian films here's a couple of good Uruguayan films you should watch-btw, their accents will be quite alike and they tend to speak a tad more slowly so that might help too ;)

Whisky

El baño del Papa

Gigante

Enjoy!

XXY - technically Uruguayo, but very good. Un Novio Para mi Mujer, Taxi: Un Encuentro.

Seconds here for Kamchatka and Cama Adentro.

LT22 Radio La Colifata is a documentary about the radio station of the same name set up in a psychiatric hospital in BA, which was massively popular here a few years ago (I think, but am not sure, that it's been shut down since - I'm sure longer-standing BA-dwellers/board members will confirm this). It's a very moving film, it'll introduce you to some highly colourful porteño slang, and it's got quite extensive footage of a Manu Chao gig (as well as a soundtrack written by the man himself).

Iluminados Por El Fuego is about the experience of a young solider during the Falklands/Malvinas war, and stars Gastón Pauls (the guy who plays Juan in Nine Queens). I saw it at the Manchester Latin American Film Festival in 2006 and was lucky enough to meet the writer afterwards - it's based on his actual experiences and obviously it was quite a major thing for him that it got accepted to be shown at a film festival in the UK.

Good luck with the learning process. I went to see Darín's new film Carancho last week in the cinema - first time I've watched a Spanish-language film without subtitular assistance! Wasn't sure how much of it I'd get but my God it was rewarding when I came out!

flippinkittin said:
I don't watch many Argentine movies, but 'Tetro' is about 3/4 English 1/4 Castellano, and is really a great movie that was set in and filmed in Buenos Aires.

Just watched it. Fabulous!

Back