Beers In Ba

Page8383

Registered
I don't know if its just me, but there seems to be a severe lack if beer variety in BA.

Getting a Stella / Heineken / Quilmes via 1 Ltr bottles in bars proves to be totally yawn-worthy after a few months.

I understand that there are some standout bars that serve their own product via tap (ie Antares) but what is going on with the absolute lack of beer in BA!?

I understand that there are import restrictions, but there are heaps of great microbreweries in the south of Argentina that I simply cannot find here in BA. Why aren't these good argy beers in BA - which is a potentially enormous market.

This must be a business / enterprise opportunity or do Quilmes have some sort of mafioso stranglehold on the market here?

Does anyone know where I can get a decent draught beer in a bar or buy some microbrewed stuff (ie Lacar, Antares, Bauhaus) in supermarkets for asados etc?

Cheers

In some of the bigger carrefours (like in zona norte) you can find Antares beer in bottles. A 12oz "porron" of the imperial stout costs about 17 pesos.

Cervelar, av el cano. Drink em and buy em to bring them home.

Problem is price, the larger brands are much much cheaper. Some such as isenbeck, schneider and patagonia are mass market and pretty good.

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/life-style/food-drink/where-to-buy-good-beer-in-buenos-aires/

this article lists a few places.

Also Jauja, the favorite heladeria of a few people here including myself, sells some good beer from El Bolson.
http://www.heladosjauja.com/sucursales.php

Hey Miller and Miller Lite just arrived here in Argentina haha.....oh you mentioned... GOOD beer......

There are a few beers you find in stores patagonia, otro mundo... it depends store to store... but yes there is a lack of beer choice..... i would kill for a good newcastle brown ale..... but argentina is just not a beer place... hell anyplace that thinks fernet and coke is good you have to wonder..hahahaha just joking!!

I have forced myself to start enjoying quilmes bock and quilmes stout......

maybe we need to have a happy hour to do a taste test....

Also the Warsteiner is not bad if you like pilsener style beers. From the 'local' brewery in Mendoza I like the Andes Porter. Not sure what it looks like in BsAs but here the Jumbo supermarkets always has a small selection of international (imported) beers (Negra Modelo, Paulaner, etc.). They are a lot more expensive than the beers brewed locally, though.

the supermarkets in barrio chino carry quite a few brands. They even have guiness.

I have heard very good things about the local Broeder beers which i am looking forward to trying. Any tasting reports?

Generally I turn to the Patagonia beers (wheat, pilsen, amber) when I cant stand Qulimes etc any longer. They seem to be available in many supermarkets these days.

Isenbeck has an Oktoberfest brew out right now. Its a marzen style beer and is actually quite nice. I´ve found it in my local Chino. Probably won´t be around for long though.

http://www.argentina...n-buenos-aires/

this article lists a few places.

Also Jauja, the favorite heladeria of a few people here including myself, sells some good beer from El Bolson.
http://www.heladosja.../sucursales.php

Thanks alot lads.

Some great tips!

Just got back from 3 weeks in Patagonia - They can brew some really good beer in Argentina - I just cant believe that there is not a mass market for this good local product in BA. Lacar and Blest were two fantastic beers I tried.

That being said, alot of the cervecerias down there did not seem to know how to market or move beer off the shelves. Just little things like buying cases or six packs or sample packs was not possible. They think too small imo.

I just shake my head when I see people sucking down Quilmes in so called bars and pubs from retornable bottles.

A bar in BA that had 4 or 5 Patagonian beers on tap with a good bar atmosphere would be cleaning me out every weekend I think.
A friend and I joke about opening such a bar - the risk and logistics seems high though, especially in a country I dont understand. Just getting the product here would be a risky hassle.

Back