Buenos Aires Changing

It still looks good inside, but the facade is admittedly drab.

Well I disgree. There is junky decoration all over the place, depressing dark red paint. Genrally run down and dreary. If it were restored it would be spectacular. Completely boring menu could be improved too.

Next week I return for the first time in 3 1/2 years. I'm curious to see what has changed and what not.

As the OP I should have said that I came here the first time in 1962 as a cadet on a ship. I have been returning since then on a regular basis, but seldom staying here more than four months at a time. I bought this apartment in 1985. I am happy here in the good times and the bad. Perfection does not exist anywhere, but this is not bad.
When I spoke of sidewalks, that is hard to evaluate, but I remember a time when nothing was done for about a decade. No construction or repairs anywhere. Now at least I see work being done. Argentina's biggest problem is the economy. But it is a lot better than Zimbabwe!

there has to be something like 10,000 restaurants in BsAs. "most" would mean 51%- 5000 tourist traps?

"most" of the restaurants I eat at have nobody speaking english, or french, or german in them.
maybe they are trapping tourists from Mendoza?

Yes, the restaurants across from Recoleta Cemetery have become tourist traps. But its only 3 blocks to Rodi Bar.

Is kentucky a tourist trap? because it seems to be spreading like a disease these days.

Well, if you took a minute to actually act as a local as you say you do, you would take a quick look at Guía Oleo and see that your dear Kentucky has become a trap even for locals. At least that's what most comments say, i.e.:

"Para lo que era hace unos tres años, la calidad decayó notablemente y los precios subieron mucho. Muzzarela sin sabor, provolone escasísimo. El lugar desde las refornas es un hibrido horrible (antes era más pizzería de barrio) y el servicio me pareció un poco desmotivado. Triste, era un muy muy buen lugar. No volvería."

Well, if you took a minute to actually act as a local as you say you do, you would take a quick look at Guía Oleo and see that your dear Kentucky has become a trap even for locals. At least that's what most comments say, i.e.:

"Para lo que era hace unos tres años, la calidad decayó notablemente y los precios subieron mucho. Muzzarela sin sabor, provolone escasísimo. El lugar desde las refornas es un hibrido horrible (antes era más pizzería de barrio) y el servicio me pareció un poco desmotivado. Triste, era un muy muy buen lugar. No volvería."

I dont eat at Kentucky.
I much prefer La Mezetta.

but what, exactly, is a "trap"?
a crummy restaurant?
if so, its easy enough to just walk out.

I consider a tourist trap to be a restaurant that is overpriced, with bad food, menus in english, and gristly bife de lomo.

And there are literally thousands of restaurants in BsAs that are not like that.
But hey, eat where you want.

Also- I do not "eat as a local".
I eat the best food I can find, where ever I may be. But I also like spicy, I like real sushi, I like a bunch of things that locals wouldnt consider. I eat like me. I am way to old to change that now.

I dont eat at Kentucky.
I much prefer La Mezetta.

but what, exactly, is a "trap"?
a crummy restaurant?
if so, its easy enough to just walk out.

I consider a tourist trap to be a restaurant that is overpriced, with bad food, menus in english, and gristly bife de lomo.

And there are literally thousands of restaurants in BsAs that are not like that.
But hey, eat where you want.

Also- I do not "eat as a local".
I eat the best food I can find, where ever I may be. But I also like spicy, I like real sushi, I like a bunch of things that locals wouldnt consider. I eat like me. I am way to old to change that now.

Achtundzwanzig ist zu alt?

I was born in 1955, dude.

(but I'm flattered you think I look that young)

As the OP I should have said that I came here the first time in 1962 as a cadet on a ship. I have been returning since then on a regular basis, but seldom staying here more than four months at a time. I bought this apartment in 1985. I am happy here in the good times and the bad. Perfection does not exist anywhere, but this is not bad.
When I spoke of sidewalks, that is hard to evaluate, but I remember a time when nothing was done for about a decade. No construction or repairs anywhere. Now at least I see work being done. Argentina's biggest problem is the economy. But it is a lot better than Zimbabwe!

Hey Folks,
I'm happy that the OP took the time to give us his long-term perspective. For me it's quite interesting, rare, refreshing and valuable. Keeps our little 'short-term' quibbles and complaints in perspective...and it's worthy of our respect! It's not often we get this kind of historical view from non-Argentinos.
Thanks CaptainMCD!!
- Jim

I like your statement about "perfection." I, too, remember the years when nothing was done or repaired in the city; that mayor is long gone, and I don't recall his name. He accomplished nothing.

What a difference with Mayor Macri and his team. Rome wasn't built in a day, and we won't walk the streets of Buenos Aires free of garbage for a long time. I expect to see clean streets in my lifetime.

I had a long conversation with my neighbor about the garbage situation and the new containers on our street because people are still leaving their garbage on the sidewalk or at the corner when we have containers in place. I'm more aware of the situation than most, so I picked up bags of garbage and put them in the containers. I find it hard to believe that people won't cross the street to use a container, but we know that OLD HABITS DIE HARD.

We're having a consorcio meeting on Wednesday, so I gave my neighbor a pamphlet about the recycling program that's been in place for at least six years. He asked why no one told him about it; he is willing to participate. Then I reminded him about conversations I had with him and his wife over the years about saving the garbage for a week to fill the bags, respecting the hours, etc. It's a habit in the city that won't be easy to change, but it's possible. People need information, and one-on-one is the best way. The city government is doing their best to inform people about the programs; if people don't want to know, that's everybody's problem. The mess will continue. Who wants to feed the rats in the streets?

I'll end now so I can go outside and talk with the neighbors so they will start using the containers and our nearby Punto Verde.

Back