Buenos Aires Changing

The sidewalks in NJ are paved with gold. Just ask the fat lard ass governor.
Not a fan of Chris Christie myself, but compared to Macri, Kretina Botox and Scioli, he's a saint and runs the state with the 3rd highest per capita income in the nation.

Not a fan of Chris Christie myself, but compared to Macri, Kretina Botox and Scioli, he's a saint and runs the state with the 3rd highest per capita income in the nation.
The per cap income in NJ has nothing to do Christie and everything to do with proximity and location. Christie is just a parasite thug left over from the mafia days.

Well, yeah, but guys like Jeb, Rubio, Scott Walker, and Rand Paul couldn't say that with a straight face. The rest of the R's are even worse.
Maybe I don't agree with the ideals and various political platforms of any of these people, nor do I support Chris Christie, however, the quality of life here is excellent, compared to Argentina. The subways work and are modern, no strikes, blackouts, tax increases or other cataclysmic events in the 9 months I've been back. Healthy food is cheap and plentiful, as are nice clothes and home furnishings. There is something for every budget. I furnished my apartment all from a 2nd hand store and for $1,000 I bought everything including a new bed. In 3 weeks, I had rented an apartment, leased a car, and a full time job. There are buildings under construction everywhere, everyone I know has a job, health insurance and those who have kids are in school. My best friend just got a 30 year fixed rate mortgage at 3.25% with 10% down. I know the US has its problems, but I personally feel that there is no match to the quality of life and possibilities available to your average citizen who is willing to work hard and build a life for themselves in the US. I truly hope there is immigration reform because every human being deserves the right to better their situation and be part of a system that helps the citizens help themselves. I will always love Argentina and will visit from time to time, culturally its very rich and the scenery is beautiful. However the country has deep deep political and emotional scars that wont be healed in my lifetime.

Maybe I don't agree with the ideals and various political platforms of any of these people, nor do I support Chris Christie, however, the quality of life here is excellent, compared to Argentina. The subways work and are modern, no strikes, blackouts, tax increases or other cataclysmic events in the 9 months I've been back. Healthy food is cheap and plentiful, as are nice clothes and home furnishings. There is something for every budget. I furnished my apartment all from a 2nd hand store and for $1,000 I bought everything including a new bed. In 3 weeks, I had rented an apartment, leased a car, and a full time job. There are buildings under construction everywhere, everyone I know has a job, health insurance and those who have kids are in school. My best friend just got a 30 year fixed rate mortgage at 3.25% with 10% down. I know the US has its problems, but I personally feel that there is no match to the quality of life and possibilities available to your average citizen who is willing to work hard and build a life for themselves in the US. I truly hope there is immigration reform because every human being deserves the right to better their situation and be part of a system that helps the citizens help themselves. I will always love Argentina and will visit from time to time, culturally its very rich and the scenery is beautiful. However the country has deep deep political and emotional scars that wont be healed in my lifetime.

I agree with you on most of these points but, when the R's get their way, they're just as bad as the Peronists. Unlike the Peronists, though, they make no attempt to hide their disdain for the public.

But I thought that Obama had ruined the country? Are you seriously saying that he hasn't turned it into a communist dictatorship?

Of course I'm being sarcastic, just a retort to various posters on here who adopt Obama hate as their raison d'être.

I have been away from here almost two years. I am sitting on my balcony pondering what has changed.
The streets are quieter, especially the collectivos. The sidewalks are slowly improving, but still need a lot of work.
The prices are about the same in dollars, but wine is still a bargain, no matter how large the local currency fluctuations.
I bought this place about 25 years ago, when the Austral was suffering from inflation and everyone wanted dollars. That has not changed.
However I was not happy with sloppy wiring and plumbing and that is improving, and codes are being enforced better than before.
Calle Florida has really gone down hill! What was once a tourist showcase is really a mess. I am ashamed to take my friends there.
The City Tour bus is very good, a great idea!

Yes, I have been around almost as long as you and I agree Florida is a disaster. It has gone right down the drain. The restaurant strip in front of the Recoleta Cemetery also used to be the premier dining area but it too has gone to hell with the exception of La Biela and Munich.

As a dog lover, I find it encouraging that more and more Porteños are carrying plastic bags to clean up the soretes. Certainly it's not a majority, but it's definitely more common. I always carry a couple extra bags in my daypack and, if I see someone letting his dog defecate on the sidewalk, I hand him one with the admonition "Se te cayó algo."
Yes, portenos are embracing the future in the dog turd department. Even in Flores, people are starting to scoop the poop. They look a little embarrassed about it, as if they expect someone to yell: 'put that down!' But they are definitely catching on.

come to San Telmo if you think things improved: every single m2 full with dogshit, all street are filthy, lots of boutiques with in China produced horrible souvenirs for dummy tourists and not a single good supermarket or medical centre in the whole n'hood.
Probably the restaurant Desnivel in Defensa summarises this decline: it's huge now, it serves mainly for tourists and the service and food are terrible.

Back