Cacerolazo (April)

When I was physically (as in being in my own body) outside the Quinta last night, the visuals looked pretty real to me unless I'd been slipped a Mickey Finn when i wasn't looking.

TV Pública interviewed random people with a "CFK Chorra" pancarta in view for most of the time. Did any of the other networks do similar live interviews?

I saw interviews on most of the channels i think, there were definitely people doing interviews outside congreso.

"We almost feel sorry for them..."

Please, spare us your misplaced sympathies.

I suspect you clearly understand concept of solidarity, consensus building and maintaining momentum towards this years election, but will farcically argue that because two million didnt sit in a committe and draw up a list of objectives that fit within your narrow definition of reasons for legitimate protest, you will write them off with one blythe "you are doing it wrong". Staggering.

I have a relative who last night was out clutching his copy of the constitution, as a senator he worked redrafting it in 1994 in a lengthy consultative process. He sees serious changes to the judiciary, they are unconstitutional, ...but sure according to you he should just suck it up and wait for an election. Breathtaking.

"Most likely win again"...aspirational rather than fact. Based on what I would ask? Pagina 12 opinion polls? Chats with your pals?

"Investigate corruption?"...well, strangely enough we see it as increasingly unlikely she will investigate corruption (multi million dollar illegal expatriation of funds) of which she and her family/cronies are suspected of.We see smoke, we want an investigation. Kind of unlikely though, although god forbid a citizen speak out publically against her as she'll use the state tax agency as a tool for settling personal vendettas.

"Kill hersel"...wow. Thats where we're at in terms of a debate. You can find somebody elses mouth to put those words into thanks all the same.

170 pesos...another straw man as you attempt to smear the opposition. That is not what this protest was about. Has any opposition polotician (macri for example) currently campaigned ahainst this? No. It's just another bogey man constructed by the K apparatchik.

"A lot of argentines really want it reformed.."

Where are your figures for those who support the current removal of the independence of the judiciary? Is this based on a govt sponsored chat in the C5N canteen? I see millions on the street last night who do not want the removal of independence of judiciary. It's unconstitutional. I believe that people will gladly consult on reforms, but suggest that constitutional reform merits some form of public consultation. This govt was not given an mandate to reform the constitution.

As for Christina 2015...well, that kite has been flown by people in the party. Let's wait and see in 2015.

Anti monopoly legislation...i would argue that people want to protect free and independent media rather than hand over control of the media to the current administration. Perhaps your ok with the govt controlling what can be said in press by economists, what adverts papers can run about supermarket prices and having a govt monopoly on the printing press? A fine film maker it is that supports govt interference in the free and independent judiciary and media.

I am aghast that someone could be so dismissive of the citizens of a country protesting to protect their constitution and the freedom of media and independence of judiciary. I will read your response with interest, but in the interests of my blood pressure and the usefulness of the rest of my day lets agree to disagree...in the strongest terms.

Simply EXCELLENT! You have voiced what the masses are wanting to express. Marvelous reply. THANK YOU!

I saw interviews on most of the channels i think, there were definitely people doing interviews outside congreso.

I did a lot of channel surfing last night - can't say I saw any live interviews apart from Canal 7 and Tony from DDD (who had an interesting reunion with a gentleman who apparently had threatened him with a hammer in a previous cacerolazo), certainly this has been the pattern with previous cacerolazos.

According to La Nacion, the opposition are are at least thinking of putting up a united front, but are wondering how far they can take it.
It's surely not rocket science that they unite.

No, it will be far more complicated than rocket science if everyone wants to be leader as evidenced in the last elections.

Let's not even go into which of the rogue's gallery of shady provincial power brokers they graft onto their movment to give themselves traction federally somehow without compromising what they stand for.

I did a lot of channel surfing last night - can't say I saw any live interviews apart from Canal 7 and Tony from DDD (who had an interesting reunion with a gentleman who apparently had threatened him with a hammer in a previous cacerolazo), certainly this has been the pattern with previous cacerolazos.

This was the case last time, as well. There are always interviews, but none of them are as live and random as they are on Canal 7. I wasn't able to stay home and watch TV last night.

And of course, there's a reason why C7 goes out and TN just shows a live image with some notero babbling away about what they "see and hear."

It's ridiculously difficult to be an informed person in this country. To really have an idea of what's going on, you'd probably have to spend 3 or 4 hours reading articles from all the papers in the country. Every single one of them tells half truths. You'll never hear about anything that's politically inconvenient for all of the major parties. For example, everyone has heard of Ciccone, but how many people have heard of Boldt? Heh.

TN doesn't do live interviews because they know that the people will likely come across as ignorant, and this makes it very difficult to control the narrative.

Canal 7 does the interviews because it works to their advantage to show these people flapping their jaws and regurgitating lies and misinformation that they read in La Nación or Clarín. This happened numerous times in November. People would tell Cynthia García that they are not afraid of Cristina, which was a blatant manipulation of the facts as CFK never said that the people had to fear her. One woman complained about the lack of "libertad jurídica" in the country, and when García asked her what "judicial/legal security/freedom" meant, she had no idea.

Journalists in this country don't do the journalism that I was taught when I studied at university. They are political activists who masquerade as journalists.

"Journalists in this country don't do the journalism that I know. They are political activists. It's not the kind of journalism that I was taught when I studied at university, and it's certainly not the kind that I advocate for."

How right you are Bradley ! Its bizzare how political debate in this country is the preserve of journos going on about their own "professionalism" ... give me a parliamentary system where the bickering is between politicians any day

It's ridiculously difficult to be an informed person in this country. To really have an idea of what's going on, you'd probably have to spend 3 or 4 hours reading articles from all the papers in the country. Every single one of them tells half truths.

Never a truer word said on these pages. Is it any wonder that so many people just opt out and choose a side?

I think this and the dysfunctional judicial system are the two greatest problems in Argentina - if people can't arrive at what is a semblance of the truth then they will never be able to be informed enough to learn from the mistakes of the past and reach a consensus moving forward.

Back