Cacerolazo (April)

A fine film maker it is that supports govt interference in the free and independent judiciary and media.

Hang on.... She's a film maker, she can view these events any way she wants. Does supporting media monopolies and a corrupt and inefficient judicial system make for a good film maker?

Judicial reform - I'll freely admit I don't understand the full ramifications of the reforms - but I found bajo cero's comments on the benefits of the reforms very Interesting, especially given that he's a lawyer working in a relevant field and believes his ability to use the law in service of the people will be improved through the implementation of these laws.
http://baexpats.org/topic/25747-is-a-violent-insurrection-ever-morally-defensible/page__st__20

Monopolies do not make for a health media, arts or culture scene. Whilst it smacks of political interference to dismantle a hostile media bloc, the fact remains that media monopolies are not a characteristic of a healthy democracy.

Personally I don't have a problem that the protests incorporated a number of complaints. It provides the potential basis of a new political platform. Single issue protests are great for raising awareness, but the message I took away from the march was a rejection of a culture of corruption, unwarranted political interference and arrogance.

Much of the criticism of the protest seems to be that it had more politicians this time round, and less people. This seems a strange criticism, given that an important objective of public protest is to transform popular discontent into a political agenda to be actioned.

I'd be interested to hear Montauk (or anyone else's) opinions on the Occupy movement - another form of protest criticised for its lack of a clear agenda.

According to La Nacion, the opposition are are at least thinking of putting up a united front, but are wondering how far they can take it.
It's surely not rocket science that they unite.

I get the visual impact. I was talking more as an activist with a long history of particpating in US politics and Argentine polictics. Anywhere in the world, when you protest you should have clear demands if you want to make an impact.
I don´t see the clear demands.

I think the demands are quite clear, Control inflation, Reduce Crime, Stop corruption.
I wouldn't expect many of the crowd to have the answers on how to control inflation, that is the job of the government and the people are letting them know they are not doing their job.

In all this, where are the opposition???

TV Pública interviewed random people with a "CFK Chorra" pancarta in view for most of the time. Did any of the other networks do similar live interviews?

According to La Nacion, the opposition are are at least thinking of putting up a united front, but are wondering how far they can take it.
It's surely not rocket science that they unite.

One of the problems of Argentine politics is the fragmentation of its politics except, of course, for Peronism. That's why Peronism has been able to dominate civic discourse, such as it is.

It was hilarious watching the different coverage on canal 7 and TN. One looked like a small after-work gathering and the other looked like the biggest rally you've ever seen. Fancy manipulation of the visuals.

It was hilarious watching the different coverage on canal 7 and TN. One looked like a small after-work gathering and the other looked like the biggest rally you've ever seen. Fancy manipulation of the visuals.

Manipulation is what both do best. Journalism is in a sorry, sorry state in this country.

There is a fatal flaw in this culture and the way they view leadership (and I don't say this from a position of arrogance, since my own culture has the wrong view of leadership as well). People in Argentina believe that if they do not have someone to tell them what to do, then they won't know what to do. This is oversimplifying it, I know. But the leaders that emerge believe their job is to tell everyone what to do, and they come into being because this is the way everyone thinks. Leadership, for an Argentine, is someone totally authoritarian. Is it any surprise that someone like Cristina emerged, who believes that her role as leader is to tell everyone what to do? And that no one has the right to question her?

Instead of looking for leadership that is simply authoritarian, Argentines need to start looking around at the people that are already true leaders, because of their integrity and moral fiber. These are people that many already want to follow, because they have such remarkable character. These individuals do exist by the way.

Just a quick thought.

Back