Cacerolazo (April)

Reflecting on Thursday night's cacerolazo, I'm reminded of the state security that was present near the Quinta.
Naturally, being the residence of the President, one would expect an appropriate amount of security at this location.
This is the third cacerolazo I've been to now.
September was lukewarm with just a few policemen and the odd plain clothes spook.
November was the full monty with a much more visible police and spook presence.
Thursday was a very different affair with what seemed every possible branch of security present.
We walked past several DPM'd military trucks with similarly attired 'soldiers' looking very scary. They even had jungle paint on their faces.
There was also a very high level of 'spooks', ie blokes in identical black suits with ear pieces.
What struck me more than anything was when I made eye contact with some of these characters.
It was a disconcerting feeling, to say the very least and a feeling probably more paramount I took away with me than any other.
Intimidating is the only word I can come up with for now.

Reflecting on Thursday night's cacerolazo, I'm reminded of the state security that was present near the Quinta.
Naturally, being the residence of the President, one would expect an appropriate amount of security at this location.
September was lukewarm with just a few policemen and the odd plain clothes spook.
Thursday was a very different affair with what seemed every possible branch of security present.
We walked past several DPM'd military trucks with similarly attired 'soldiers' looking very scary. They even had jungle paint on their faces.
There was also a very high level of 'spooks', ie blokes in identical black suits with ear pieces.
What struck me more than anything was when I made eye contact with some of these characters.
It was a disconcerting feeling, to say the very least and a feeling probably more paramount I took away with me than any other.
Very interesting post! This is definitely not a good sign.

Some signs were really elaborate, lol

554609_10201111075726022_134825443_n.jpg

The paramilitaries in DPM's and painted scary faces were with GAM, whatever that is.
They seemed very special forces to me.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.....!!!! :cool: :cool: :rolleyes: fresh new ideas for young political groups.

600x0_655361.jpg

I noticed those guys too. Kinda reminded me of secret service. State security of some kind. They were the jefe , with comms , and in charge of their sectors. I started looking for camera's , and was thinking of facial recognizing software. Some police were in full riot gear , and saw the painted face guys too. No more security than a NFL game though.

They'd obviously stepped up security as you also noticed.
I was tempted to snap a pic or two of them, but for some technical reason my camera refused to operate. ;)

I noticed those guys too. Kinda reminded me of secret service. State security of some kind. They were the jefe , with comms , and in charge of their sectors. I started looking for camera's , and was thinking of facial recognizing software. Some police were in full riot gear , and saw the painted face guys too. No more security than a NFL game though.

As long as they weren't taking pictures, putting your name on a list and then using that list for things like work etc...

see the Tascon list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasc%C3%B3n_List
http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~emiguel/pdfs/miguel_maisanta.pdf

I know I live in another country, and people may well think I'm talking out od my right cheek, but before anyone get's too worried having the spooks there is SOP (standard operating procedure), its pretty standard in all countries, plus you had La Presidenta grace you with her presence...said tongue in cheek.

Anyone who has been involved in demos would have seen them.They are not the most plesant people, lets just say I have numerous past experiences of them in the UK, and part of their role is to intimidate. But ususally their primary role is to look for 'known people or groups', and somehow I don't get the feeling that the posters who frequent this site would be on their radar. The thing that scares the state these days are events like Boston, therefore security is paramount, I think you know what's I'm getting at......hence security overload. Given that this particular demo took place soon after the above event, well I don't think you need to be mastermind to work things out. We live in a very small world.

I am well aware that Argentina does not have the best record in an historical sense of affording the masses the right of protest, but I feel times have changed! I paid qiute a few visits the the Paza de Mayo during my all too brief visit there, but I have to say I was genuinely impressed in the way protests are conducted, and the reaction of officialdom to them. You guys have come along way from the time when you didn't have to be part of a protest to disappear into thin air! You only had to go get the daily paper or walk to school for that to happen.

So, keep up the good fight lads and ladetts :) and power to the people!

Back