CFK, Inc. Wants Foreigners and 16-Year-Olds to Vote

ElQueso said:
I don't want to get into a discussion, personally, about who should vote and who shouldn't - as far as citizens go. One thing I don't mind saying, I don't believe that people who are ineligible for military, going to jail, or even to drink, are necessarily ready to vote..

Thank you -- I agree, and will take this moment to say that anyone (JugoMoyano) who disagreed with my post probably thought my objections were to the perm residents -- but if you see in my post I put emphasis on the 2 million minors.

scotttswan said:
Are they not wanting to do away with voting pages and just use cards?

Yeah, I was one of the last to get a booklet. I got both the booklet and the card. Everyone I know of since only gets the card.

solerboy said:
Never heard the phrase "No taxation without representation" ?

As far as that goes - again, we are talking about residents. Residents who are not subject to the laws of the country in which they reside when they are no longer residing there. They have no permanent stake in the country because they are residents. They are free to leave if they don't like the way the country is going - that's the most personal representation right there. I don't want a bunch of permanent residents voting, giving them a decision as to how the country should be run. If they become citizens, I absolutely respect their right because they have decided to put a real stake in the game.

Citizens of a country are bound by the laws of that country no matter where they are, I do believe. I know that's certainly the case as a US citizen. You can't get away from it without renouncing your citizenship - and the right to vote.

But in this case, we're talking about here. Here, you can become a citizen in some cases easier than you can become a permanent resident, as far as fulfilling the requirements goes. Probably easier in many cases than even a temporary residency.

You want to vote here? At least go the extra little step and become a citizen. You can't claim that citizenship is blocked here like it is in the States, where becoming a permanent resident doesn't necessarily put you on the path to citizenship.

Only one primary reason for the Ks to allow permanent residents to vote here. If you think they are worried about fair representation for foreigners who live here as permanent residents, look around the political spectrum a little more here.

Bad idea. :mad:

This is shameless (and dangerous) vote manipulation. A county shouldn't put its future in the hands of self interested foreigners, nor in the hands of children. There is no need or benefit for the country as a whole.

Hopefully the Argentine people speak up and it gets struck down, but at this point I think Cristina is just doing whatever she wants regardless of popular opinion. As long as she has enough useful innocents... :rolleyes:

It's more than obvious that this is just a ploy to get more votes, just as allowing millions of mostly uneducated people into the country was a way of getting them on the path to citizenship and pro Kirchner votes. Argentina has always lacked a balance of power. This is characteristic of "developing" countries where the power invariably tilts toward the Executive. In this case the tilt, especially for a country like Argentina with a relatively high cultural level and vast resources, is totally inexcusable. We are seeing the rapid erosion of individual rights, the deterioration of the nation in terms of its historic identity with a resultant drop in educational levels as well as the diminution and marginalization of the middle class. The pace of the decline is shocking.

All of the above noted, this is clearly a ploy to round up more votes for CFK, or her designated successor. Any other reading of it is pollyanna horse hockey.

The irony is that very little of this would be happening if the much maligned Nestor was still alive. Agree, or disagree, with much of what he was doing, he wouldn't have turned his administration over to the pack of rabid, anything goes, neo-Marxist juveniles from Campora.

And, there is so much more, including the astonishing lightweight Timerman creating problems where none exist with Uruguay.

And, all of my opinions expressed as a distinctly left of center guy.:eek:

It would be truly worrying if CFK went for a third term.
I wonder what the chances are that she will try a Menem?

It doesn't matter whether its a good thing or a bad thing for the country. I am worried about standing in the damn line for hours just to vote for "no one". I wouldn't be so worried if this country was a little more advanced and knew how to keep the line going.

On the note of getting residents to vote though, does anyone think they might make obtaining the citizenship here easier (its already pretty easy on paper but I mean making it easier in practice)?

Gringoboy said:
It would be truly worrying if CFK went for a third term.
I wonder what the chances are that she will try a Menem?

It would be worrying but I don't think anything is going to change whether she goes for the third term or not. Its what her party stands for that needs to change. Even if she is replaced, someone else will take on the duty of "Cuba-fying" this country.

Back