CFK, Inc. Wants Foreigners and 16-Year-Olds to Vote

Gringoboy said:
It would be truly worrying if CFK went for a third term.
I wonder what the chances are that she will try a Menem?

maybe she'll try something like Russia and become "prime minister" of Argentina whilst a puppet becomes president. :(

Seeking 3rd term will mean having to get a consitutional reform. Even with all her power I don't think this would go through, messy long process. She and Nestor didn't think of trying to do it before, their plan was back and forth between them, and I assume because getting a reform pushed through will be too much work.

Some say Maximo will be figurehead and Cristina the puppet master. If so we really are on the path to disaster

I think she is one of the few people in the FPV who doesn't want to see a third term happen - Alicia's name is being bandied about, I don't think she'd want the job either but she has the advantage of looking like Nestor with a wig on. Maybe she can take some tips from the baby Alfonsin on the art of resurrection through imitation.

Although there are pages to record voting history in the DNI booklets magraciones never said anything about voting to anyone I know who ever renewed a temoprary or asked for the cambio de categoria to permanent.

Perhaps the voting law which applies to foreigners in BA only applies to permanent residents? I left CF shortly after getting permanent residency so I never had the chance to vote.

Has anyone here with permanent residency actually voted? Does anyone with permanent residency know the consequences for not voting in BA city elections? I don't recall anyone ever posting reminders for expats to vote or anything negative about not voting.

Here's what I read on wikipedia:

Argentina

Article 61 of the Constitution of the city of Buenos Aires states that "Suffrage is free, equal, secret, universal, compulsory and not accumulative. The foreign residents enjoy this right, with the correlative obligations, on equal terms with Argentine citizens registered in this district, in the terms established by the law."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote#Argentina

From what I was told when I received my permanent visa eight years ago, foreigners have the right to vote in local elections if they so desire, solely an option, not an obligation.

I think you need permanent residency and evidence of living in Argentina for three years prior to the election (if not DNI then bills, rental agreements etc) - you would then have to register to appear on the padron.

steveinbsas said:
Although there are pages to record voting history in the DNI booklets magraciones never said anything about voting to anyone I know who ever renewed a temoprary or asked for the cambio de categoria to permanent.

Perhaps the voting law which applies to foreigners in BA only applies to permanent residents? I left CF shortly after getting permanent residency so I never had the chance to vote.

Has anyone here with permanent residency actually voted? Does anyone with permanent residency know the consequences for not voting in BA city elections? I don't recall anyone ever posting reminders for expats to vote or anything negative about not voting.

Here's what I read on wikipedia:

Argentina

Article 61 of the Constitution of the city of Buenos Aires states that "Suffrage is free, equal, secret, universal, compulsory and not accumulative. The foreign residents enjoy this right, with the correlative obligations, on equal terms with Argentine citizens registered in this district, in the terms established by the law."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote#Argentina

Steve, I think now they're trying to pass a new law making it possible (obligatory?) for foreigners to vote in the national elections, not just the city ones.

I am permanent and I never heard of a permanent resident voting. I don't think there is anything to that at present.

I would like to take friendly exception to one statement here--that all citizens are responsible to the country of their citizenship, no matter where they are in the world. If anyone has solid knowledge that I am wrong I hope you will correct me. I am under the impression that the US is the only country in the world that claims to own and tax their citizens once they leave the country. I am in touch with citizens of several countries through my web site and none are under obligation to the country of their citizenship once they leave. Some, in fact, have as many as 5 passports to different countries. If they had to answer to that many countries, they'd be schizophrenic, I think. In fact, statistically every year there is an increasing number getting a second passport and then renouncing U.S. citizenship to get out from under the US perceived ownership. I do think the U.S. is unique in their claims on their citizens.

arlean said:
I am permanent and I never heard of a permanent resident voting. I don't think there is anything to that at present.

I would like to take friendly exception to one statement here--that all citizens are responsible to the country of their citizenship, no matter where they are in the world. If anyone has solid knowledge that I am wrong I hope you will correct me. I am under the impression that the US is the only country in the world that claims to own and tax their citizens once they leave the country. I am in touch with citizens of several countries through my web site and none are under obligation to the country of their citizenship once they leave. Some, in fact, have as many as 5 passports to different countries. If they had to answer to that many countries, they'd be schizophrenic, I think. In fact, statistically every year there is an increasing number getting a second passport and then renouncing U.S. citizenship to get out from under the US perceived ownership. I do think the U.S. is unique in their claims on their citizens.

As far as I know there are very few UK laws which relate to UK subjects abroad. The only ones I can think of are this relating to sex with a minor.

arlean said:

I don't think the only way to be responsible to your country of citizenship is by paying taxes. For example, the embassy of the UK in Abu Dhabi released statements from time to time reminding their citizens to respect the local culture as they were representatives of the UK. I think every government in the world expects that in one way or another.

Its a fact that US tax laws are stricter than any other developed country (American expats are exempt from paying taxes on the first US$91,000 or so) but like I said, there are plenty of other things that countries worry about. Tax is not all encompassing.

As for people renouncing US citizenship. I don't know how you meant it but the figures are as follows for 2011:

Number of people renouncing their US citizenship and green cards: 1,800
http://articles.businessinsider.com..._tax-filing-citizenship-last-year-green-cards (I couldn't find any government source for this so if someone can find it that'd be great).

Number of people obtaining US citizenship: 694,193
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/natz_fr_2011.pdf

Renouncing US citizenship made headlines this year because of Severin of Facebook giving up his citizenship for tax purporses. As with anything else (like end times prophecies or some such crap), when someone popular or high profile says something or takes an action of some sort, people think the whole world is doing the same thing (not saying that's what you're doing Arlean, it has just come up a little too much lately).

It is a fact though that the number of people renouncing their US citizenship or residency increased in 2011 from 2010, but then the number of people applying for citizenship also increased in 2011 from 2010.

It might just be a cycle, essentially not a big deal.

Back