Changes for "permatourists"

Here's a hypothetical :) Imagine you are in the process of getting divorced and it will take up to 12 months (or a bit more) to finalize - imagine also that your Argentinian girlfriend is doing the same - so it means you won't be able to get married for about 12 months or so... Now you have a job to go to in Argentina where they are prepared to employ you on your tourist visa - and you fully intend to 'go legal' as soon as you can get married and get your residency (and eventual citizenship) through marriage to your girlfriend...

Now - considering all the above - looking at this hypothetical situation - what would be the best way to proceed for such a person? Any takers?

Thanks in advance,

John :)

Johnno said:
Here's a hypothetical :) Imagine you are in the process of getting divorced and it will take up to 12 months (or a bit more) to finalize - imagine also that your Argentinian girlfriend is doing the same - so it means you won't be able to get married for about 12 months or so... Now you have a job to go to in Argentina where they are prepared to employ you on your tourist visa - and you fully intend to 'go legal' as soon as you can get married and get your residency (and eventual citizenship) through marriage to your girlfriend...

Now - considering all the above - looking at this hypothetical situation - what would be the best way to proceed for such a person? Any takers?
pay a lawyer to sort this out. don't expect everything to work out like you think it will right now.

Johnno said:

Thanks in advance,

John :)

I'd wait patiently one year on the tourist visa. Why bother losing time and money to file for a residencia temporaria when you will get automatically permanent residentship once married.
Nevertheless, in your hypothetical situation, with two people getting divorced to marry each other, I'd consider a risk factor that one of the two could finally decide not to remarry ! But that's hypothetical as well... :rolleyes:

gunt86 said:
pay a lawyer to sort this out.

If your employer will help you get a work visa you won't have any trouble. If not, I don't see how a lawyer could help you.

French jurist said:
I'd wait patiently one year on the tourist visa. Why bother losing time and money to file for a residencia temporaria when you will get automatically permanent residentship once married.

If you can stay in Argentina (working or not) until you get married migraciones may not have the "option" to refuse your request for the permanent residency, even though you overstayed your tourist visa.

So say someone has many entry and exit stamps on their passport and they happen to lose their passport, will this essentially give them a clean slate?? I can't imagine they have a database with every entry/exit of every passport that enters Argentina. One, they always look through passports to check out the stamps. Sometimes they'll ask when is the last time you entered. If they had it on the computer, why would they ask? Two, when they scan a passport, its taking information from the bar code. The bar code just verifies the authenticity of the passport, plus holds all the information that is printed on the first page of your passport.

Would others agree or am I totally off base with this suggestion??

Vandalay said:
So say someone has many entry and exit stamps on their passport and they happen to lose their passport, will this essentially give them a clean slate?? I can't imagine they have a database with every entry/exit of every passport that enters Argentina. One, they always look through passports to check out the stamps. Sometimes they'll ask when is the last time you entered. If they had it on the computer, why would they ask? Two, when they scan a passport, its taking information from the bar code. The bar code just verifies the authenticity of the passport, plus holds all the information that is printed on the first page of your passport.

When I was on a tourist visa, i didn't leave the country for a couple of years, and my passport had expired. I just waited to renew it until a couple of months before I was planning to head out of the country. They didn't charge me the 50 pesos- which was the fee for overstaying back then. Also, the immigrations guy didn't even give me a second look when he put my passport in the computer, so I would ASSUME that they don't have a way to tie in your new passport number with your old one. (I just told them I lost my old one so they couldn't look at it.) I think the key is that your number on your new passport is different.

Vandalay said:

I strictly don't know how the information scanned is processed but I don't see why migraciones would'nt be able to track your entries/exits. Even with passports that still don't have barcodes, I presume it wouldn't be that hard to implement a recognition software and anyway, since they enter your name in the computer, you are easily identificable.

In the decreto too, it is an obligation for the ship or airline company to give to the migraciones a listing with all the passengers names.

Asking for a new passport would have very little influence, and if migraciones decide someday to enforce strictly the rules, I don't think it would be useful at all.

bsas said:
.. I think the key is that your number on your new passport is different.
People are tracked by name and date of birth. So it doesn't matter if you have a new passport or a passport from a different country.
But if you don't want to get legal, then give whatever scheme you wish a try. Who knows, it might work a few times before you get caught. As for getting caught, i have seen some pretty aggressive arrests at the airport for people who have some dubious immigration stuff going on. It's much more sensible to comply with the rules.

gunt86 said:
As for getting caught, i have seen some pretty aggressive arrests at the airport for people who have some dubious immigration stuff going on. It's much more sensible to comply with the rules.

recently ??!!

Back