Changes for "permatourists"

gunt86 said:
As for getting caught, i have seen some pretty aggressive arrests at the airport for people who have some dubious immigration stuff going on.

Here? In Argentina? Do you have any idea of the nationality of those who were detained?

Just on the issue of Passport Control. Yes, when they scan your Passport, it records on a database, entry and exit... So, getting a new passport will not fool anyone.

A few years back, I visited the US three times, as a tourist, three times in as many months. On the third occassion, without looking at the stamps in my passport, upon scanning, the Immigration Officer, said, "Welcome Back Mr. M...." - As I knew he hadn't seen me before, I actually asked him how he knew, and he pointed to the screen of his computer, and I could clearly see my record, showing my dates of entry to the US - It is a long list..... They use the same software, or very similar, system here in Argentina today, so records are kept.

Thanks for the answer. Are you sure of this or just speculation? I don't see how you could be arrested for "losing" a passport, as long as you were truthful with any additional questions they asked.

gunt86 said:
People are tracked by name and date of birth. So it doesn't matter if you have a new passport or a passport from a different country.
But if you don't want to get legal, then give whatever scheme you wish a try. Who knows, it might work a few times before you get caught. As for getting caught, i have seen some pretty aggressive arrests at the airport for people who have some dubious immigration stuff going on. It's much more sensible to comply with the rules.

Does the new law imply anything that would prevent a person who is overstaying their tourist visa from just simply paying the fine when leave Argentina?

What if the person is only staying for 340 days, as previously mentioned?

I have found some of the info here extremely helpful in working out what my game plan is - reading everything here I get the impression that I will be okay doing my first year on the tourist visa but that I should get a move with getting married to my lady as soon as possible and then applying for residency so that I am legal as soon as possible - or should I say that in this hypothetical situation I have described this would be the best way to proceed ? :)

Thanks to all - I guess I am going to be busy over the next year or so :)

I'm sure most (if not all) perma-tourists are wondering how soon and how aggressively the new decreto will be enforced. Bajo_cero has provided a great deal of useful information on the subject.

I edited the following post so that the most important points are clear.

Bajo_cero2 said:
The new decreto 616-2010 is valid since 7.7.2010.

The decreto 616-2010 is an administrative order from the President to the migration agency. This is not a law, is a decreto, only the Congress can create a law. The President in this decreto has changed the official policy 180 degrees. Last 10 years the policy was focus on the 5.000.000 illegal from border countries.

a) So now, the new policy is to focus on Non-Mercosur. They were able to manage 3.500.000 people in 10 years, it means they have the resources to deal with 350.000 people a year.

b) The agents have direct orders from the President about how to deal with permanenturist: 1) Reject entrance at the border 2) 30 days ultimatum.

c) The President gave to migration police powers. Now they can double check you don´t have any criminal record in any country through Interpol, they can go to your work to double check that you really work there (contract working visa), if they like they can google you and use your blog to prove that you are working here.

C2) They already have the resources for enforce this because they only need to give you the ultimatum at the border, its a paper and a clear order for the aduanero.

d) Don´t underestimate the efficiency they might have if they want. And about taxes they became extremely efficient, AFIP is increasing collecting at 38% per year. About 15 point over inflation.
http://www.afip.gov.ar/estudios/

I think it's important to note that all of this is the result of a decree by the President, not a new law.

I wonder who put this bee in her bonnet and if she has been fed information gleaned from this forum.

I find the words "police powers" most disturbing.

Now we just have to wait and see what actually happens at the borders.

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner is not known for having taken measures against foreigners, at the contrary I would say (gracias).

Maybe the context plays an important role :
- worldwide crisis
- other countries taking measures against immigrants
- need to clarify the legislation and have a discretionnary power to take adequate measures if needed
- need for getting more money from taxes

We still have not heard of horror stories so let's wait and see

http://www.clarin.com/mundo/estados_unidos/argentinas-presas-Miami-mentir-conseguir_0_316168450.html

With articles like this coming out in the press, it can't be good.

"Clarín pudo reconstruir el caso de las argentinas a través de distintas fuentes en Miami. Lo que hace doblemente triste la situación que vivieron es que fueron víctimas de una estafa. En Buenos Aires, una gestora que se presentó con el nombre de Nancy, les prometió ayudarlas a obtener las visas para poder ingresar a EE.UU. si pagaban 1.500 dólares. Las tres ya habían vivido aquí. Habían ingresado en el 2001, cuando todavía no existía la necesidad de tener un visa, y se establecieron en Miami, donde vivían sin papeles . Luego regresaron a la Argentina, pero al poco tiempo quisieron volver por distintas razones. Una de ellas tenía a su novio en EE.UU.; la otra tenía a su hija embarazada. Nancy les presentó una carpeta llena de formularios. Les explicó cómo había que llenarlos. Fundamentalmente les dijo que a la pregunta sobre si habían vivido antes en EE.UU. debían contestar que “no” ."

So, they were victims of a scam, but they themselves knowingly lied to the U.S. Consulate here by saying they had never lived in the U.S. previously. They got what was coming to them, in my opinion.

The point, though, is that these people are being portrayed as victims, which only drums up more support among Argentines for stricter immigration policies against U.S. citizens.

Back