Changes for "permatourists"

So immigrations doesn't have a database of each time you enter and leave the country, unless an officer manually flags you?? I heard different, but its quite possible the person who told me didn't know what they were talking about.

MizzMarr said:
Actually, as I understand it now they do scan the passport, but it doesn't actually enter anything into the system--maybe they're just verifying the barcode? Anything that goes into the migraciones database is entered by hand (as when I got "flagged" they manually entered my address, etc., and that is what ended up showing in the database--the ONLY other time that my name showed in the migraciones database was when I renewed my tourist visa at the migraciones offices).

MikeB12 said:
So immigrations doesn't have a database of each time you enter and leave the country, unless an officer manually flags you?? I heard different, but its quite possible the person who told me didn't know what they were talking about.
I know for a fact that the immigration officers at EZE currently are able to see your immigration status in their computer database after scanning your passport. It happened to me - in a good way.

gunt86 said:
I know for a fact that the immigration officers at EZE currently are able to see your immigration status in their computer database after scanning your passport. It happened to me - in a good way.

Would you mind elaborating on your experience? Do you have anything other than a tourist visa?

MizzMarr said:
I'm glad that the post was useful; however, you are assuming that I was here 4 years without pursuing legality. My story as posted was the nuts and bolts version, skipping any lengthy details of why or why not this hadn't happened sooner (which there are many details). Needless to say the laws changing and getting flagged at the border made me take getting legal fast seriously. ;) And yes, as I mentioned in my other post "losing" the passport every now and then is a tactic to keep the passport tidy and not overrun with stamps. However--it should be noted that my migraciones help told us that if you lose your passport "too often" (I'd assume more than once every two years) that gets flagged as suspicious.

Nope nope. You assumed I was referring to you, when in actuality I was referring to the ex-pat friends you mentioned in your post. You had mentioned something about them never even leaving Argentina to renew their visas after they had expired. :)

do you know if you are "an undocumented tourist" they still keep a record of your entries though?

gunt86 said:

I believe they scan our passports only because we all are extremely good looking . Even one time they scanned my passport and took more pictures of my face.

I have raised a few eyebrows when entering at EZE, but nothing ever said to my face. Many, many entry and exit stamps. Have never stayed more than two months in one visit and have not exceeded the 180 day limit in a year. I am more of a commuter in love/lust: AR girlfriend. Wonder what the brain trust of permatourists on this forum thinks of my situation. Still qualify as a tourist?

At EZE I always like to smile, stumble through some Spanish, and then ask if they have the papelito of a hooker I can meet at the gigante Telo on the way in from the airport. They forget all about checking my entry stamps because they're so excited about picking up a little commission on the ho'. (Everybody's a pimp.)

Never even been looked at with anything other than a wink and a knowing nod.

-bite me

PS- Some or all of the story above might be a fabrication. The humor above is the sole creation of the poster and in no way represents the views of the owners and operatores of BAexpats.org. Thank you for your patronage.

have not exceeded the 180 day limit in a year

Ok, so now I am confused, can someone please clarify. So my understanding is this: When you enter you get a 90-day tourist visa, which can be renewed "in country" once for an additional 90 days, or you can leave the country and return that day.

Once this 180 day period is up you can only renew by leaving the country. Correct?

Now the new "law/edict/ruling" seems to be clamping down on the fact that people after 180 days would make a afternoon trio to uruguay and return, as opposed to what the law technically says (or as exists in other countries) That you must be out of the country for a set period of time (is it 90 days, or 30 days), before returning for another 90 day tourist visa. Is this correct?

Next is it actually "illegal" to be in the country more than 180 days a year, assuming you conform with the above facts, or after 180 days you have to pay taxes.

so Ex. Person arrives January 1st, stays 90 days, renews at the migraciones office for another 90 days. On day 180 Person flies to...Bali, spends 100 days in Bali. Can he return to Argentina?

(the next question: 2 trains leave Buenos Aires each traveling 50km/hr. Train A is heading to Bariloche, Train B is headed to Montevideo. If both trains accelerate at a constant speed, and the trains are half full, it is a cloudy day and they each make 5 stops. What will people in the first class car of Train A be discussing? and How many empanadas will be consumed on Train B? Please show all work.

A&A said:
Ok, so now I am confused, can someone please clarify. So my understanding is this: When you enter you get a 90-day tourist visa, which can be renewed "in country" once for an additional 90 days, or you can leave the country and return that day.

Either is acceptable.

A&A said:
Once this 180 day period is up you can only renew by leaving the country. Correct?

Correct.

A&A said:
Now the new "law/edict/ruling" seems to be clamping down on the fact that people after 180 days would make a afternoon trio to uruguay and return, as opposed to what the law technically says (or as exists in other countries) That you must be out of the country for a set period of time (is it 90 days, or 30 days), before returning for another 90 day tourist visa. Is this correct?

We don't know yet.

A&A said:
Next is it actually "illegal" to be in the country more than 180 days a year, assuming you conform with the above facts, or after 180 days you have to pay taxes.

In general, the "laws" previously stipulated that a "tourist" can "stay" in Argentina 180 days per year and if the motive of the "stay" was not tourism a resident visa was "required" but this has not been strictly enforced. Only a few members of the forum posted that they were given 30 days to apply for residency or leave (usually after years of being a permatourist).

A&A said:
so Ex. Person arrives January 1st, stays 90 days, renews at the migraciones office for another 90 days. On day 180 Person flies to...Bali, spends 100 days in Bali. Can he return to Argentina?

Right now, probably. 100 days from now who knows?

A&A said:
(the next question: 2 trains leave Buenos Aires each traveling 50km/hr. Train A is heading to Bariloche, Train B is headed to Montevideo. If both trains accelerate at a constant speed, and the trains are half full, it is a cloudy day and they each make 5 stops. What will people in the first class car of Train A be discussing? and How many empanadas will be consumed on Train B? Please show all work.

That's easy.

The people on train A will be discussing the weather in Bariloche and the people on train B will consume ALL of the empanadas.

(I admit I cheated. I called migraciones for the answers, but if I call again later today and talk to someone else I'll probably get different answers.)

Reactions: A&A
Back