Changes for "permatourists"

Sleuth said:
What amount of savings would one need to qualify? Is it a year's worth, two years', ...? I have never heard of that as an option.
The investor visa...AR$1,500,000 .

Anyways, if any of you permatourits want to get legal, getting a rentista visa is a lot easier than it sounds. It can be done with some careful financial planning and structuring. If anyone is interested in exploring this, PM me.

Sleuth said:
Simply "wanting to live here" is not enough

Wrong! Misunderstanding of the Argentinian legal system and improper legal advice is the reason for going to Colonia.

You need 2 years of transitory residence for applying for permanent residence, then another 3 years for applying for the citizenship. I wonder, what happens if you stay all this years illegally? You can apply for Argentinian citizenship at a federal court.

"Artículo 14- Todos los habitantes de la Nación gozan de los siguientes derechos conforme a las leyes que reglamenten su ejercicio; a saber: De trabajar y ejercer toda industria lícita; de navegar y comerciar; de peticionar a las autoridades; de entrar, permanecer, transitar y salir del territorio argentino; de publicar sus ideas por la prensa sin censura previa; de usar y disponer de su propiedad; de asociarse con fines útiles; de profesar libremente su culto; de enseñar y aprender."

This is the Argentinian Constitutional law. But this is a juridic debate, and you can´t have this debate with a brainless migration agent with high school. So, that´s the reason why if you don´t full fit the law requirements you can go to a judge and explain that you full fit the Constitutional requirements.

As you can read, in this country you have rights if you are an inhabitant and you have the will to stay and live here, that´s what to be an inhabitant means juridically. Tourist means you want to come back to your country in a couple of days.

Resume: If you have the will to live here, you have the right to stay here.

Argentina had sign human right international pacts...

I have to go, I have a meeting, I´ll continue later.

Regards

I think immigration is a super complex issue and there is much more too it than just collecting taxes, especially from "perma-tourist" types that in the end may seem like a lot on this board, but is an infinitely small amount of people. (As opposed to say migrant workers from Bolivia et al.)

Until you have backpackers blowing up buildings, and vast hordes (I mean hordes) of US, Canadian, Euros doing the majority of manual labor, low paying jobs, i think the immigration policies will not be written with "perma-tourists" in mind.

How many do you really think there are? Now how many of those have these vast overseas treasure troves, or are in these lucrative careers that the government is trying to tap? Don't you think anyone with a well paying job would have the company they work for get them a visa? From what everyone has said on this board English teachers don't exactly make bank?

Yes, the law...blah blah blah. You've never sped in a car?

As one of my favorite quotes says: "If you like laws and you like sausages, never watch them being made" -Frederick the Great

Bajo_cero2 said:
Wrong! Misunderstanding of the Argentinian legal system and improper legal advice is the reason for going to Colonia.

You need 2 years of transitory residence for applying for permanent residence, then another 3 years for applying for the citizenship. I wonder, what happens if you stay all this years illegally? You can apply for Argentinian citizenship at a federal court.

"Artículo 14- Todos los habitantes de la Nación gozan de los siguientes derechos conforme a las leyes que reglamenten su ejercicio; a saber: De trabajar y ejercer toda industria lícita; de navegar y comerciar; de peticionar a las autoridades; de entrar, permanecer, transitar y salir del territorio argentino; de publicar sus ideas por la prensa sin censura previa; de usar y disponer de su propiedad; de asociarse con fines útiles; de profesar libremente su culto; de enseñar y aprender."

This is the Argentinian Constitutional law. But this is a juridic debate, and you can´t have this debate with a brainless migration agent with high school. So, that´s the reason why if you don´t full fit the law requirements you can go to a judge and explain that you full fit the Constitutional requirements.

As you can read, in this country you have rights if you are an inhabitant and you have the will to stay and live here, that´s what to be an inhabitant means juridically. Tourist means you want to come back to your country in a couple of days.

Resume: If you have the will to live here, you have the right to stay here.

Argentina had sign human right international pacts...

Interesting... I thought you needed a reason to stay - such as the fact that returning to your own country would put your life at risk. Then you could apply for amnesty.

Are you aware of anyone who has actually gone before a judge to request a simple residency? Specifically someone from the States who just wanted to live here?

Anyway, the new decreto entered into effect on july 6 or 7 and since then we have not heard of horror stories (decreto was published in the BO on may 6th, to enter into effect 60 days later).

gunt86 said:
The ARG gvmt is physically unable to collect taxes on the worldwide income current ARG citizens, why ever would the gvmt try to do similarly with the permatourists?

My accountant tells me that all of the income earned by a foreigner living in Argentina more than 180 days a year is subject to income tax in Argentina. As the visa rentista regulations stipulate that the applicant/visa holder reveals the source of the "declared" income (now $8000 pesos per month), the assets that generate the investment income are also subject to taxation.

That's probably worth going after, even if that's all AFIP knows about.

I am having a hard time understanding the issues in this post which is clearly just due to my own ignorance of Argentina immigration laws. I lived in Argentina for 6 months last year on a temporary residency visa because I was a student. I was planning on returning to Argentina in September to live there and hopefully work for like 9 months. I was planning on just renewing my tourist visa by making the Colonia trip every few months, but this new law is obviously altering/destroying that option. Could someone please explain what the implications of this law are for someone like me who is planning on trying to live and work in BA for like 9 months? And what my options are as far as trying to obtain a temporary residency visa of some kind?

I was under the impression that I could just try to get a job and then have my employer write me a letter which I could take to migraciones to facilitate the work visa process and I could just live there on a tourist visa. Is that not a viable plan any longer?

I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me on this issue. Thank you so much.

steveinbsas said:
My accountant tells me that all of the income earned by a foreigner living in Argentina more than 180 days a year is subject to income tax in Argentina. As the visa rentista regulations stipulate that the applicant/visa holder reveals the source of the "declared" income (now $8000 pesos per month), the assets that generate the investment income are also subject to taxation.

That's probably worth going after, even if that's all AFIP knows about.

Would agree with you Steve. Believe this is all about the Benjis: $$. Maybe they are laying the ground work for enforcement, which will become a big payday for the tax man: penalties/confiscation. It is always about the Benjis. Thanks

cait said:
I am having a hard time understanding the issues in this post which is clearly just due to my own ignorance of Argentina immigration laws. I lived in Argentina for 6 months last year on a temporary residency visa because I was a student. I was planning on returning to Argentina in September to live there and hopefully work for like 9 months. I was planning on just renewing my tourist visa by making the Colonia trip every few months, but this new law is obviously altering/destroying that option. Could someone please explain what the implications of this law are for someone like me who is planning on trying to live and work in BA for like 9 months? And what my options are as far as trying to obtain a temporary residency visa of some kind?

I was under the impression that I could just try to get a job and then have my employer write me a letter which I could take to migraciones to facilitate the work visa process and I could just live there on a tourist visa. Is that not a viable plan any longer?

I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me on this issue. Thank you so much.

Well, things have not changed a lot, what has changed his the Arg government attitude towards expatriates. This is noticable with the new regulations for the rentista visa, and for the "permatourists" as well although in this latter case, the new decreto seems more to be a clarification/reorganization that could eventually be the ground for a stronger enforcement in the (near ? distant ?) future.

As for working here, it may be a bit too much asking (unless you can work from home for a company based in your country).

Like bajo-cero said, if Argentina decides to hunt permatourists they will likely start with Americans and Spanish (reciprocity of the way Argentineans are treated in the respective countries). But who knows ?!

As of now, I'd say you can come but the situation might change, I don't know.

Anyway, with what's happening in this southern state of the US, if the 2000 Argentinean illegals are thrown out of the country in a short time, very likely here, one year away from the elections, Argentina would do the same for a bunch of US expatourists.

Political fiction ? You decide

Back