Changes for "permatourists"

Bajo_cero2 said:
Yes, there is one, a huge one.

We are debating about that here:
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10765-new-rentista-visa-requirements-6.html

Essentially, if you have a lot of stamps in your passport you may full fit the requirements for apply for citizenship.

Going to Colonia is a bad idea. Read the debate there.

Regards

What are the implications for your other citizenship? I read they only had "agreements" with a handful of countries. Other than those listed would you have to give up your citizenship?

mini said:
What are the implications for your other citizenship? I read they only had "agreements" with a handful of countries. Other than those listed would you have to give up your citizenship?
The issue of dual citizenship is specific to your non-argentina citizenship country. Most countries allow dual citizenship. Only a handfull of countries regard the taking of another country's citizenship as an act of renouncing the home country's citizenship (india for example). That list of countries which argentina has a 'citizenship agreement' with is of no importance whatsoever. Do your research on your home country's citizenship restrictions to find your answer. The Argentina gvmt cannot make you give up your home country's citizenship, that is only a power that your home country can do.

gunt86 said:
The issue of dual citizenship is specific to your non-argentina citizenship country. Most countries allow dual citizenship. Only a handfull of countries regard the taking of another country's citizenship as an act of renouncing the home country's citizenship (india for example). That list of countries which argentina has a 'citizenship agreement' with is of no importance whatsoever. Do your research on your home country's citizenship restrictions to find your answer. The Argentina gvmt cannot make you give up your home country's citizenship, that is only a power that your home country can do.

I have no intention of become an Argentine citizen. I was just curious with all this citizenship talk on this thread.

So, what's the point of citizen agreements then? Diplomats with nothing to do.... ;)

Does anyone know how this new decreto might affect someone who is trying to leave the country with an expired visa? Would the person simply pay the overstay fine, as has been the case previously?

mini said:
I have no intention of become an Argentine citizen. I was just curious with all this citizenship talk on this thread.

So, what's the point of citizen agreements then? Diplomats with nothing to do.... ;)

No, International Law is primitive. These agreements belong to a pre-human rights treatries era. To have a citizenship is a human right so since these DDHH Treatries become Ius Cogens (Obligatory International Righs based on International costume) the pacts between countries are no longer needed.

But usually, when there was a war between two countries you can´t have both citizenship. Argentina and England is a simple example.

Bajo_cero2 said:
But usually, when there was a war between two countries you can´t have both citizenship. Argentina and England is a simple example.

The war for control of the Malvinas took place almost 30 years ago.

Is it possible for a Brit to have dual citizenship with Argentina now?

Johnno said:
I have found some of the info here extremely helpful in working out what my game plan is - reading everything here I get the impression that I will be okay doing my first year on the tourist visa but that I should get a move with getting married to my lady as soon as possible and then applying for residency so that I am legal as soon as possible - or should I say that in this hypothetical situation I have described this would be the best way to proceed ? :)

Thanks to all - I guess I am going to be busy over the next year or so :)

To marry is the fastest way to deal with your papers but, then you will have to deal with your wife everyday :D:D instead of once a year with migration agents.

steveinbsas said:
The war for control of the Malvinas took place almost 30 years ago.

Is it possible for a Brit to have dual citizenship with Argentina now?

Well, tricky question.

1) Can a British become Argentinian?.
Yes. Law 346 nothing says about it.
The law that prohibit it was enacted for a dictator, so during democracy it was declared invalid.
However, for sure you will have to go to Supreme Court to win the case.

2) Can a British citizen have dual citizenship?

a) Argentina as signed human rights treaties, citizenship is a right. The answer is yes. But, once Argentinian, in Argentinian territory you are Argentinian.
b) England? I don´t know.

One important clarification:
The standard for citizenship is 2 years of continuous residence.

Case a) you have temporary residence.
Then after 2 years you have the choice between 1) Permanent residency 2) citizenship.
Permanent residence is NOT a requisite for citizenship.

Case b) You have been living 2 years here going to Colonia. Your residence (synonymous of home) is in Argentina. And the travels to Colonia doesn´t mean you change your will to live in Argentina. Judges will reject you papers, so you have to appeal to Supreme Court. Why Supreme Court? Because there is a debate about what residence means. Residence is mentioned at the Argentinian Constitution and Supreme Court is the interpreter of the Constitution.

Case c) You have temporary or permanent residence but you have traveled recently.

Constitution says 2 years of continuous residence. The solution is the same than case C becase you have to debate about what continuous residence means. If you go for vacation abroad you are not changing your home place.

Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
One important clarification:
The standard for citizenship is 2 years of continuous residence.

Regards

You previously posted that with a DNI and two years of continuous residence that it was just a matter of filing the papers (without a lawyer) to receive citizenship.

Could you please describe the required paperwork and where it must be filed as well as any additional steps that must be taken.

Back