Chavez Is Dead...

I wish this was universal, but recent history shows otherwise and gives me plenty of reason to worry.

1991 – Iraq and Kuwait. Operation Desert Storm:
1992–2003 – Iraq. Iraqi no-fly zones:
1992–1995 – Somalia. Operation Restore Hope
1993-1995 - Bosnia. Operation Deny Flight
1994–1995 – Haiti. Operation Uphold Democracy
1995 – Bosnia. Operation Deliberate Force:
1998 – Iraq. Operation Desert Fox
1998 – Afghanistan and Sudan. Operation Infinite Reach
1999 – Serbia. Operation Allied Force
2001 – War in Afghanistan
2003–2011 – War in Iraq
2011 - Libya. Operation Odyssey Dawn

Plus the fact that the US military spending is more than all other countries in the world, COMBINED, gives little credence to he claim that "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] People in the United States do not like war". Finally, the peace loving USA has a LONG history of military interventions in Latin America for the benefit of US corporate interests. But hey, don't take my word for it. You can hear directly from the mouth of US Marine General Smedley Butler, the most decorated war hero in US History. So yeah, I think I have plenty to worry about.[/background]

I didn't say we are pacifists (although I am). I said people in the US do not like war. And yes, we do have a wild wild west mentality sometimes (point the gun and shoot the bad guy). But, in order for there to be a war, there has to be some sort of point to it for the public to support it. No one says, we need oil, and then the public supports the war. They really have to come up with a reason for it, because it costs lives, money, and no one wants to be unjust or the bad guy. Do you really think after lying/being mistaken about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that the public is going to accept a war right now? If the public doesn't support it, it won't happen. That is why the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ended, because (many) people realized they had been duped by corporations, and the support dwindled down to almost nothing.

We do not like to go to war just because at the drop of a hat. That's my whole point in the post. That is a common conception that people have about the United States public, that we will do anything just to be rich or something like that. The governments that come into power are another matter, unfortunately. They will do whatever is necessary to keep their power and wealth. But the average citizen is not like that. Are they gullibly naive? After having lived in other countries and having my eyes opened, I would say yes, that many people are. By the way, at least 6 of those conflicts could be considered just wars. Although I never support violence of any kind, if we go to war for just reasons, why didn't we do anything about Rwanda?

Since the death by drone of Abdulrahman al-Aulaqi while in Yemen, who was born and raised in Denver, it is a pretty much an accepted policy.

Right, by "we" I meant the citizenry, not the U.S. govt. I believe the targeting of US citizens with drones was a secret program when al-Aulaqi was killed, no? My point is that this is the first time the drone program is being brought out into the open and debated, and the way the media and the congress are framing the issue implies that we are all okay with the killing of US citizens abroad. That in itself is an outrage and it's amazing to me that no one is questioning the use of drones to kill US citizens at all. Frankly, to kill anyone outside of a war zone. It is scary the precedents the US is setting in its fight against terror, declaring the entire world a battlefield and pretty much saying no one is off limits.

Right, by "we" I meant the citizenry, not the U.S. govt. I believe the targeting of US citizens with drones was a secret program when al-Aulaqi was killed, no? My point is that this is the first time the drone program is being brought out into the open and debated, and the way the media and the congress are framing the issue implies that we are all okay with the killing of US citizens abroad. That in itself is an outrage and it's amazing to me that no one is questioning the use of drones to kill US citizens at all. Frankly, to kill anyone outside of a war zone. It is scary the precedents the US is setting in its fight against terror, declaring the entire world a battlefield and pretty much saying no one is off limits.

But remember, politically we are much more aware and sophisticated than the Argentinians, right? :rolleyes:

Interesting, Cristina will return today and miss the main event: funeral. So much for loyalty and friendship. Strange?

http://www.cronista....30307-0112.html
a commentator on mercopress.....

KFC has left the Chavez fest early so she can sail under a ' peace ' flag on that Libertad with a youth crew for the Falklands, or something like that to steal the thunder caused by a massive Falklands yes vote. Imagine, a sailing ship being threatened by Typhoons and an Astute class. Would look like Israeli tanks attacking Palestinians. Or, have they got the balls?

:lol:

The person that said U. S. citizens don´t like war was being accurate. But they (we) are so gullible. I hope I´m not any more but I sure used to be. As far back as WWII Roosevelt had to badger the Japanese with embargos, set up the navy as a target at Pearl and force the top officers to stand down when they knew the Japanese were going to attack. He sacrificed those men in order to convince the people to join in the war that was already well under way This has been declassified now so there is no doubt. It´s documented.

I don´t know how many times they have done that in order to benefit their own interests. But it is not the people of the U.S. until they are deceived into thinking there is a reason. Most are not wimps and they will defend their wives and children, and sometimes others being abused . . . and they will defend their country if they are convinced there is a reason. But it is not because they like war.

Back