Cheapest Way To Colonia For The Day?

Thanks for all the great info and advice, everyone.

ajoknoblauch, for me, both terminals are convenient, but I didn't realize that Colonia Express went out of La Boca. Good to know.

lucha54, is there a bus to Colonia for the day? That would be one long day, no?

I like a bumpy boat ride, Possum, so that's no problem for me.

I checked out Seacat's online reservation system, and it looks like the lowest fare round trip is around AR$500, and that's for the speed boat (the Colonia Express fare above is for the speed boat also). It's also not as flexible with the days (although it looks like there are more options for time of day); you have to plan more in advance (not a big deal, but just noting it).

I'll probably be going more than once in the next couple months, so I may try the speed boat one time and the ferry on another trip and compare.

Club La Nacion has 2x1 on Colonia Express.

Try Cacciola, from Tigre (I think they have a bus from the city to Tigre)

Anyone staying here for +1/2 years should try at least once Cacciola from Tigre (boat reaches Carmelo in Uruguay). It's a bit longer (2 hours 1/2 if I recall) but it's like a small cruise through the delta & islands. Many birds to see, something different.
Don't know if the ATMs in Carmelo have greenbacks though.

Anyone staying here for +1/2 years should try at least once Cacciola from Tigre (boat reaches Carmelo in Uruguay). It's a bit longer (2 hours 1/2 if I recall) but it's like a small cruise through the delta & islands. Many birds to see, something different.
Don't know if the ATMs in Carmelo have greenbacks though.

Slightly off-topic, but Cacciola day trip to Isla Martín García from Tigre is worth doing.

lucha54, is there a bus to Colonia for the day? That would be one long day, no?

No, but you can take the overnight bus there and overnight back... not ideal but cheap and I heard the customs people don't ask ANY questions when you pass through at 2AM!

I need to go to Uruguay, too, so last week I went to all the three offices(Buquebus, SeaCat, and Colonia Express) on Av. Corboba(they are all in within a few blocks of each other, between 800-900). From what I was told the SeaCat round-trip on the same day to Colonia costs 354 pesos, including all taxes. For that fare they will confirm a seat for you on the 8:45AM or 12:45PM boats. The returns are at either 16:45 or 20:30. All of those boats are on Buquebus and take 60 minutes for the crossings. That seems to be the cheapest fare. But, according to the person at SeaCat, you had better be sure that you will not have to change, or cancel, the reservation because they will give you no refund if something comes up. The thing that I found out that sounded good to me was that Colonia Express is running a special for one-way fares to Colonia for 197pesos, each way(393.20 pesos round-trip, which includes the 20% taxes). Unlike with Seacat, on Colonia Express you don't have to complete the trip on the same day. For Montevideo the cost is 246 pesos, each way, or 492 pesos for the round-trip, including all taxes. The desk person at Colonia Express recommended that I buy a one-way ticket from Buenos Aires to Uruguay, and then buy the return in Colonia(or Montevideo), if I am not sure how long I might need to be there. He said that special price is available at the offices in Argentina or Uruguay.

Back