Christina Kirchners speech is a inspiration

All politicians steal, but some do good work in between trips to the bank. Our longtime San Isidro ruling dynasty, the Posses, are supposedly corrupt yet the "partido" works well. The streets are well lit and clean, trash is picked up on time, and many building projects are getting done: extensions of the sewage system, railway underpasses, a new hospital, riverside parks, and public plazas.

On the other hand the Kirchners concentrate their energy in enriching themelves and stealing what they need to subsidize their supporters, while ignoring the many things that are going steadily downhill. For instance, the existing rail system is falling apart but they plan to build a "bullet train" - of course, there's not much money to be squeezed out track repairs, but plenty of kickbacks in a high-speed train contract.

There are gas shortages in winter and power shortages in summer. The INDEC has lost all credibility, and there's a capital flight out of Argentina. Many international firms have cleared out and moved their SA offices to Brazil and Chile. Public schools are underfunded and ignored. The CONICET is starved for funds... The list is endless.

The K's lost last year's elections, and had to kiss their rubber-stamp Congress goodbye - I guess that "so-called" 70% of Argentines who hate them voted in that one. They will be at the urns again in 2011.

AlexfromLA said:
I would expect a more sophisticated level of political understanding and discourse from Latin Americans. Maybe that is asking too much from a third world country that was either too afraid of or too happy with military dictatorships.

This has been asked here ad nauseum, but what keeps you here? With all the world to choose from, why Buenos Aires? I honestly want to understand. If you don't feel like discussing this in public, perhaps you could send a PM.

I'm in Argentina because of my stage in life, and my family - if I were twenty years younger and could talk my daughter into it, I'd move to Tuscany or to Colorado in a flash.

Thanks for your answer, Alex. It helps me understand a bit.

I wish I knew enough about computers to set up a multiple-choice poll for people to check their reasons for being here - something like the "where do you live" poll.

SaraSara said:
Thanks for your answer, Alex. It helps me understand a bit.

I wish I knew enough about computers to set up a multiple-choice poll for people to check their reasons for being here - something like the "where do you live" poll.

Easy to set-up, I can do it, just provide choices

I guess we could include :
Family
Aventure
Job
Love (girlfriend / boyfriend)
Curiosity
Investment
Retirement
Stucked here due to the world crisis (lol)
Still wondering

what else ?

Buenos Aires attracts a unusual bunch of expats that would not ever be seen in Hong Kong or Singapore for example. I believe many come here as its seen as the last frontier and a barrier from the world and its problems . Of course it is not without its own problems and over time you will see that clearly.

I also know many expats who just came on holidays and fell deeply in love with Buenos Aires and decided to move in an instant here . Many of these same expats have fallen out of love with this city as there decisions were not based on reality and life here was shown to be not as enchanting as they imagined.

I visited 8 times and decided on my last visit to take the plunge . I have never regretted my decision.

French jurist said:
Easy to set-up, I can do it, just provide choices

Thanks... Here are some more choices:

Passing through
Climate
Cost of living (rapidly becoming negative)
Third World conveniences (household help, etc.)
Gay friendly
Low medical insurance

Perhaps it could be a "check as many as appropriate" kind of poll.

My Argentine kin and friends know there are many foreign tourists in Argentina, but know nothing about the resident expat colony. They are amazed to learn that there are enough expats to have a forum, and often ask me : "But WHY are they here?" I'd like to have an answer to that.

Sara Sara good points . Unfortunately many moved here because it was cheap and now they are suffering as the costs of living are equal to their home countries.

Argentina is a chameleon and changes rapidly so be prepared for a bumpy ride if you live here.

SaraSara said:
Thanks... Here are some more choices:

Passing through
Climate
Cost of living (rapidly becoming negative)
Third World conveniences (household help, etc.)
Gay friendly
Low medical insurance

Perhaps it could be a "check as many as appropriate" kind of poll.

My Argentine kin and friends know there are many foreign tourists in Argentina, but know nothing about the resident expat colony. They are amazed to learn that there are enough expats to have a forum, and often ask me : "But WHY are they here?" I'd like to have an answer to that.

Good suggestions, I'll set-up the poll today. More suggestions welcomed (I'll include too Pericles "last frontier" idea)

A last addition:

Third World priorities - it is important to spend lots of time with friends, or celebrating birthdays.

gouchobob said:
No it was an attempt at humor and making fun of the loony lefties that post such ridiculous statements in support of the corrupt and incompetent K's.

That's the problem with this kind of people anyone who opposes their way of thinking are lefties, reds, marxist or whatever they think it's appropriate to put a tag on....they suffer from 'the' tagging people syndrome.

Well I'm sorry to disappoint you gouchobob but I'm not, I never was and I never will be..

Not that I care what do you think of me, what I care is to be able to say what I think is fair and reasonable without to be afraid of the consequences.

No long ago in this country for saying what you think aloud could end in your body be sent to the bottom of the River Plate, so here and now your type of mentality is not welcome, maybe in the 70's with some friends like H. Kissinger and Videla will be more appropriate.

gouchobob said:
..... loony lefties that post such ridiculous statements in support of the corrupt and incompetent K's.

It's quite clear that your opinions are out from plain ignorance of this country legacy of past incompetent governments corruption, if you think this is an incompetent and corrupt government you don't know how really bad was before, if you knew you will very, very much pleased on how this government is running the country....but of course who can blame you your opinions are based on what your hear now and then in the pub, a good source to know nothing about anything.

Back