Cons to getting Argentine citizenship for Americans?

el_expatriado said:
Cristina could wake up tomorrow, brainwashed by D'Elia and decide to throw out all the foreigners who come from the northern hemisphere from Argentina and everyone who has permanent residency could be deported. It is much safer to be a citizen of the country you reside in, especially if you have significant investments there.

be carefull here. She doesn t need him, that s the way she thinks: decreto 616/2010 established deportation for non mercosur, higher requirements, the new law about land ownership.
She is advancing in a clear way.
Regards

el_expatriado said:
If they decided to kick out foreigners, maybe they'd make an exception for those of us who are married to Argentines. Or more likely, they'd kick out my wife as well for being a vendepatria. Hahaha.

they don t care, i have many cases of foreigners with native families and deportation order. You can solve it only at SC or with citizensip.

regarding the tax debate, it is useless unless you want to be at the record guiness book for being the only one who pays 100% of the taxes. Nobody do that, so, taxes are cheaper here.

I can think of one big downside. In Argentina, you are obligated to vote. The voting process in Argentina, ( like many other systems) is very ´third world¨. Depending where you live and depending what election, this process may take 3, 4 hours. It is a nightmare. Having a USA passport is enough, in my opinion. If you do not plan to purchase land, or visit Cuba, the Argentine passport has little to no use.

argcalif2010 said:
I can think of one big downside. In Argentina, you are obligated to vote. The voting process in Argentina, ( like many other systems) is very ´third world¨. Depending where you live and depending what election, this process may take 3, 4 hours. It is a nightmare. Having a USA passport is enough, in my opinion. If you do not plan to purchase land, or visit Cuba, the Argentine passport has little to no use.

I never encountered this supposed problem. Voting was always straightforward.
Argentines don't require a visa for Russia either. Turkey is also visa-free for Argentina.
It is always good to two nationalities, you never know what will happen with this crazy World.

argcalif2010 said:

I would agree, Argentinian citizen would be pretty very far down the list of countries I would want citizenship from, somewhat ahead of North Korea and Cuba but far down the list. I don't think the ability to evade taxes as mentioned in a earlier post is a selling point and is an indicator of other problems in Argentina. I personally don't see the need for a second passport unless the only one you have is from someplace like Argentina.

willwright said:
I would agree, Argentinian citizen would be pretty very far down the list of countries I would want citizenship from, somewhat ahead of North Korea and Cuba but far down the list. I don't think the ability to evade taxes as mentioned in a earlier post is a selling point and is an indicator of other problems in Argentina. I personally don't see the need for a second passport unless the only one you have is from someplace like Argentina.

That's fine. There are a lot of us who feel differently. I have lived here for 8 years now, I love this country, my wife is Argentine, I own land in a border area, I have quite a few other investments here, and I don't like the hostile attitude here towards foreigners (especially northerners). So, it only makes sense to go the extra step and get citizenship.

I agree, if you are not planning on being here for the long term and only plan to stay here 1 or 2 years and then move on, you're not going to invest here, you don't plan on having a family here, then it doesn't make sense to be a citizen of Argentina.

But for those of us who have a real connection with this country and who plan on being here for the long term, it makes sense for many different reasons.

el_expatriado said:
That's fine. There are a lot of us who feel differently. I have lived here for 8 years now, I love this country, my wife is Argentine, I own land in a border area, I have quite a few other investments here, and I don't like the hostile attitude here towards foreigners (especially northerners). So, it only makes sense to go the extra step and get citizenship.

I agree, if you are not planning on being here for the long term and only plan to stay here 1 or 2 years and then move on, you're not going to invest here, you don't plan on having a family here, then it doesn't make sense to be a citizen of Argentina.

But for those of us who have a real connection with this country and who plan on being here for the long term, it makes sense for many different reasons.

Definitely in El Expatriado's case it makes sense to get the citizenship. He risks little to nothing to get it and with Argentina's corrupt, inefficient, ineffective regime who knows what could come down the road for those that aren't Citizens.

But the honest truth is VERY few expats will be in the situation like El Expatriado. The mere fact that you have to worry about a change in law that would affect non Citizens is itself a clear sign of how horrible the government is in Argentina.

Most expats don't buy down in the border areas. Most of the wealthy locals in Argentina already have a second passport from somewhere in Europe and consider their Argentina passport almost worthless.

I agree if you have significant assets in Argentina then it makes sense but for the vast majority reading this board you would never even want to think about getting citizenship in Argentina. Most American expats that have kids will most likely move back to the USA in the long run to raise their kids.

I know many American expats that had kids and just about every single one of them has already left Argentina or plans to soon to raise their kids in the USA where the quality of life, safety, education is much much better than Argentina.

Bajo_cero2 said:
be carefull here. She doesn t need him, that s the way she thinks: decreto 616/2010 established deportation for non mercosur, higher requirements, the new law about land ownership.
She is advancing in a clear way.
Regards

Yes, that land ownership law worried me. Also the fact that they nationalized the part of YPF that was in foreign hands instead of the part that belonged to the Eskenazi family. It shows a clear preference against foreigners here in Argentina.

I started back in 2006 with my trámite, but after all this stuff happened last year, I got a lawyer to speed things up and get this taken care of. I am worried about the increasingly anti-foreigner attitudes.

earlyretirement said:
I know many American expats that had kids and just about every single one of them has already left Argentina or plans to soon to raise their kids in the USA where the quality of life, safety, education is much much better than Argentina.

This really depends on your individual circumstances. My wife and I have a great quality of life here. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are safe and there are excellent private schools, better even than private schools in the US. You can send your children to a private international school here and they will finish speaking 3-4 languages and with a level of understanding of the world that most US kids will not achieve. The US is a very introverted country, while Argentina is a very outward looking country -- much more in tune with what is happening globally.

We aren't planning on having kids yet, but when we do, we are not worried about the quality of life they will have here.

Back