Counterfeit $100 Pesos From An Atm On Scalabrini!

tTLXhnt.jpg
This is a cheap copy from copy machine. A typical falso note in BsAs. But hard to tell when you are wasted in taxi at 3am.

The only places I've gotten counterfeit bills from, that I'm aware of, were once from an ATM at CitiBank on Santa Fe (near 9 de Julio) and twice from taxi drivers. The ATM was about 5-6 years ago (ah those were the days when there was no real blue rate! Or at least the difference was centavos) and was only one bill mixed in with a bunch of others. It actually astounds me that you got a bunch of them from the machine. I'd say someone in the bank is embezzling...

I've never had one from an arbolito or cueva and have never understood why they have such a bad reputation among many expats.

That's a really weird story.

Due to the high volume printing of pesos, some bills had defects in the past 18/24 months but here the serial numbers are very different.
Where do the bills they put in ATMs come from? They must be perfectly "ironed" (or whatever the verb) so don't they come from the casa central of the bank or the banco central?
If someone inside the bank was taking such risks, he would mix fake & authentic bills, but not place fake bills in a row (unless he wants to be discovered really quickly).

Could it be that the pizza delivery guy switched your two bills noticing you were oh-la-la, the pizzeria manager noticed they were fake and asked the delivery guy to come back to change them? If that's the case, at least one of those 3 bills is authentic.

Can someone please explain to me what do you see in these photos ... to indicate a counterfeit?

First thing I would do, without spending too much time, would be to go ask a friendly merchant (kiosco, butcher) nearby who knows you and ask if possibly 2 of the 3 bills are fake (or whatever). A local merchant will know for sure and you'll have spent 5 minutes of your time.

It seems the watermark is not there. Also the silver things on both sides should make a continuous line from end to end when held against the light. They only printed some silverish spots on those bills here.

Back