Counterfeit $100 Pesos From An Atm On Scalabrini!

It seems the watermark is not there. Also the silver things on both sides should make a continuous line from end to end when held against the light. They only printed some silverish spots on those bills here.
Thanks, now I see it.

In all the years here , I have never seen or received a counterfeit bill.

In all the years here , I have never seen or received a counterfeit bill.

I once got a 10-peso bill that was trucho, in change. Given the amount of money I've handled in Argentina, I can't much complain.

Re: Ajo responses.

I have gone from whole sentences to one word !

When I was on vacation this past January, I was afraid that I was going to get a fake bill from la Calle Florida. However, although my Argentine friend said that one of the bills looks off, I never had any problems using any of the pesos while on vacation. I have heard that the cuevas try to maintain a good reputation as an alternative banking / exchange system, so it's probably not in their best interests to give out fake notes...however, be careful, because they did try to short change me, so that is something to be aware of...

BTW: For those of you who speak Spanish, this is an interesting video on youtube of an Argentine woman who tried to make a withdrawl from her account via an ATM. The ATM gave her the receipt, but not the money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSshc-Z0OkY

When I was in Bariloche, the ATM's actually ran out of money on Sunday, so I guess that problems with ATM's in Argentina are more common than one would hope...

The easiest way to spot a fake bill, usually, is indeed the watermark. It should be a gray-ish image, well-defined, and visible on both sides of the bill when held up to the light. As mentioned also, the strip is a good telltale.

The best counterfeits I've seen had a watermark, but you could tell it was actually printed on one side of the bill (different visibility from one side to the other) and the image was fuzzy and broken a bit, as if it was copied.

The easiest way to spot a fake bill, usually, is indeed the watermark. It should be a gray-ish image, well-defined, and visible on both sides of the bill when held up to the light. As mentioned also, the strip is a good telltale.

The best counterfeits I've seen had a watermark, but you could tell it was actually printed on one side of the bill (different visibility from one side to the other) and the image was fuzzy and broken a bit, as if it was copied.
4qeJ1M3.jpg

I'm holding it up to the light here in this picture, and there's the watermark, but it's a pretty shitty looking one.
I was trading dollars to a local one day, and he gave me some tips.
The one I found most useful is to take the bill, and on the back, the inky part showing the men on horses... rub it up against a receipt or something. The ink should transfer onto the receipt a bit if it's real.

There's a bit of wear at bottom right and in lower left corner. Nice fake to think of that... If it has circulated, why so many suddenly in an ATM?

Weird, hard to judge from pics, check with a friendly neighbour merchant.

Back