Dating in Buenos Aires.

mini said:
I was going to say the sort of the same thing. I think the all the "therapy" adds fuel to the fire instead of helping. But I hesitated as my knowledge of this is rather superficial. It was just a "feeling" I was getting hearing others tell me about their decade long therapy. There seems to be lots of navel gazing and "all about me", "woe is me" attitudes, which seem to be reinforced or encouraged in all this therapy.

I can also see what nlaruccia is talking about, that lots of times the friendships can be superficial so that you have noone else to talk to but your therapist.

The subject of friendship and dating here in Buenos Aires and its relationship to psychology is interesting. Today I was having a conversation with one of my Argie friends about the difference between friendship here and in other countries. He was reluctant to admit it, but he said unless it's a life long friendship you don't talk about problems and personal inner struggles that you might be experiencing. Case in point, he was having lunch with an old female friend and hesitated to ask her about a serious problem she's been having with her daughter. Why? It was preferable to discuss lighter, more enjoyable things. While having dinner with several Argie friends the other day, one admitted that after her recent break-up she's has begun to feel lonely. Everyone got uncomfortable and quickly changed the subject to gossip about the latest Argentinean celebrity. Hmmm.....is admitting an emotional problem such a serious defect? A Scarlet Letter? So my friend and I kept chatting about the dependency patients have on psychologists. As it was so intelligently put to me the other day, "In Argentina, your psychologist is your best friend."

Sorry but this is too much reality for one thread. I don't really want to know all the girls i'm dating are bat shit crazy, emotionally unstable and repressed.

Sooooo did you hear about the soccer dude dating that actress chick ?

;)

He had Vicky hasta la muerte tattooed on his body only to be divorced about 3 months later

That's the problem with tattoos you can't get rid off them easy.

A woman feeling a little lonely at times after a difficult break-up hardly makes her emotionally unstable....it makes her human.

nlaruccia said:
A woman feeling a little lonely at times after a difficult break-up hardly makes her emotionally unstable....it makes her human.

I don't think he was talking about your story. I think he was talking about the thread in general...

Anyway, boys will be boys. The think women are histericas & they are little angels. :rolleyes:

I found this thread very interesting, and I thought I would just add something a little different. I have several friends here from other countries who are married to Argentine men. Once the initial thrill of newness has worn off, it has been extremely difficult for them to be away from their home countries for such extended periods of time. Without exception, they have all been here at least five years, and they would all like to return to their own countries (at least for awhile), but feel like they can't. Things are more complicated because they have children, and their children are becoming rooted in this culture with their friends and their schools. One of my friends here is from Europe and is divorced. She wants to return home, but she doesn't want to separate her children from their father. Still, all of her family is there, and she knows that the longer she stays in Argentina, the more likely it will be that her children will consider themselves Argentines, and, even if she returns with them to Europe, her children may eventually move back here and be thousands of miles away from her. I'm all for dating people from other countries, but it can definitely get very, very complicated.

She can't do it without the permission of the father, so that's pretty much a no-go. And there is actually pretty much no reason for him to agree to that.

The best advice would be to think before you get kids and if you are involved in a International relationship think even harder.....

Either way if you are in your late 20's/early 30's you are probally better off aiming at girls your age range because they are most likely to be more stable emotional, live on there own, have some kind of careers and often study

A girl in her early 20/mid 20 sounds more interesting but it should basically be a one night thing or a 2 date thing because they have MOST likely not grown up

yeah I wasn't talking about you nlaruccia just this awkward thread in general. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Back