Dating in Buenos Aires.

i came to Baires expecting no good things from the men - I'd heard way too many horror stories!
but my first weekend, i met a boy in a boliche, and he told me right away 'i want to be your boyfriend.' i thought he was crazy and maybe strung him a long for a bit...but after awhile i found myself completely under his romantic spell. We've been together for six months and I totally trust him! He's the best boyfriend ever.
and he is super hot ... http://mybeautifulair.wordpress.com/

Everybody tells me that there are only tarados and drunks in a boliche, but I am happy you found your Don Juan

Well I gotta say, my boyfriend is not Argentine and I do all of the housework. Basically, he's kinda lazy, he would do chores if I asked him to but we don't share the same standards of clean. I prefer to do it myself than to start fights over it (I am sure any feminist is probably angered at my passiveness) but I found that he is a good cook and enjoys it, so on the days I don't feel like cooking I ask him to do it and he always does without any problems. I actually used to teach a conversational class which I used the topic of woman in the workforce and household chores being split. I can't remember the statistics off the top of my head but it basically came down to one major truth: All around the world men lack to do their fair share of household chores. In some countries it was a bit better than others but still, they were globally lazy creatures. So all I am saying is that I don't know if you can really pin this one on "argentine men" I think its just a men problem in general.

AlexfromLA said:
Lol,

Why don't you people have maids ?

Well, I can't answer for everyone but there are two reasons for me. I know maids are common here but I am still in the American mindset that they are for snobby people or something like that. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of somebody else picking up my mess.

Also, it seems like an unnecessary expense. I am kind of a cheap person and if I can find a cheaper way to do something I probably will. I would rather save the money for something else. I know you can hire a bolivian maid for like 10 pesos an hour but I would feel like I was exploiting that person so I'd have to pay her more and then it'd get expensive.

Well...It took me and my husband about a year to find a maid. We needed someone who could fit around our working hours (so that one or other of us would be at the house while she was there) and he was unwilling to try someone who didn't come recommended by someone we knew. When we finally found someone, she cleaned for us for about a year, twice a week. We paid her an agreed fixed rate for three hours of cleaning each time (our apartment is pretty small). From about four months onwards she began to do less and less work and was leaving after less than two hours (and charging us the same rate). The crunch came when we noticed that she was taking bottles of spirits from us about every two weeks. It was literally costing us twice as much in alcohol!
I'm always on the look out for someone else, but I just haven't found anyone yet... And it's a big expense for us, so we're pretty cautious about who we hire.

Back