Dating in Buenos Aires.

I don't really feel like I am suffering. I have a small apartment, it only takes maybe an hour or so to straighten up. If you just use the "clean as you go" method a place can pretty much stay clean with very little effort. If you want a maid that's okay, there's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with prefering to do it yourself.

Eternalnewbie said:
There are other options. We have a maid, not because we "need" one, but because we want one and can afford it. We are not of the "suffering is noble" school of thought.

NICA said:
I am a 31 y/o argentinian girl and I want to give my point of view.
I have lived abroad (US, UK) and recently came back home.
I've dated both argentinians and foreigners here and abroad.
I am middle-middle upper class here, world travelled, university educated with top school post-graduate studies (Italy - UK)
My experiences dating foreigners, specially from the US was a nightmare, I found them having a lack of culture, world view, elegance and manners, they were mean, competitive within a relationship (a girlfriend is supposed to be your partner, not your enemy!) and most of all, cheap.
Here in Argentina, if I date a guy from my same social frame, we would treat me as a princess (not only me, but to any other argentinian girl) pick me up with his car, invite me dinner, go clubbing after that, and say nice things to me...
But when I dated expats in BA
1) they had no car to pick me up
2) they had no money to invite me dinner
3) they had no manners and said mean, disrespectful things to me
4) they had no ability to appreciate someone who is elegant and has class, they just expect to meet a backpacker who has no femininity but is practical and pays half of his rent.
(And those expats I dates where young professionals, lawyers, etc, who were supposed to have great jobs in the US/UK)

Women here ARE independent but keep their FEMININITY,
I am a lawyer, I achieved great goals in my life, have my own apartment in Recoleta, a nice car, etc, but I still want a man who makes me feel as a woman, I dress in a feminine way for my date, I use high heels and I appreciate someone who opens the door for me...
And that's what argentinian men like from argentinian women, someone who is independent, has a personality, but also keeps her femininity...
When living abroad and dating guys who where supposed to have 'good' job, they salary didn't allow them much more than being able to pay the rent, living with roommates and not eating out very often, tI guess hat's why we are having so many expats living here in Argentina because of world economic crises...
When living abroad I found guys in their 20's 30's -with a good education and 'good' jobs- not being able to save much or plan a future/family since their only chance to own a house was getting a 30 years mortgage credit and work hard as hell to pay it, praying everyday not to get fired... so please, foreign guys in their 20's 30's even if they are well educated professionals don't live a dreamt life!
There's a bigger chance that an argentinian guy with a good job (a lawyer, etc) is able to live a nicer life, buy property, raise a family and travel abroad staying in a HOTEL, not a HOSTEL!

With this attitude and the kind of woman you probably are, I feel sorry for the sucker who might eventually shack up with you...

Next to American women, Portenas and women from Mexico City are about the most entitled, delusional c*nts you're likely to run into anywhere in the world...

laureltp said:
I don't really feel like I am suffering. I have a small apartment, it only takes maybe an hour or so to straighten up. If you just use the "clean as you go" method a place can pretty much stay clean with very little effort. If you want a maid that's okay, there's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with prefering to do it yourself.

The responses came as a result of the sarcastic tone your comment took, implying that people who have a maid or a mother are somehow less adult than you. Although it doesn't matter all that much, our apartment is gigantic (4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, dining room, living room, sitting room, eat-in kitchen, and an office), and both my wife and I work full-time. Cleaning this place is itself virtually a full-time job, and throw in preparing one meal a day, and one of us would need to quit his or her job to do what we pay our housekeeper to do.

And we are also more or less adults, although sad to say, both our mothers are dead.

polostar88 said:
Next to American women, Portenas and women from Mexico City are about the most entitled, delusional c*nts you're likely to run into anywhere in the world...

Better stick to those women from impoverished countries that can be ordered via Internet - today's version of mail-order brides.:D

I've heard they are properly subservient, and will put up with almost anything...

polostar88 said:
With this attitude and the kind of woman you probably are, I feel sorry for the sucker who might eventually shack up with you...

wow, and I thought Nica was bad with her dating criteria and definition of what is "femininity". "Next to American women"... Nice. With this attitude and the kind of man, sorry, I mean male you probably are, I feel sorry for the sucker who might eventually shack up with you, too. I feel so happy to exist outside of this world that you guys seem to inhabit.

AlexfromLA said:

Hah! Yeah, that's it. "What the f**k do women want? Everything."

AlexfromLA said:
That is one of the reasons I tend not to date Argentinian girls for too long, they are generally very shallow and materialistic and besides pleasant fripperies they usually have very little else to say. I have all those things that Nica was asking for in a date. But the fact that woman are looking for that as criteria to date me is a total turn off.

I lucked out and found a great Argentine girl myself, but in the month or so I was in Buenos Aires before I met her, I had the same damn conversation like a million times with Argentine girls I met. It got old fast.

What I tend to look for (and not just in girls, but in anyone I happen to be having a conversation with) is a curiosity about the world. Other things matter, of course, but first and foremost I need to know that someone is open-minded and wants to learn about the world. And, frankly, this is hard to come by in Argentina. Argentines, for a variety of reasons that we've discussed at length here at BAExpats.org, tend to be narrow-minded people. I was lucky, but it's really not easy to find someone genuinely cool and interesting and fun in Buenos Aires.

sorry about my sarcasm, i didnt mean for you to take is so seriously. :rolleyes:
Eternalnewbie said:
The responses came as a result of the sarcastic tone your comment took, implying that people who have a maid or a mother are somehow less adult than you. Although it doesn't matter all that much, our apartment is gigantic (4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, dining room, living room, sitting room, eat-in kitchen, and an office), and both my wife and I work full-time. Cleaning this place is itself virtually a full-time job, and throw in preparing one meal a day, and one of us would need to quit his or her job to do what we pay our housekeeper to do.

And we are also more or less adults, although sad to say, both our mothers are dead.

MizzMarr said:
wow, and I thought Nica was bad with her dating criteria and definition of what is "femininity". "Next to American women"... Nice. With this attitude and the kind of man, sorry, I mean male you probably are, I feel sorry for the sucker who might eventually shack up with you, too. I feel so happy to exist outside of this world that you guys seem to inhabit.

Umm...learn Engrish...."next to American women" means that American women are slightly worse in these ways than Portenas. Argentinian girls from the provinces are better in this regard...

There isn't a man who is a man who would ever agree to marry the typical American "professional" urban woman or the entitled Portena or Mexico City princess...why in the world would anyone put up with that?

Back