Dear Guests...

This is because in many places in Latin America the tourist is warned not to put the paper in the bowl, e.g. Peru, Cuba, etc.

Refer to the Southern Cone travel books to determine where it is safe to put your shit.
Many Latin Americans do this in US, keep the sh*ty toilet paper.

Why is this surprising? Have you never used a restroom in a gas station here? Or a restaurant? Or anywhere really - the waste bins are full of toilet paper. The norm is not to flush as far as I can tell. In fact lots of establishments have signs asking people not to put paper in the toilet.

(That's one Argentine habit I won't be embracing.)

Why is this surprising? Have you never used a restroom in a gas station here? Or a restaurant? Or anywhere really - the waste bins are full of toilet paper. The norm is not to flush as far as I can tell. In fact lots of establishments have signs asking people not to put paper in the toilet.

Very true however many gas stations have no paper to dispose off :eek:

In 7 years of living here, I have never once put the toilet paper in the waste bin. Let the floods come, but it's just too disgusting.

In 7 years of living here, I have never once put the toilet paper in the waste bin. Let the floods come, but it's just too disgusting.
Most houses and apartments are connected to the sewer with a 4, 5 or 6 inch pipe. If it floods it's not going to be because of the TP.

Which is why this is a habbit I've never understood. It's disgusting.

Most houses and apartments are connected to the sewer with a 4, 5 or 6 inch pipe. If it floods it's not going to be because of the TP.

Then why do 90% of the bathrooms in BsAs have a sign urging one to dispose of shit-covered toilet paper in a wastebasket?

San Francisco is full of buildings with old plumbing. If it's a problem, they usually have a sign asking you to hold the handle down longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOwi868XtL8

this is in London, but could well be here...

It's one thing to have old pipes, it's something else to have very poorly designed plumbing AND bad pipes AND poor maintenance, which I believe is the state of things here in many buildings. I have had problems in almost every building I've lived in here, no matter the age of the building (newest was a 5-year-old house in Garin). I've seen some of the plumbing that is done, and while far from an expert yet having dealt with living conditions on this planet for more than at least 30 years ( :) ), some of the things I've seen have amazed me. That goes for electricity too.

But I don't think that the paper would actually make a difference in most cases - unless it's because of the horrible paper here. Maybe it doesn't break up and dissolve as well as finer toilet paper does :D I don't know. Maybe it's some kind of strange holdover from when things were worse and no one really believes, given the usual state of any given building's plumbing issues, the pipes can "handle the load."

This topic of toilet paper in the waste basket is certainly not limited to Argentina either. It drives me nuts when family from Paraguay come to visit - it took me long enough with our girls, but they live with us! It's impossible to get visitors to overcome their ingrained reflex to dispose of used toilet paper in the trash can.

Back